Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

to let my 16mo old walk around sainsburys with me?

(283 Posts)
Ozfrazror Thu 31-Jan-13 13:17:41

Only needed 2 things and ds recently loves walking everywhere so thought he'd enjoy wandering about with me in the veg aisle. He was indeed overjoyed at getting freedom from the trolley, but by the horrified looks more than one person gave me you'd have thought I was giving him knives to carry around!

Even though he was at the top of the aisle while I was in the middle at one point, of course I had a constant eye on him. However one particular older lady just kept looking between him and me with an obvious disapproval. So WIBU?

NotSoNervous Mon 04-Feb-13 17:32:11

I'm split, YANBU to let him walk around the shop with you but I think YABU to let him be that far away from you so other people would have to keep watch of him while there pushing their trollys and make sure he doesn't walk in front of them

NaturalBaby Mon 04-Feb-13 18:35:28

So if nobody agrees that it is unreasonable to let toddlers run all over the supermarket, why are we arguing?
Everyone's version of how far is too far is slightly different based on a million and one variables, but if you are too far to rush in and prevent glass jars smashing to the floor/a trolley smashing into your dc then that's obviously too far. Shoppers without a small toddler in tow will perceive any the distance to be too far when a mother who can sprint like Usain Bolt will be confident to let their little angel toddle an extra couple of feet.

Peacocklady Mon 04-Feb-13 23:01:55

Dd nearly got flattened by a trolley pushed by an old man while she was hovering at checkout. No way would I let a 16 mo that far from grasp.

atthewelles Tue 05-Feb-13 10:52:07

Goldenbear I have not 'assered that everyone is in agreement' with me. I have stated, correctly, that the majority of posters on this thread are in agreement 'with each other' regarding the issue of toddlers wandering around an aisle.

And people who happen to disagree with the minority of posters on here are not 'bursting at the seams with indignation'.
It is very hard to take your posts seriously when you seem to adapt the script to suit your arguments.

NaturalBaby Tue 05-Feb-13 11:01:04

The majority of posters in agreement about wandering toddlers aren't necessarily right, just because they are in the majority.

atthewelles Tue 05-Feb-13 11:03:57

But if you have evidence that something you are doing is obviously annoying the majority of other shoppers in the supermarket would you not just stop doing it? confused

Goldenbear Tue 05-Feb-13 12:29:38

Agree with Naturalbaby, a majority in agreement does not make what they're agreeing about, right!

How am I adapting the script? Some posters do seem
Intent on being offended, shocked, outraged about every day life. It is a totally disproportionate response to the OP's decision to let her child walk very near her in a shop. What is the big deal? I have never once seen a toddler mowed down by a trolley. Most normal people go around assessing the risk of an activity for their child based on the likelihood of something resulting in a problem. In weighing up that risk people are likely to include in their decision making process a consideration of whether they have witnessed an unsafe outcome with that activity before. if they have not they will probably let their child partake in that activity. Personally I have never seen a toddler mowed down in a supermarket and seeing as I am right next to my toddler and 5 year old when I let them pull the trolley basket thing I don't think it is unsafe.

NaturalBaby Tue 05-Feb-13 12:34:23

My 'evidence' is that none of my dc's have ever been involved in a crash/collision/supermarket demolition derby, there fore what ever I am doing as a parent is working perfectly well. We are not obviously annoying shoppers - we don't get tuts and looks and huffs and complaints when we go shopping, the opposite actually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now