The Feminist Pub (continued).

(1000 Posts)
UptoapointLordCopper Sat 23-Nov-13 20:02:19

Been busy. Came back today to have a look but the Pub thread was full! shock Shall we continue here?

Third episode of Borgen on tonight. smile

Evening. wine

I'm drinking some nice prosecco and watching the Doctor smile

TheDoctrineOfWho Sat 23-Nov-13 21:07:11

Ooh, well done, I was just coming on to start a third thread as I think LRD is still AWOL!

I am NOT watching DOTD (harumph) as I didn't want it interrupted by bedtime and guilt, so I am catching up on work and will watch it later. So hoping to avoid spoilers - better get off the internet for now!

grin
tardis

My lips are sealed Doctrine tardis

TheDoctrineOfWho Sun 24-Nov-13 00:31:12

Watched it all alone snuggled under blankets.

That.
Was.
Brilliant.

smile
tardis

UptoapointLordCopper Sun 24-Nov-13 10:43:52

I don't watch Doctor Who. I watched one episode once and had nightmares. blush

I watched Borgen. smile

TheDoctrineOfWho Sun 24-Nov-13 10:54:21

Which Doctor was it, LordCopper?

UptoapointLordCopper Sun 24-Nov-13 11:05:41

Doctrine - David Tenant. He exudes energy, doesn't he? I watched the one with Katherine Jenkins, and sharks swimming in the air. Bit like Sharknado. hmm grin

TheDoctrineOfWho Sun 24-Nov-13 15:51:50

Oh, that one was quite pants.

UptoapointLordCopper Sun 24-Nov-13 16:08:59

So I have been told. But I enjoyed it. And it gave me nightmares.

TheDoctrineOfWho Sun 24-Nov-13 18:00:53

So, is Doctor Who a feminist show?

Pros - companions are usually female and strong characters with lots of screen time
Cons- the doctor has never been a woman, despite it being clear in "The Doctor's Wife" that some time lords did change sex when regenerating.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I've never found myself sucking in my lips in at anything sexist while watching the modern ones. Strong female assistants - who frequently save the day and aren't scantly clad...definitely an equal to the Doctor.

I do wonder that Russell T Davies didn't introduce a female doctor with a fit male assistant though - that would be right up his street - maybe too progressive for the beeb. grin

TheDoctrineOfWho Sun 24-Nov-13 19:03:39

There was a big thread on here a while ago about whether doctor who could be a woman - which is why I went, "Hah!" In my head when I re watched the Doctor's Wife.

I agree Sabrina, certainly wrt the reboot. I think most episodes fail the Bechdel test but they probably also don't have two men discussing something that isn't a man often - part of the dynamic.

TheDoctrineOfWho Sun 24-Nov-13 19:09:17

I think after starting with CE and then setting up the dynamic between CE and Rose, Russ had to have another guy, really.

UptoapointLordCopper Sun 24-Nov-13 21:10:45

OK so I watched DOTD because I channel-hopped to it this evening by accident. I must say, it is very exciting, and not nightmarish. smile

I think there should be a female Doctor. The assistant is good and strong and everything but she's not the one in the title though, is she? Happens all the time. Eg, in the Harry Potter books, they would all have been annihilated without Hermione, but she's still not the lead character, is she? You can have strong clever women, as long as they are only sidekicks. sad

AntiJamDidi Sun 24-Nov-13 22:33:26

Oh, I'm glad there's a third pub. I was quite distressed when the second one filled up but not quite distressed enough to start a third one myself.

I love Doctor Who, but I do think there should be a female doctor, I love the assistants but you're right LordCopper they aren't the lead. It does annoy me that ALL of the Doctors have been white middle-class men.

SplitHeadGirl Sun 24-Nov-13 23:01:02

Can I come in even though I am not a Doctor Who fan?? I'm more of a Star Trek kinda gal!

TheDoctrineOfWho Sun 24-Nov-13 23:27:00

Yes, we are an open minded pub grin

though JaaJaa Binks will be given the Vulcan death grip AND exterminated if he enters the pub

TheDoctrineOfWho Sun 24-Nov-13 23:27:47

It would have been COOL if the War Doctor had been a woman.

SplitHeadGirl Mon 25-Nov-13 00:00:48

Haha Doctrine...Binks is in Star Wars, not Star Trek!!!

But I love Star Wars too especially Han Solo

TheDoctrineOfWho Mon 25-Nov-13 00:07:11

I know. Thought I'd chuck in another scifi reference for fun!

SplitHeadGirl Mon 25-Nov-13 00:15:45

It is funny because ordinarily i hate scifi...But I LOVE Star Trek and Star Wars....Doctor Who I can't be bothered with!!!

Just sticking my head in not to rant for a change. I love Dr Who! Good female characters. But still far from being a feminist show as it's all about women playing second fiddle to the central male. And they need frequent saving and rescuing too.

MummyBeerest Mon 25-Nov-13 00:22:38

Hi all...been away from the pub for awhile. I seem to always be a beat behind in the convo.

But I really need a drink and to ask some perspective from feminists such as yourselves.

Can I have a Corona and a listening ear?

Listening ear is always here, mummybeerest. Whassup?

This thread is not accepting new messages.