what the actual is that facebook like button doing there?

(1000 Posts)
CarolCervix Thu 15-Dec-11 16:42:11

has it always been there? or has it moved? and does that mean if someone 'likes' that thread it will be posted to their fb page?

HaHa great timing x post grin

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 16-Dec-11 20:25:01

<wafts in on a cloud of something lovely-smelling>

usualsuspect Fri 16-Dec-11 20:25:19

The only threads I have seen liked are the ones about the like button grin

Lafawnduh Fri 16-Dec-11 20:26:30

evenin olivia.

do you have bigger balls than helen? will you nuke the like button? please?

IAmFuckingPissedOff Fri 16-Dec-11 20:32:59

Hi Olivia,

Can I reitterate the request for Teenagers to be excluded from this - since many of the people who post there are realy at the end of their tethers sad, many of us share pc's with our teenagers, and our teenagers are much more savvy about computers than we are (in a lot of cases).

Otherwise the board will be very quiet (and unsupportive).

Trills Fri 16-Dec-11 20:35:16

Which MNHQer has the biggest balls?

Is that going to be in the Christmas Quiz?

StupidLikeButton Fri 16-Dec-11 20:49:39

Oh it's all gotten very back slappy and nice here hasn't it?

Ok...so the soul of Mumsnet is dying...crushed under the weight of that massive LIKE button. Can it be removed? Who haas the power please OliviaMN?

IdoNOTlike Fri 16-Dec-11 20:58:46

Yes I did read your reply Helen (I was typing my post while your were posting you were posting yours) but Im not convinced buy your reply. If you cared about 'us' you wouldnt have done this in the first place.
People that care what others think ask their opinions before they do things...........
Well thats how it happens in my household

I cannot see the point of it.
It looks naff and as I said earlier its just yeurch to me as tickers are - so bring on the tickers....................
Why have something just because a weeny minority want it, even though the majority are indifferent to it or dislike it intensely?
Given that the majority dislike it (or are indifferent) why not just nuke it altogether.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 16-Dec-11 21:05:45

StupidLikeButton

Who haas the power please OliviaMN?

Snap, obviously grin
In all seriousness, though, folks, can I emphasise that it is THE WEEKEND so we aren't entirely quorate and Techy Folk have to sleep sometime....so we are reading and taking into account all suggestions but we can't promise anything immediate.
(also a minion like HelenMN)

Lafawnduh Fri 16-Dec-11 21:08:46

it is not the bloody weekend. it is friday. that is a week day. and this happened yesterday evening - a thursday. giving you 24 hours to sort the bloody thing out.

weekend? confused i thought weekend was saturay. or sunday.

TheOriginalFAB Fri 16-Dec-11 21:10:28

So why do something so huge just before the weekend? You must have known there would be a big reaction. I know you said not but come on.

SadlyNo Fri 16-Dec-11 21:10:41

Trills, see my post 9.43am. (As regards possible future problems with cookie-sharing, not as regards biggest balls, possession of.)

So Im awf, I suppose. It has been delightful but brief. I really do think the internet is Doing It Wrong in terms of social networking/data sharing, and no-one really questions why it's so shit because it's dominated by a few giants (similar to Microsoft in computing in the 80s). I suspect as more people catch on and get less cavalier about it (and as a sprinkling of spectacular accidents/mistakes occur), more sites will realise they have made costly mistakes in the few years around now.

But then there'll be newer, better sites and more considerate ways of social network building and it'll all be ok smile. Cheerio and a merry xmas to one and all.

Lafawnduh Fri 16-Dec-11 21:11:00

or is it also now that weird black-hole-esque period of time known as 'christmas' so abso-bloody-lutely nothing can happen until the second week of january?

Real Life does not stop because it is Friday evening, saturday or sunday. Nor between December 17th and January 7th.

Some of us even have to actually Go To Work at weekends (and bloody christmas and new year).

cheesesarnie Fri 16-Dec-11 21:11:20

just spotted it.
actually detest it!

Civilon Fri 16-Dec-11 21:20:53

Could I just say:

"It's one of the reasons why many of us don't have a profile on here, namechange often and lie about a few significant details.
For example, I'm not a teacher, I adore dogs and I don't live in the area I claim to. I have three children, one of whom I never mention because she is the spawn of Beelzebub and boils kittens for lunch.
Or not.
It may stop the pastime of spotting the discrepancies between threads though. If almost everything is fantasy and lies, then MN could become an RPG in its next incarnation."

Great post, Dustinthewind. Since this is a v popular thread, I hope people note that posters with inconsistent stories may be doing it deliberately for a good reason, not because they are trolls.

Valpollicella Fri 16-Dec-11 21:24:37

I wonder what the figures are for the number of threads linked through view port, prior to the disliked Like button?

Do people really do this a lot?

As in feel the need to post stuff from MN onto FB?

QuintessentiallyFestive Fri 16-Dec-11 21:25:26

So to recap. What happens to threads that are liked on Facebook, like poo troll threads, etc, which then are deleted?

Trills Fri 16-Dec-11 21:29:01

A link points at the place where a webpage is.

If a thread gets deleted, then the webpage no longer exists. So the link will point to nowhere.

Akiram Fri 16-Dec-11 21:30:21

Quint surely it just wouldn't exist? The link only provides the title of the thread and the MN logo. A bit like when someone here links to a thread that has been deleted doesn't it just say "url not found"
I could well be wrong. Don't know where I sit on this on this issue. Thought Showy made some very good points but then really if anyone wanted to link any thread and try and get people to pile in on a debate the choice was always there, I guess its just more inviting for want of a better word now.

CalmDownDearItsOnlyALikeButton Fri 16-Dec-11 21:32:31

Presumably you'll click on to it as normal and just the usual THREAD HAS BEEN DELTED message as the link address won't change

CalmDownDearItsOnlyALikeButton Fri 16-Dec-11 21:33:03

like this

QuintessentiallyFestive Fri 16-Dec-11 21:34:43

But that is not going to look very good at all! Imagine massive amounts of new potential members clicking through to see trolling and non-existing threads?

CalmDownDearItsOnlyALikeButton Fri 16-Dec-11 21:36:47

only if the only threads people like are poo troll threads quint

We're all obviously much too high brow for that round here

And no one has so far (I don't think) answered the question yet about WHICH FB page would be linked to if more than one is open - some MNers have their own private FB page, and some have one with an MN alias - which one would be linked to? Can you be logged on to more than one FB page at the same time?
Ditto for the DH/DC FB pages?

usualsuspect Fri 16-Dec-11 21:38:52

How many threads have been liked?

This thread is not accepting new messages.