The Trinity-Whitgift thread of 2013

(1000 Posts)
hardboiled Mon 14-Jan-13 11:37:55

I thought I would start this tradition once again while we all wait? DS only sat Trinity...

Goldfish678mum Thu 31-Jan-13 00:55:24

Hi there. Interview at T all done and dusted! I know what you mean eyeswideclosed - DS basically did a maths test and briefly talked about his trophy that he brought in! Not what I expected at all! From talking with the other parents there afterwards, seems we all went through the same experience! I did notice that the children waiting for interview today were all at the sports assessment so maybe this has something to do with it!?! Who knows! So glad it's over. Nothing I can do now. Good luck everyone x

I wonder if the VR is more of a benchmark to be used alongside the maths English?

W seemed so glamorous, and the place we had to be at

I agree with this completely I actually chose T over W as it seemed far friendlier and more the right sort of school for us. Different people suit different schools though.

burntoutdad Thu 31-Jan-13 08:10:48

EyesWideClosed - we have all been analyising every moment here. Im sure it means nothing and just the difference in school/interviewer style.
Your DS did well to get to interviews at both, well done to him!
Hott - at the interview I think they had separated the comp and essay scores. Were told DS did very well in one and not so on the other. Don't know if that balances out to an ok overall in English? or that they look at the different skills required for each section.
25% sounds rather nice - worth giving up sat morning training for wink

wrt the scholarships, as I understand it they have X full fees to give away. This gets split between the number of boys they want to offer them to so one boy getting 50% could have been 5 boys getting 10%. There is clearly some leeway as scholarship places are turned down, freeing up funds. Which means if your least favoured school were to offer the biggest scholarship, you can use this to negotiate with the favoured school.

burntoutdad Thu 31-Jan-13 09:00:38

soup - sent pm

Trashpack Thu 31-Jan-13 09:41:41

Morning all...anyone have an interview or call back today? I think they might be all coming to an end.

Still waiting to hear from W....as I think a couple of others of you are on this thread...Bedgers and mum4school.

I was wondering....do you think W or T staff/admin read this thread and see how we all over-analyse every detail of the exam day, the interviews etc.

kimalima Thu 31-Jan-13 09:50:31

I know of one teacher at T that definitely does and has read the thread blush.

Trashpack Thu 31-Jan-13 09:55:45

Ooh!! Well, everyone has been extremely complimentary about both schools-but especially T, so I'm sure the teacher will be very pleased!

Ladymuck Thu 31-Jan-13 10:00:16

I know of parents who have been given an indication that a good performance on VR will balance out a poorer one on English or Maths.

In terms of the comments re expectation on scholars to turn out for matches etc on Saturdays, you have looked at the Whitgift term diary haven't you?! There are fixtures most weekends for most boys, not just the A & B team. Taking this coming Saturday as a random day, there is hockey training during the day for 78 boys in U12s (so Upper First/Year 7), 2 rugby matches for the same year group (another 30+ boys), football practice for the U12 Bs as well as the Surrey School swimming championship. Now admittedly there are over 180 boys in the yeargroup, but if you have a sporty boy, sports scholarship or not, Saturdays are unlikely to be the same again.

I guess that threads such as these have helped inform/remind parents that the offer letter from the school is part of the process, not necessarily the end of it. The majority of scholars that I know have end up with their scholarship offers either being made entirely, or at least increased, after the initial letter in February. Which doesn't mean that it happens for everyone, far from it, but the fat lady will definitely not be sitting down until mid March. Potentially that is why these two schools tend to get such long threads. Most other schools are a straightforward competition - do you get in or not, and any scholarship is mainly honorary (so whilst very nice to have, means that parents aren't quite so focussed on their financial value).

Kylep Thu 31-Jan-13 10:37:53

Good Morning teacher from T :-) and to all those hard working admin staff ( ok enough grovelling for now )

nothingyummymum Thu 31-Jan-13 11:15:11

Thanks everyone for the answers on verbal reasoning!

W seemed so glamorous, and the place we had to be at

Very true. It's so easy to get caught up in the hype. I have to confess that I have had fantasies of DS magically morphing into an organised and dedicated, studious academic who discovers his deeply buried ball sense the moment he walks into those hallowed W halls.. who will instantly overcome his awkwardness and make lots of friends, impress his teachers with his maturity and never act silly, who will insist on doing three hours of homework every night while I beg him (in vain, of course) to take a few minutes off - who will read Nietsche and Solzhenitsyn and discuss Kant at the dinner table and only watch documentaries and University Quiz (as he will be a contestant soon).

Then the reality of his scrawny little body in his mud-spattered uniform, invariably heading off in the wrong direction, comes to mind. And I see years of boring F team fixtures, despairing coaches, frustrated teachers and detention looming. Does reality put me off? Hell, no! I would still rather have DS confused and in trouble at W than anywhere else (and if anyone has any secret magic potion, please pm me..)

burntoutdad Thu 31-Jan-13 11:24:11

Ladymuck - thanks for response re VR. In terms of busy Saturdays (and sundays indeed) we have very sporty boys so our weekends and weekdays are already very hectic and are unlikely to improve anytime soon. If (yes please!!) DS does get an offer we would of course be very commited to the school teams (again assuming he is in one), i was just musing on the point that the scholarship puts greater pressure and responsibility on them. and of course any offer is better than none.

Shaded Thu 31-Jan-13 11:27:57

nothingyummymum thanks for making me laugh. It is true our dreams and reality don't necessarily match but won't stop us wanting better for our dcs.

I have been following this thread even though we did not apply for either Trinity/Whitgift. All I can say is what fantasctic schools they must be to have this group of engaged and witty parents.

Still waiting on CLSB results to be posted today - why in the days of instant communication do we have to wait for letters beats me. It has been the longest three weeks of my life so far; but whatever tomorrow brings following this thread has helped in retaining my sanity.

burntoutdad Thu 31-Jan-13 11:29:19

Kylep - And im sure also all of those wonderful, wonderful teachers and staff at W are doing their utmost best and only have the children's best interest at heart. I couldn't say a bad word against them they are all so so incredibly amazing wink wink

burntoutdad Thu 31-Jan-13 11:39:07

nothingyummymum - LOL! i would expect nothing less, although if i was paying full fees each year I would expect DS to be hosting the quiz!

FatalFlowerGarden Thu 31-Jan-13 12:22:28

Shaded, best of luck and really hope you get the result you want.

The 15th seems so far away! Am still addicted to this thread even though I know it's all in the lap of the gods now...

yummymum - your description of your mud-splattered ds made me laugh; sounds just like mine!

burntoutdad Thu 31-Jan-13 12:41:34

Fatal - yes but its good to 'talk' with people in exactly the same situation to ease the pain.

Trashpack Thu 31-Jan-13 13:09:27

yummymum - that's one of the funniest things I've read on this thread!

I feel exactly the same...I watch one of my neighbours ds walking down the road every morning, to catch the school bus to W. The child can barely walk due to the weight of 2 huge bags, criss-crossed over his tiny shoulders.

But as well as loving W and it's incredible surroundings, I have become addicted to people's reactions to me when they ask me what school ds is going to go to in September - he's in year 6.

So, when I tell them that we are waiting for March 1st for state school offers - their eyes glaze over...but when I say ds also sat W exam and we are (still) waiting to hear from them, they become animated, oohing & aahing, nodding their heads saying "great school, great school" etc, now has me in love with the idea of saying he might be going there, rather than him actually going there...do you know what I mean???!

Trashpack Thu 31-Jan-13 13:12:49

And thinking of you shaded, hoping you hear good news very soon.

nothingyummymum Thu 31-Jan-13 13:34:51

Have clearly lost the plot - apologies for typos and spelling mistakes.

Fatal - I don't think your DS can be as bad - seriously, how do they do it? Puddles ambush him and yoghurt is a permanent feature on his jumper even if it's not in his lunchbox..

Shaded - am glad to hear you have retained your sanity! Good luck with CLSB results - please keep us posted.

burntoutdad - not sure ANYTHING can ease the pain at this stage.
If my exam-induced madness does not subside, I will be out of work before the 15th and/or en route to Betty Ford.

Somelikeithott Thu 31-Jan-13 13:53:19

Lol everyone. Been very busy this morning, so not been able to catch up until now! The thread has given me a great chuckle as I have lunch and now have the energy to face more hard work this afternoon. ( I think.....).

I've decided as I'm not working on Friday 15th, I might book myself in for a facial/ massage, to take my mind of waiting for the letters. Don't want to be in when the postie arrives, as I might pounce on him. That's if I'm not waiting at the top of the road/ stalking him.....

Inneedofwine Thu 31-Jan-13 13:58:34

lol - do you think we're all getting slightly hysterical at this stage??

I'm still trying to hold it together as I'm am just about to head out the door to Trinity for DS's interview.

Later on this evening I shall be looking up the number for Betty Ford but just thought I'd give mself a couple of hours to quickly down a couple of bottles of vino before I do wink

nothingyummymum Thu 31-Jan-13 13:59:43

Trashpack - yes, I know exactly! That is so true - DS is the only in his school who has applied to W and everyone knows because he had to take time off for the exams etc. I now dread having to SAY he didn't get in just as much as him actually not getting an offer..

FatalFlowerGarden Thu 31-Jan-13 14:21:05

<<Trashpack - yes, I know exactly! That is so true - DS is the only in his school who has applied to W and everyone knows because he had to take time off for the exams etc. I now dread having to SAY he didn't get in just as much as him actually not getting an offer.>>

Exactly the same here. No one else in ds's school has taken the exam. But his whole class knows about it and a couple have been a bit silly/ unpleasant. His form teacher isn't v supportive either from what I can gather. But... I keep telling myself it's character building for him blush, poor soul!

burntoutdad Thu 31-Jan-13 14:54:47

trash/fatal - ditto! although I think just one other. The nasty comments I think stem more from jealousy. I don't want to think how it would be if he didn't make it now.

This thread is not accepting new messages.