Why is Lillian allowing this to happen?

(975 Posts)
PseudoBadger Wed 24-Apr-13 12:47:07

FFS Lil, he's just a bit on the side. If he pisses you off just bin him. Don't start sounding so downtrodden.

PigletJohn Sun 19-May-13 15:13:49

65 and smokes like a chimney, hence the croaky old voice. No doubt she's heavily wrinkled and couldn't run for a bus.

chocoluvva Sun 19-May-13 15:18:48

She had a facelift quite a few years ago didn't she?

ppeatfruit Sun 19-May-13 17:01:20

In an old pic. she was much heavier and more heavily wrinkled than she looks now as well piglet. What with the drinking and smoking and having it off\stressed lifestyle it's a wonder she's still upright grin

PseudoBadger Sun 19-May-13 17:02:25

I suppose changing the actress in 2000 was kind of a facelift....

CuttedUpPear Sun 19-May-13 18:46:14

I always wondered how she managed to keep up the sexy business at her age. It's difficult enough at mine, and I'm a few decades younger. hmm

Does Paul just want her for her money then? I never saw it that way.

R4 Sun 19-May-13 19:46:40

No: she wants Paul's money. In Lillian's world, you show someone you love them by showering ridiculous amounts of money on them. She is a material girl; she could never fancy a pauper.

PseudoBadger Sun 19-May-13 20:16:27

Otherwise she'd be with Eddie....

HearMyRoar Sun 19-May-13 20:19:38

It's true pseudo, its very tragic really. Like romeo and Juliet but with more turkeys and cider.

CuttedUpPear Sun 19-May-13 22:43:18

Does Lil love Eddie then?

PseudoBadger Sun 19-May-13 22:55:25

They've always been close and had soft spots for each other. Matt even mentioned it this past week. And Eddie says so on his twitter grin

CuttedUpPear Mon 20-May-13 08:03:34

Eddie has twitter?? shock

R4 Mon 20-May-13 08:57:36

My latest wrong as usual theory version2: Paul is becoming dangerously unhinged and likely to drop Lillian in the mire. Lillian and Eddie have always had a soft spot for each other. It's not Darrell who lays patio for a living, it's Eddie ...

ppeatfruit Mon 20-May-13 10:27:14

Though that's good one R4. Did\does Paul pay for the flat on his own I wonder?

PrincessFiorimonde Mon 20-May-13 10:30:05

Arf at the patio-laying possibilities. I thought Friday's episode was excellent; yesterday's also pretty good as the scales finally seemed to fall from Lilian's eyes.

Agree that the Nic Goes to Church storyline is a bit wtf, though.

mummytime Mon 20-May-13 11:10:45

I wonder if the Nic one, is just because they need someone to carry on with the WI and the Church, no one else of the younger generation seems to.

Ambridge Mon 20-May-13 18:51:58

There's something ever so slightly sinister about Clarrie's eagerness to get Nic to go to church (I speak as a heathen who tbh finds organised religion a bit alarming). It makes me wonder if there's a giant wicker man being secretly built up on Lakey Hill.

And I missed the Matt episode! So angry!

TallGiraffe Mon 20-May-13 19:17:38

Ambridge - I player is your friend...

Well done SW, today's episode was brilliant and totally why I listen. Veterinary drama. Matt with the best line "enjoy your ride" grin .

Ambridge Mon 20-May-13 19:26:42

Yes, as soon as I posted I thought 'oh...' blush!

GrendelsMum Mon 20-May-13 19:32:28

"Enjoy your ride" grin

I agree with Mummytime that the Clarrie-Nick business - simultaneously odd and dull - is just to set up future life so that Nick can be the warm and welcoming working-class heart of Ambridge for the next forty years.

Either that, or Emma will have another hissy fit at Nick and Clarrie spending time together.

Ambridge - would you like to pop round to help me arrange the flowers in church? You only need to stay five minutes... wink

Ambridge Tue 21-May-13 21:33:35

shockshockshock

TheConstantLurker Wed 22-May-13 00:03:58

The Nic/Clarrie/Peggy church bits are cringe worthy. But I also speak as an aetheist with deep suspicion of organised religion. She and her children are being sucked in, brainwashed, taken over by the Christians! Aaaargh!

TallGiraffe Wed 22-May-13 06:22:45

The Nic church scenes are cringeworthy for us Christians too! It's very odd. Go to church or don't. Either way it isn't a big deal. Anyone would think she was becoming a nun.

PseudoBadger Wed 22-May-13 07:25:43

The worst thing about that church episode was yet again they clearly haven't got the budget for actors. So it's Nic and Peggy - "oh look it's Clarrie" <fade out>
<fade in> "oh yes Peggy, Clarrie said that too".
It's like the birthday party all over again.

R4 Wed 22-May-13 08:41:14

I love the way that they clunk segue from one dialogue to another: Susan is talking to Person A in the shop. Person B comes in and asks for something obscure. Susan has to go and "check the stockroom" while Persons A & B have their dialogue.
Pip and Spencer are in the car. Pip has to pop in to the shop to get gossip from Susan a birthday card. Which yoof send cards these dayshmm - they just txt.
Joe is in the pub talking to Nic. He needs to talk to someone else so we send Nic off to ask Freda where his lunch order is.

It's all so awkward and contrived.

GrendelsMum Wed 22-May-13 09:03:19

I want to hear one of Alan's sermons, the ones where he has them rolling in the aisles. Much as I like and respect our (methodist) minister, his sermons are not a substitute for stand-up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now