To not fancy Brad Pitt or George Clooney and other cliches of our time

(223 Posts)
cushtie335 Sun 28-Jul-13 11:51:58

This is meant to be light-hearted and if you have an enormous crush on either (or both) of these fine actors, then fair play to you but am I alone in thinking that a lot of lazy, cliched chick lit presumes that just cos you're a heterosexual woman in your 40s you're automatically gagging for these two? Feel free to add your own most hated cliche, chick lit or otherwise.

labtest Mon 29-Jul-13 22:32:17

Gilbert Blythe is my ultimate male. The highest evolution of the species. I love him. Second choice would be Smith from Sex And The City but only once he'd shaved his head. I barely noticed him with the long hair.

Punkatheart Mon 29-Jul-13 22:35:47

I am a Mr Big girl, labtest.

MissFenella Mon 29-Jul-13 22:53:21

I fancy the characters rather than the actors, I may make an exception for Jeffrey Dean Morgan or Steve McQueen, as long as they don't speak.

HarleyQuinn Mon 29-Jul-13 23:12:38

I have never fancied any of the cliched hot men, my first celeb crush was Kenneth Branagh

I adore Robert Downey jr, Karl Urban, Paul Rudd, Carlo Rota, Gary Oldman and I quite fancy Christoph Waltz as well, I do like older guys.

yerwan Mon 29-Jul-13 23:28:21

Viggo Mortenson and gulp the Hoff about twenty years ago

ZingWidge Tue 30-Jul-13 02:26:00

actually I think YADBVU OP!

if less people fancied them less would pay to see their films and then all the slebs could not live in such luxury. maybe they would have to sell their 54th car!
or buy fewer diamonds
or downsize their homes
and that would be just cruel!
after all having only one poxy outdoor pool is just laughable!
grin

everlong Tue 30-Jul-13 03:53:31

Shame on you!

Nobody mentioned the beautiful one - Dave Grohl! Beats that Clooney one by a trillion miles.

runawaysimba Tue 30-Jul-13 04:44:14

DP and I both have massive crushes on Joel Kinnaman from (the American version of) The Killing. He is delicious. What DP doesn't know us that I watch YouTube videos of Kinnaman giving interviews in Swedish (he grew up there).
Related: Bradley Cooper giving interviews in French.
Zut alors. And whatever the Swedish equivalent is.

ever I've been thinking Dave grohl ll through this thread. Yum! The beard, the grunge, the gravelly voice <sigh>

everlong Tue 30-Jul-13 05:06:37

Thank god! Someone with taste grin

jamdonut Tue 30-Jul-13 08:41:03

Seems I have the Muse boys all to myself then!! grin

ZingWidge Tue 30-Jul-13 10:02:35

and I'm happy with Gabriel Macht. he's all mine then. grin

Fey56 Mon 29-Sep-14 20:53:42

I'd have to join the Hugh Jackman appreciation group - but may I add Jeff Goldblum ooh & Jeremy Northam .. Like Alan Rickman, such a lovely voice

Fey56 Mon 29-Sep-14 20:53:43

I'd have to join the Hugh Jackman appreciation group - but may I add Jeff Goldblum ooh & Jeremy Northam .. Like Alan Rickman, such a lovely voice

ithoughtofitfirst Mon 29-Sep-14 20:59:03

Did someone say Muse boys? I married dh because he looks like chris wolstenholme. He's got 6 kids. PHWOAR.

LiviaDruscillaAugusta Mon 29-Sep-14 21:01:03

I have never fancied Brad Pitt, George Clooney. Tom Cruise et al either. My longest crush is Sam Neill and I nearly fainted when he followed me on Twitter blush

My main two at the moment are Kevin Spacey and Peter Capaldi!

Fey56 Mon 29-Sep-14 21:05:14

Clooney & Pitt, well, they always seem so smug & self absorbed

Fey56 Mon 29-Sep-14 21:07:57

Sam Niell oh yes ... and he followed you on twitter ? There must be a story there?!

areyoubeingserviced Mon 29-Sep-14 21:13:18

Have never understood the obsession with
George Clooney- average looking bloke
Brad Pitt- average looking bloke
David Beckam- doesn't do it for me
Tom Cruise- nope

Give me the
Young Oliver Reed-
Young Sidney Poitier

LiviaDruscillaAugusta Mon 29-Sep-14 21:23:10

Fey Sadly not - I followed him and he followed me back. Unfortunately I have to spend most of my time on Twitter resisting the urge to send him a direct message pledging my love for him blushgrin

KissMyFatArse Mon 29-Sep-14 21:29:10

Andy Garcia - good shout!

KissMyFatArse Mon 29-Sep-14 21:30:07

Oh and Gabriel Byrne mmmm

Rainbunny Mon 29-Sep-14 21:49:50

Brad Pitt - utterly boring. GC - Hell no. He is good looking but you can sense the size of his ego a mile off. Not to mention his habit of dating much younger women who tend to be less powerful and lesser educated (not a slur against them, but he clearly doesn't like to date someone equal to him in age, experience or his perceived own intelligence). I honestly think he will have to make some fundamental changes to his attitude to make his marriage to AA work. It's all excitement, glamour and infatuation now but I wonder in the long run.

Dolly80 Mon 29-Sep-14 21:58:15

Brad Pitt, George Clooney nor David Beckham have ever floated my boat.

Give me Dave Grohl, Ewan McGregor or David Tenant any day.

Seems I'm not one for a conventional 'pretty boy' although for Dan Carter of the New Zealand rugby team I'd make a rare exception wink

Aaargh! I hate when we're supposed and presumed to find certain 'stars' attractive. They're usually no better than the line up at my local pub.
I much prefer the characterful and quirky. Joaquin Phoenix is my long term 'famous person' crush, though I admit to finding the sweary Peter Capaldi quite acceptable.

For those of you who mentioned Michael Sheen earlier, I have met him and can attest that he is a super lovely man, not at all 'big time' or up himself. Come to think of it, perhaps I quite fancy him too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now