The Trinity-Whitgift thread of 2013

(1000 Posts)
hardboiled Mon 14-Jan-13 11:37:55

I thought I would start this tradition once again while we all wait? DS only sat Trinity...

hardboiled Sat 26-Jan-13 10:49:04

Gosh I have been away from this because of work and now I see lots of people are still getting good news! Congrats to all! I feel for everyone working in admissions at any school this time of the year...

Fatal, the good thing about 10+ is you have another year in which your DS will grow and mature a lot - cause they really do - and he may be be super ready to try again...So please don't give up!

Trashpack Sat 26-Jan-13 13:16:43

Best of luck Kima! Hope it's going/went well at T!

I've been at work since 7am and not home until later tonight. I rang dh, and postman has not been yet-or just isn't coming today.

Fatal, I'd hang in a little longer. From what I've read on other years threads, not every single ds interviewed is automatically guaranteed a place so perhaps our ds's names are on an "almost ran" list?

Until you or I have an official rejection letter in our hands, it's not over until its over. Hope everyone enjoying the beautiful sunshine-I'm at work until 8pm....boo!

burntoutdad Sat 26-Jan-13 15:01:57

We have just had a recall letter for the sports assessment, they said they were impressed but would like to see him again, not sure if good news or bad news? i.e. is DS being considered but they're not sure, are they looking to choose only 1 or 2 out of those recalled? I wonder if they recall most or only those with serious consideration?
Another oddity is that the recall is after the interview date? What does this mean. If they decide at interview they don't want DS then there would be no point doing the recall and missing another day off of school? confused.

Another oddity is that the recall is after the interview date? What does this mean.

It means there are only so many hours in a day and only so many days before they have to make their decisions smile There will only be certain times that the sports facilities are free to run the trials due to school commitments. They can't possibly fit everything in before interview smile

A recall is good insofar as they haven't ruled him out already. I imagine that there may be three groups: boys so good they don't need to see them again, boys so bad that they don't need to see them again and then a lot of boys they need to see again in order to choose.

With hindsight, I think we try to read far too much into these things! The reality is that they have to fit all these things around normal school activities and only have a limited time frame to do it in.

Croydonmumtods Sat 26-Jan-13 16:04:35

Congratulations burntoutdad what sport have you been recalled for?

Goldfish678mum Sat 26-Jan-13 16:43:40

Burntoutdad -great that your DS got recalled. Sounds like good news to me. He obviously impressed them so u should b very proud! We had a phone call from one of the sports masters at T saying that they where impressed with DS. Hope this is a good sign?!? Didn't give much else away. He has his interview on Wed so fingers crossed.

burntoutdad Sat 26-Jan-13 16:46:24

I think that the snow may have had something to do with it also, as they had to play inside. The letter says that they were 'impressed' with his attitude and 'particularly impressed' with his sport so I guess it is a good thing. Although it could be a standard letter for everyone, it does sound positive. A friend said that perhaps they are considering scholarships for the boys called back and use the recall to determine the level?
I have also heard that they need to determine wether scholarship or not before the interview so that this is in mind when interviewing.

Soup - you're right we do read a lot into everything. Its difficult not to when the process is this unclear confused

burntoutdad Sat 26-Jan-13 17:00:15

Croydonmumtods - sport is football, so it guess it was difficult to assess fully on the indoor pitch on the day. I think they might play with the 11+ cohort too, not sure?
Goldfish - sounds good for them to make an effort to give you a call and tell you!
we will have to wait and see what happens, but I will say again that I think it odd to do the interview before the final sports assessment. Has this happened to anyone else?

morange Sat 26-Jan-13 17:29:05

NotADragonofSoup is right - don't read too much into what happens when in the process. I know some of the sports scholars from W last year - some had interview before the sports assessment day and some after - some had call backs some didn't. They definitely did a cricket call back with a hard ball, not sure about hockey but don't think there was call back for rugby or football but then it didn't snow last year so they had the outdoor sessions properly on the day. No feedback on performance they just got their scholarship offer in the post when the time came.

racegirl87 Sat 26-Jan-13 18:09:57

Hi all,
Returned from T interview and we all survived.
Just myself and DS went.
Got there and desperately tried to clean off the toothpaste stain on his jumper which had magically appeared next to the wet patch from the Ready Brek I'd already scrubbed off before leaving.
As soon as you arrive they separate you. It's a very friendly welcome from the deputy head. Ds went off to library with a sixth former and parent/s go into reception room for tea and coffee and a chat with teachers HM and current T parents.
It's very informal and you could get away with not speaking to anyone if you study the available literature on display hard enough but I ended up talking to a lovely parent and dep head of upper school while waiting.
DS was gone about 50mins and came back to the room we were waiting in. At that point the HM came over and asked DS how he got on and looked at the 'thing' he had brought which sparked conversation.
After a quick squash (and a sugar cube?!!) we left.
DS enjoyed the interview. He had two maths questions: a 2 digit x 1 digit number and a 3 digit x 1 digit number which didn't cause any bother. There were a few random questions that I guess can't be right or wrong but the explanation of their answer must be the key.
He talked about the pictures he'd taken in and asked a few questions about the school.
That's about it.
The car broke down on the way home, literally round the corner so thank goodness it was on the way home and not the other way round!!
I hope that helps someone and I wish you all the best of luck.

Marbleslonggone Sat 26-Jan-13 18:12:39

Burntoutdad - Last year they did cricket and hockey call back as hard to judge with tennis ball in gym with both sports - but they managed rugby and football outside which clearly hasn't happened this year! I was told they'd only done touch rugby and I know there is a rugby assessment on Friday outdoors with a number of boys. Footie will be the same - not easy to judge from an indoor performance Read nothing into it other than they was to see your DS again - so congrats to him! The weather has made his an extremely difficult process. This whole system is incredibly stressful - feel for everyone. Only just recovered 12 months on! Good luck everyone. hope to see you at W in September! [bsmile]

Inneedofwine Sat 26-Jan-13 22:32:56

Thats great Burntoutdad! Sounds v. hopeful. And glad your DS's interview went well racegirl.

Somelikeithott Sat 26-Jan-13 22:55:01

Burntoutdad, DS has got call back for rugby. Wording of letter same as yours. He's had interview already, seems ages ago now...( not sure if I can read anything into that....).

As marbles said, they did tag indoors before and letter said they now want to see them play contact outdoors. HTH

When is your call back date?

burntoutdad Sat 26-Jan-13 23:32:54

Somelikeithott - That's why I asked if it was a standard letter in earlier post. I think the wording is 'over positive' which does make you read into it more than you would if it just said 'unfortunately we couldn't assess on the day and would like to invite you back again'. The coach did say on the day that there may be call backs for Rugby to assess contact though.
I wonder if they call back all DS for their chosen sport or have whittled it down a little?
Was your interview after the initial sports test day? Did they mention anything in interview about scholarship or the call back? Is there any truth in the rumours that its the head or Mr Becks that interviews potential scholars?
Like you say you - you could read that your DS had done well at the interview otherwise why bother with the call back?
Ds is called back on Wed - hopefully on a snowfree playing field!
Sorry for all the questions, im a nervous wreck again.

havinganightmare Sun 27-Jan-13 08:15:40

Burntoutdad we weren't interviewed by Beck or HM and have a scholarship. Callback was after interview as well. Wise old Soup says not enough hours in day. Couple that with snow and you've got chaos! Delighted your son has been called back that is extremely positive. They will only look at boys they are considering at this stage so your DS obviously showed promise at the assessment day! Very hard to stay stress free but try not to drive yourself mad analysing... Although I was the same! Chocolate and wine helped (except not quite this early on a Sunday!!!)

Mr Beck interviewed DS2 last year for 11+ and said he "didn't often get let loose on the scholars".

I honestly don't think you can glean anything from the letters, order of interviews or other stuff.

Of course, the problem now is that the pitches will all be waterlogged!! Expect a very muddy child at the end of any rugby recall smile

Somelikeithott Sun 27-Jan-13 09:45:34

Burntoutdad, I know what you mean re letter. Having said that, I think they have whittled down.... I know some have call backs for more than one sport.
We had interview day after initial assessment, only mention we had re assessment is 'how did it go'?

I have no idea re who interviews the scholars, we were not interviewed by either of them.

It soooooooo difficult not to over analyse things isn't it? But I have to pretend I'm cool about it all for DS's sake ( lol!) And DH & I let it all out when DC have gone to bed

burntoutdad Sun 27-Jan-13 10:24:50

Nightmare, soup, hot, - Well that,s cleared that up thank you thanks- so its all totally random smile! Im a bit calmer this morning, think ive been tired during week and letting it take over my entire existence grin.
Interview tomorrow - we cant force the issue, have no decisions to make, they like us or they don't [Big Shrug] - what will be will be!
Big intake of breath - worry about selling house, car and living in caravan if DS does actually make it; without scholarship - move on with life smile
Good luck to everyone next week, whether its interview, sports assessment or still waiting to hear.

FatalFlowerGarden Sun 27-Jan-13 17:45:28

<cough> Ds has an interview on Tuesday <cough>

grin

kimalima Sun 27-Jan-13 17:47:21

Excellent news fatal. Hooray!!!!

FatalFlowerGarden Sun 27-Jan-13 17:51:23

Am SO relieved! Even if he doesn't eventually get a place, am just so proud of him for passing the exam!

Don't know when the letter arrived though. We live in a block of flats and a friend of mine found it on the staircase - could've been a disaster!

Marni23 Sun 27-Jan-13 18:07:07

That is brilliant news Fatal. Am sooooo happy for you x

Kylep Sun 27-Jan-13 18:32:47

So happy for you and your ds fatal

havinganightmare Sun 27-Jan-13 18:45:34

Fatal I'm so chuffed for you! smile

burntoutdad Sun 27-Jan-13 19:11:34

Fatal - brill news, it came eventually!

This thread is not accepting new messages.