Budding perfumistas walk this way- Part 2 of the Worst Perfumes ever

(989 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Tue 13-Nov-12 13:23:54

As the first thread is nearly full, I've set up Part 2

DonaAna Thu 06-Dec-12 13:34:09

Butterflies try to limit yourself to samples and decants first (and ask to receive the pricier things a presents). I don't think perfumes are a super-expensive interest - wines, clothes or accessories are much more expensive, at least for me. Well done - oud is really a headturner!

I quite like the Decennial by Andy Tauer, Lys du Desert. It smells like a proto-perfume from the past - can't name a definite one but it contains lots of echoes of vintage things, including Carons and Grossmiths. Have even contemplated a full bottle, but the nuisance of having to have it shipped via my mother's is really putting me off.

If the perfumes you ordered are not in your comfort zone, don't worry - the light green genre has also a lot of small masterpieces. But if you can carry an oud perfume well, you will probably also be comfortable with quite a few tobacco, leather and wood perfumes.

All this talk about Tauers makes me hanker after Miriam. Need to wait until the evening, perhaps tomorrow, until M wears off...

Evie13 Thu 06-Dec-12 15:12:26

Lurking for ages but my first post on this thread. Everyone has really inspired me to experiment so thank you!

I think I like floral and chypres. (My classic is Chanel 19 but I have also worn L' Eau D' Issey and recently Gucci Flora and Estee Lauder Sensuous Nude).

I fancy something very eveningy, sophisticated and sexy (but not tarty and not Ice Queen). It seems "sexy" leads towards the woody/ masculine and I definitely want something feminine.

I have just ordered some samples from Les Senteurs. A la Nuit (not yet tried), Carnal flower (too old/ not really what I'm after)), Jasmin et Cigarettes (not yet tried) and Feminite Du Bois (not convinced its me).

So any suggestions would be gratefully received!

DonaAna Fri 07-Dec-12 08:19:01

Evie you have definitely a fresh and green thing going on.
A perfumista friend who loves Ch 19 and Sensuous Nude is currently wearing the following (she likes green and bitters and iris but also deeper leather and incense notes):
Slumberhouse Norne
Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
Aedes de Venustas ETP
Tauer Perfumes Incense Rosé
Tableau de Parfums Loretta

She also likes Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil and Hiris, Honore des Pres Love les Carottes, Chanel Egoiste and Sycomore, Martin Margiela Untitled, YSL Nu and M7, Balenciaga Paris, Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford, Bottega Veneta EdP and Dzongkha by L'Artisan.

BOFingSanta Fri 07-Dec-12 08:21:27

DonaAna! Good morning- you were in my dream last night, very briefly! I'd found a vintage bottle of perfume I used to love and bumped into you- you had a spray of it and pronounced that it smelled of sweat grin

DonaAna Fri 07-Dec-12 08:23:51

Coffee I'm wearing Le Labo Iris as I type. Ooh, this is the type of iris that I go ga-ga for - the cool, papery, crisp facet of iris that captures the smell of linen in luxury hotels. (My favorite of that genre is 28 La Pausa by Chanel).

Interesting to see how this develops!

I have an iris feast coming up as I also have some Iris Silver Mist from SL for later. Iris is my summer go-to - I go for the icy silvery irises, am not as fascinated by the warmer ones.

coffeeinbed Fri 07-Dec-12 13:31:22

I'm wearing Hiris.
feels fittingly cold.

DonaAna Fri 07-Dec-12 16:20:49

Le Labo Iris was really great - thanks Coffee for reminding. It's the perfect 9-5 scent. Slightly intimidating (perfect for work), stays close to skin, and fades away prettily by the end of the work day so I get to wear something else. But what? Hmmmm....

On the school run someone was wearing a perfume that combined an olympic strength synthetic sandalwood with the stinky musk I hate - double whammy. <boak> Heads up for picking a unique, distinctive perfume though - just very unlucky that it combined the two perfumery ingredients I really dislike. Oh and the 'fume had a half a block long sillage <shudder>

DonaAna Fri 07-Dec-12 16:40:31

BOF great dream - I'm taking it as a compliment wink Making a good sweaty smell is not that easy (although I heard perfumer JC Ellena amused his children by bringing home concoctions of sweat, dirty socks, bad breath etc...).
I tend to love slightly dirty notes urine cumin and civet in perfumery - many people smell them as dirty, I quite like them.

The most bathroom-like perfume I've worn is Jasmin Noir by Bulgari. On me, it smells like someone just had a hearty dump. (Wore it on a flight once - duty frees are great for perfume sampling but sometimes the consequences are humiliating.) Jasmine contain a lot of indole, a molecules that also perfumes this. Quite daring for mainstream wink

If I can find my sample of A la nuit, I'll wear it tonight. Cheers to indolic jasmine!

YouOldTinsellySlag Sat 08-Dec-12 19:37:48

I tried Eau de Cartier yesterday and OMG I am in love.

Isn't it great when you find a perfume that gives you that thunderbolt feeling? It reminds me of my past, my present, my grandmother's house, clean laundry, and at the same time it makes me feel fresh and new.

Dear Santa.....

coffeeinbed Sat 08-Dec-12 20:37:02

I had a bit of a trying out thing today and I'm not so sure about L'Ambre des Merveilles..I adore the rest of the series - except Elixier, but this as a bit ordinary and dries down to some vanilla. So no, boring.
Had another try of Le Labo Iris - lovely, really is and Tuscan leather. Love the bright herbal note at the top, and the leather. Might be one for Christmas..

FellatioNelson Sun 09-Dec-12 03:42:51

Bad breath perfume? shock

How delightful!

YouOldTinsellySlag Sun 09-Dec-12 11:16:01

Yes Jasmine often reminds me of toilets and now I know why. It wasn't the air freshener it reminded me of after all.

LDNmummy Sun 09-Dec-12 11:23:52

Can't believe this is still going.

I listed Thierry Mugler's Alien on the old thread but DH bought me a bottle last winter. I had kept it hidden at the back of the cupboard until the other day. I finally brought it out to face it and surprisingly I didn't think it was that bad.

I was going to start a thread asking if IABU, but I actually kind of like it.

shoeprincess2 Sun 09-Dec-12 11:32:17

I quite like Alien too. There are far worse out there.

I was out with some friends for lunch on Friday and we ended up perusing the perfume hall in Debenhams. As Dona mentioned ages ago, there are so many fruity florals out there (as they sell the best)- there's only the "proper" perfume houses that seem to make anything remotely different. I stalked round the Guerlain counter and squirted L'Heure Bleue (love it) and Habit Rouge (love it too). I was also coveting the Guerlain meteorites compact... I was pretty despondent with what was out there, so I'm so happy to have almost a drawer full of fabulous new scents. 1ml here and 1ml there- it all adds up!

Anyway, to keep this thread going, I think we should post what fragrances we are going to wear on Christmas Day. For me, it is going to be L'Air du Desert Marocain. You? smile

DonaAna Sun 09-Dec-12 11:35:58

LDNMummy Sometimes perfumes surprise us - this is why giving something that you originally disliked a second chance later is often a good idea.

Slag, Eau de Cartier is great stuff. I really like it (may have forgotten to mention it, but it is really great).

I have been having a rare perfume free day. I've worn heavy and intense Carons (and gotten tired the overdose of cloves in them) and need a break. Except that I just saw my decant of Seville l'aube. This is a holiday weekend in Italy, yesterday was the feast of immaculate conception and we walked through ice-cold Vatican on our way to see The Nutcracker. So the cool and deep incense-beeswax-orange blossom is a perfect scent track for the mood of the day.

YouOldTinsellySlag Sun 09-Dec-12 12:57:12

I quite like Alien too, but it's heavy going, one squirt lasts and lasts. it reminds of incense and wood.

DonaAna Mon 10-Dec-12 13:18:58

Shoe L'air will be a stunning Christmas perfume (have you seen the blue glass bottle - it's lovely, I got one for DH so that I get to smell L'Air constantly). I'll be boring and wear Nuit de Noel.

L'heure bleue is 100 years old - can you believe it? To me, it does not smell dated (like many perfumes made in the 1970s do).

I've been wearing the often overlooked Cologne du 68 by Guerlain today.
If anyone needs a light, cologne-strength vanilla that is sophisticated and office appropriate and not mall-rat/Body Shop cloying, it's definitely worth trying.

It's wearing off --- I will soon get to pick an afternoon / evening perfume.

shoeprincess2 Mon 10-Dec-12 13:36:51

Yes, stunning bottle. I am wearing L'air today and getting a bit antsy that I only have about 8 squirts left. I may have to see if there is a decant on Crystal Flacon. Or maybe even buy a bottle. Well, why not smile.

DolomitesDonkey Mon 10-Dec-12 13:39:50

I'm wearing Piguet's Baghari today and loved it the minute I put it on, but 6 hours later I can barely smell it at all.

coffeeinbed Mon 10-Dec-12 14:04:08

Shalimar light today, some of last drops in the bottle.

DonaAna Mon 10-Dec-12 14:29:03

Great choices! (And go for the bottle Shoe - the packaging may change next year, I heard.)

I'm continuing in light gourmand mood and wearing Tonkamande. It does not hurt that the perfumer looks like this wink.

shoeprincess2 Mon 10-Dec-12 15:04:44

I was not prepared for that Dona. Goodness me, I think I need to cool down

DonaAna Tue 11-Dec-12 11:04:08

Today, I'm wearing Farnesiana by Caron.

This is a sweet almond scent that is interlaced with a green note that keeps it from becoming too heavy and marzipan-like. Definitely a cold-weather scent, but perhaps one of my best winter perfumes. I keep sniffing my wrist, addictive stuff.

ThatsNice Wed 12-Dec-12 08:26:54

I'm wearing Noa this morning but have an awful feeling its gone off. I have a cold and can't smell properly but it had a nostril singeing smell first spray confused

CointreauVersial Wed 12-Dec-12 13:25:20

That's probably your cold, ThatsNice..... Though I guess it does go off after a while.

L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two today - another warm, cozy hug of a perfume.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now