Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Great Escape

(719 Posts)
GoodtoBetter Fri 18-Jan-13 07:24:59

I thought I would start a new thread, for anyone who might be interested in listening to my waffling on about my struggles with a difficult, overbearing mother. Thank you to whoever it was who suggested the thread title! I've changed my name for something a bit more positive.
previous thread here:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/relationships/1565077-My-mother-hates-my-husband-long

ThreeTomatoes Fri 18-Jan-13 08:10:23

Love it - the thread name and your new NN! grin

boschy Fri 18-Jan-13 08:14:32

theme tune is playing in my head now! grin

NettleTea Fri 18-Jan-13 08:22:05

good title and very positive name xxx
have fun at IKEA

Herrena Fri 18-Jan-13 08:31:16

Glad you like it grin excellent new NN by the way!

DoodlesNoodles Fri 18-Jan-13 09:28:37

Great title, great name change. smile

Have fun at ikea

asks the impossible

pictish Fri 18-Jan-13 09:32:25

Great title! I will be following you onto this thread too. It has been an amazing journey! xx

pictish Fri 18-Jan-13 09:32:51

Just saw your new NN. Love it!

lizzypuffs Fri 18-Jan-13 10:06:46

Very positive name change and I love the title!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 18-Jan-13 10:40:59

thanks Like the name change!

Emandlu Fri 18-Jan-13 12:05:23

I've been following your progress on the other thread, I have been quite aghast at your mothers behaviour.

I love the new nickname and wish you the best for your new place!

Aussiebean Fri 18-Jan-13 12:15:15

A great name and a great title. Start as you mean to go forward. All positive.

Hissy Fri 18-Jan-13 14:09:19

Hooray!

Love the NN!

The email is all about the drama. Your DB is well able to diffuse it, if it suits him to wait, then he can wait. All he need do is say, no rush. It'd be daft to sell a house now in Spain, perhaps in a year or so's time, things there may have improved a bit. It could be rented out over the summer to help with upkeep.

Don't get dragged into anything, stay cool, focus on the freedom ahead, not the turmoil you are leaving.

Jux Fri 18-Jan-13 16:15:45

Yeah, splendid NN and splendid thread title grin Lovely to see you being more positive and upbeat.

That IKEA song is running through my head now, it made me laugh and dd actually snorted from across the room at the first chorus! (We have 3 bookcases called Billy blush but we also have 3 from Argos which are a better size, half the price, but not quite so sturdy so nuts to you Ikea!).

Anniegetyourgun Fri 18-Jan-13 16:27:24

I beg to differ. I got cheap bedroom furniture from Argos when I first moved in here and it's quite nasty. Later I eked it out with an IKEA chest of drawers which was massively better quality at very little more expense. Mind you bookcases may be a different kettle of... books.

ThreeTomatoes Fri 18-Jan-13 16:41:09

Yeah I agree that IKEA's units are much better quality, sturdier etc, than Argos. At least of the units i've ever bought.

Jux Fri 18-Jan-13 17:06:45

We've only had them all a few months, so I bow to your superior experience! The Argos ones are not so deep which is better for us. The proof will be when we have to dismantle them and put them up again - the cheap ones will fall apart and the Billies won't. <whispers: they're still a bit too deep though>

GoodtoBetter Fri 18-Jan-13 19:13:09

Been one of those days...had a meeting in the morning and went to the wrong building and was 15 mins late. Arrived puffing and red in the face from having to run walk really fast to get to the right place. Was supposed to have choir practice after, which is a new thing I'm doing...had the first one while DM did a runner and loved it...but had to miss it because a guy was supposed to be coming to quote for removals. The bastard never turned up or even rang to cancel.

Ended up going with another one who can only do Friday and it looks like it's going to cost more than I'd hoped. Going to try to box up as much as poss this weekend before he comes to do the final estimate o Monday and try to reduce the cost a bit that way. Spent the afternoon marking and writing reports.

DS had a total freaking meltdown tantrum this afternoon so we decided to go to ikea to have a quick look at the bed I need to order for him (DM reneged on the offer of letting me take the stacking beds in DS' room, but is probably better that way). Overtired-not-quite-five-year-old + ikea = fucking nightmare.
Got nothing useful done except eat hotdogs. Going to make a big list and go back tomorrow first thing when it's quieter.

Period on it's way and got backache. At the moment there really aren't enough hours in the day.

ThreeTomatoes Fri 18-Jan-13 19:17:27

Oh dear. Some days are like that aren't they ! It sounds like one of those bad dreams where you don't quite manage to get anything done!

Don't forget moving house is the second most stressful thing one can do in one's life, at the best of times, let alone under your circumstances. Every time I've moved house I've come down with a bad cold and even had to end up taking time off sick. Look after yourself, and just keep repeating that it'll be over soon.

And I sympathise re IKEA, i've had the exact same experience with a little one!!

Gotta laugh though at "Got nothing useful done except eat hotdogs." grin

Have you called the non turning up removal man? Just to check he wasn't "cancelled" on your behalf?

GoodtoBetter Fri 18-Jan-13 19:47:28

No, she doesn't know who I called. The man was just fucking useless.

tribpot Fri 18-Jan-13 19:53:24

Doubtful the removal man would speak English well enough for newly-named GoodToBetter's mum to have cancelled him, Glaikit. Possible but more likely just flakey.

Hope you manage to get a bit of peace and quiet this weekend.

Dozer Fri 18-Jan-13 19:58:58

Not long to go, all the moving hassle (sympathy) will be well worth it.

Was just thinking out loud, sorry GoodtoBetter, I've been following your thread but not posted before. You have come on so much since you began.

GoodtoBetter Sat 19-Jan-13 06:46:25

OMFG I'm so so tired and so so much to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now