"MI5 should recruit from Mumsnet..."

(279 Posts)
KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 05-Mar-15 10:48:48

Hello all

There's a rather fabulous story in the news today, which suggests that the security services could benefit from MNers' skills. What do you think - time for us to make a [false beard] emoticon?

PureMorning Thu 05-Mar-15 10:51:14

Perhaps they already do.....

<disappears unseen into the crowd>

BreconBeBuggered Thu 05-Mar-15 10:52:54

If they need someone whose special skill is getting melted chocolate down her dog-haired jumper and not noticing, I'm their woman.

<awaits call>

CaTsMaMmA Thu 05-Mar-15 10:54:44

I've always said that a crack team of Mothers could knock most governments into a cocked hat

or a set of stern but nimble Grandmothers for policing major events to keep any wannabe rowdy demonstrators under control with a hard stare and a mega phone you...what DO you think you are doing?? Yes you...with that brick...PutThatDOWN!

LocalEditorEssex Thu 05-Mar-15 10:56:44

I would be an excellent spy ask my children

gaggiagirl Thu 05-Mar-15 10:58:18

Dammit I'm not middle aged! Its probably best that I dont apply, I cant keep my own piss in, never mind international secrets.

fattymcfatfat Thu 05-Mar-15 10:58:22

<sneaks in unseen and unheard>

nothing to see here

<melts back into the shadows>

AndHarry Thu 05-Mar-15 10:58:34

Excellent. Will the spies get their own board?

JoanHickson Thu 05-Mar-15 11:00:07

I am disappointed my cousin hasn't recommend me to his boss.

<looks through diary for a free date to visit Uncle>

CMOTDibbler Thu 05-Mar-15 11:11:29

Fabulous! I heartily agree with the report though - the worlds come a long way from the cold war, but the same profile of people are recruited.

I like the idea of the GCHQ summer school that came out this week. I wanted to send ds as he could break any suspect with his incessant questions, but apparently 8 is too young...

sliceofsoup Thu 05-Mar-15 11:12:20

shock

I would LOVE to be a spy. Like actually LOVE it. And no one would suspect me. I am too boring and frumpy.

LucettaTempleman Thu 05-Mar-15 11:12:29

I always wanted to be a spy but I'm a bit of a mad arse so wouldn't like the inevitable aspects of danger.

HermioneWeasley Thu 05-Mar-15 11:12:42

In RL my name is Ros Meyers <icy stare>

LucettaTempleman Thu 05-Mar-15 11:13:23

mard. Not mad. grin

Justforblogprofileadmin Thu 05-Mar-15 11:15:21

It's a good plan. We won't need special exploding pens, but could tech sort the following please:

Document dead-drop zones in Off the Beaten Track

A topic for anxious double agents called Am I being Treasonable;

A special place for spies to let off steam: "AIBU: to think that standing in a room next to where someone is being tortured and taking notes is NOT being a torturer"; "... that shaken not stirred is a perfectly reasonable cappuccino preference", etc.

ArcheryAnnie Thu 05-Mar-15 11:17:54

I'm in! I would be an excellent spy, on the Guy Burgess principle that nobody would believe that any intelligence agency with an ounce of actual intelligence would recruit me.

JoanHickson Thu 05-Mar-15 11:18:21

I would never be suspected either.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 05-Mar-15 11:19:11

TSSDNCOP

grin

ShatnersBassoon Thu 05-Mar-15 11:19:15

I was just saying a couple of days ago I'd make a great spy. I go totally unnoticed everywhere I go, but I have a keen eye for detail.

Nobody suspects a woman in mum boots of anything underhand.

ArcheryAnnie Thu 05-Mar-15 11:19:53

A topic for anxious double agents called Am I being Treasonable;

This is so unutterably perfect, Justforblog. I want it embroidered on a sampler, printed on a t-shirt, carved in stone.

iseenodust Thu 05-Mar-15 11:20:26

I have experience in sitting in cafes and love people watching.

WereJamming Thu 05-Mar-15 11:21:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparklingbrook Thu 05-Mar-15 11:23:00

Get them to call me. I'm ready and waiting.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 05-Mar-15 11:23:00

Yes, people who can't help but type their every passing thought into an online forum would make great spies.

Hiding in plain sight.

bobs123 Thu 05-Mar-15 11:23:37

Ah but how do we know that they don't already <taps nose> a couple of former Director Generals have been women after all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now