Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that even if you're sleazy enough to think wolf-whistling is a compliment...

(242 Posts)
BedHanger Mon 08-Apr-13 18:00:21

There are some groups of women you'd spare from the honour of your attention?

Like, maybe, a sleep-deprived new mother with a month-old baby strapped to her chest?

Yeuch. Why do some men think this is ok?

fluckered Mon 08-Apr-13 18:03:26

think it would secretly make my day!

Naysa Mon 08-Apr-13 18:04:28

In a very embarrassing anti-feminist way I would be made up if I was wolf whistled when I was feeling rough. blush

thebody Mon 08-Apr-13 18:05:33

No at my age I would be grateful love.

It would cheer me right up! I havent been whistled at in years! sad

Backtobedlam Mon 08-Apr-13 18:11:04

Agree that it would make my day to get whistled at! I got ID'd in Waitrose buying some wine the other day...I was over the moon and couldn't thank the cashier enough. Few years ago if have been insulted by wolf whistle or being asked for ID, not these days!

thezebrawearspurple Mon 08-Apr-13 18:14:49

It's so offensive, men like that are pathetic and disgusting. They have no respect. I understand that there are some desperate women out there gagging for any attention they can get but I'm not one of them and I don't want men openly leering at me in the street. yanbu.

BedHanger Mon 08-Apr-13 18:15:33

God, really? confused. I found it a bit grim. I suspect he was taking the piss but even if he wasn't, yuck.

fluckered Mon 08-Apr-13 18:18:27

zebra i can assure you i am not desperate hmm

Hmm.

I get that lots of women don't like wolf-whistling, and I get why, but calling women who do like it 'sleazy' makes me uncomfortable. Is that not a little ironic?

BedHanger Mon 08-Apr-13 18:18:31

Bedlam, but being ID'd isn't the same, is it - I'd be chuffed at that too. Wolf-whistling is kind of aggressive, and I'm sure he thought I should be grateful. Yeah right!

fluckered Mon 08-Apr-13 18:19:11

aggresive? ah for the love of god.

Mrsrobertduvall Mon 08-Apr-13 18:19:15

One of the builders at the end of our road (all Polish and in their 40s) doffed his cap at me this morning.
I almost did a Queen Mother wave at him smile

BedHanger Mon 08-Apr-13 18:20:12

I was calling him sleazy LRD, not women who enjoy it. Men who think whistling at someone is a compliment = sleazy. Sorry about the unclear phrasing.

Oh, good! No, it was me misunderstand but I wasn't sure. Thanks for taking the time to explain to me.

As you were.

thebody Mon 08-Apr-13 18:25:32

Well I ain't either desperate or sleepy but probably mellowed so a wolf whistle wouldn't send me into a flat spin of angst, used to,but not these days.

seriouscakeeater Mon 08-Apr-13 18:26:38

I secretly like being bibbed or whistled at grin

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Mon 08-Apr-13 18:31:28

I got oi-oi-ed the other day whilst pushing the pram with 12 week old DS2 in it. I was so impressed I FB -ed it! Scorn at will grin

countrykitten Mon 08-Apr-13 18:35:40

How gross. Amazed that there are women who like this kind of sleaze from sad men. I presume these same women would be fine if it was their dh doing the whistling then? Because when I've been whistled at it's generally by fat, middle aged blokes who you just know are married with kids - not Brad Pitt alikes.

MooMooSkit Mon 08-Apr-13 18:35:49

I still get the odd wolf whistle but I find it really embarassing and just feel awkward!

sjupes Mon 08-Apr-13 18:39:34

I got a ''hello gorgeous'' a couple of weeks ago - 10 mins late for school, 5 months pregnant and pushing ds in his buggy.. couple of twats taking the piss so i told them to get lost and stop being dickish to pregnant women blush

I did look like a pasty fuzzy haired fat harridan and if i was more of a bitch i'd have took the piss out of me too!

complexnumber Mon 08-Apr-13 18:39:50

and fat middle aged blokes ought to know their place!

PeaceandFUCKINGLove Mon 08-Apr-13 18:41:15

Ugh, I hate it. Its just another form of leering and 99% of the time it is done by men who look like the ugly tree fell straight onto them.

Even worse are the ones who beep their horns as they drive past and sometimes call out to me as well. Do they think that by doing this, I will suddenly decide that I want to have sex with them?

No thanks, I'd rather gouge my own eyes out. hmm

countrykitten Mon 08-Apr-13 18:42:18

Exactly.

ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmmmmmmm Mon 08-Apr-13 18:42:28

Sooooo - it would be OK if the men were Brad Pitt lookalikesconfused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now