2013/2014 Winter - Should we be getting ready for 'snowmageddon'?

(550 Posts)
johnworf Wed 04-Sep-13 20:28:38

According to this article, based on past winters and other factors, this winter could be a very chilly one.

I don't understand half of the things used to predict why this may be but I'm wondering if I should start making sure we're ready for it, should it come?

Perihelion Wed 16-Oct-13 10:20:29

No wind atm, was 4C overnight and waiting for the rain.

digerd Wed 16-Oct-13 10:57:17

It had been a clear night and I thought I saw the sunrise this morning, but soon clouded over. Raining now and 9.6 degrees. Might have rained before but didn't notice. Still have yet to take the dog out. We don't do pouring rainsmile

Perihelion Wed 16-Oct-13 23:07:10

Pishing down in Edinburgh all evening.

digerd Thu 17-Oct-13 07:04:36

10 degrees minimum last night - that's better- 1 degree higher in sitting room @18. Still took 90 minutes for the heating to get it up to 21confused, 30 minutes less than yesterday, thoughsmile.
Not raining atmhmm

SpookyTeacakes Thu 17-Oct-13 07:28:16

Er why is it raining?

I think it was just a little trough. Practically gone now.

SpookyTeacakes Thu 17-Oct-13 08:27:07

Yep suns out smile

digerd Fri 18-Oct-13 06:13:42

What a lovely day yesterday wassmile. That was a nice surprise.
7 degrees in the night so must have been a clear sky. 11 now so must be clouded over - more rain today?

We had stupid rain part through. Why did it come? It wasnt supposed to.
Still it was pleasantly warm.

magimedi Fri 18-Oct-13 09:44:35

Yesterday was amazing here (East Sussex). Got up to 19C in the afternoon & I sat on the beach!!

Misty first thing this morning, but clearing slowly & it's still warm.

GloriaSmud Fri 18-Oct-13 09:54:30

Lovely day here yesterday (Leicester), got up to 17.8C. Today it's totally different ~ foggy and a chilly 11.8C. Don't think the fog's going to clear in some places today either so we're stuck with the gloom.

digerd Sat 19-Oct-13 06:15:38

It was misty in the morning until about 10.30am, then sunny, then later clouded over again. Very mild and no rain
Had to wait for a 2nd electrician to sort out all the sockets in my sitting room that suddenly wouldn't work last Saturday.
Trouble is nobody knows what caused the problemconfused

digerd Sat 19-Oct-13 06:27:39

12.8 minimum last night and 12.9 atm, so must have been cloudy in the night and still is? Too dark still outside to see.

SpookyTeacakes Sun 20-Oct-13 07:49:49

Thunder and lightning here but think it's a while away...maybe in Chichester/Bognor if anyone is that way?

SPBisResisting Sun 20-Oct-13 07:53:02

We had thunder andlightning last night in the NE> I could barely sleep last night, it was so warm!

RedToothBrush Sun 20-Oct-13 08:33:24

In my neck of the woods, the first frost of the winter is usually around the end of October / start of November.

I've just looked at the forecast for the week and the high is 16C and the low is 10C.

The average high for Oct is 14C and average low 8C (and you would expect it to be generally getting colder towards the end of the month).

So far this month every single day has been average average compared with previous years.

Which tends to make me more inclined to say - and I'm going on nothing more than my perception of the weather here for the last twenty years - that with the summer we've had that we are likely to have a wetter winter than normal. But I'd be more inclined to say that means rain rather than snow. So thats where I'm throwing my hat.

I think predictions of snowmaggedon tend to be noticed more than the hundreds of more 'dull' predictions. Not to mention that these scientific long term term forecasts seem to have a habit of being as reliable as a chocolate teapot (if they were better someone would be making a lot more money of it than they currently are). So I think my technique is probably as good as the long range.

We shall see.

There was a storm warning thread here concentrated on the risk of tornadoes, hail etc. smile

The CET is still approx 2.5C above the October average. With some warm days expected this week it's going to need a pretty cold end to the month to take it down to the October average.

johnworf Sun 20-Oct-13 11:56:51

I just read there was reports of a tornado just off Hayling Island. I'm looking at the risk of thunderstorms here today.

thread here

smile hoping to get some hayling islanders on it.

SpookyTeacakes Sun 20-Oct-13 13:00:08

Stupid storm has blown my router sad

Bummer! Was it a nearby lightning hit?

SpookyTeacakes Sun 20-Oct-13 13:31:38

I have no idea. The storm wasn't even that near but after spending half an hour on the phone to sky and taking the phone socket apart hmm they decided it was the router. As it's not very old and only went off during the storm I think it's too much of a coincidence to be anything else (they reckoned it was the router anyway hmm) I'm angry

I wonder if a local telecoms box got hit and nobody else has complained yet?

SpookyTeacakes Sun 20-Oct-13 13:41:16

Well they did a thorough check on the line and nothing came up. Was quite a few hours ago now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now