The decluttering, cleaning, vacating, pandering, nailbiting antics of the stressed out house sellers continued...

(1000 Posts)
CuddyMum Thu 11-Apr-13 16:47:11

Thought I'd better start a new thread... smile

CuddyMum Tue 30-Apr-13 21:35:10

Is it the £550k one?

sailorsgal Tue 30-Apr-13 21:47:29

No its the next one down for offers over £395,000 though I do like the decking on that bungalow. grin Lovely village and close to town.

CuddyMum Wed 01-May-13 08:17:55

Oh yes, very nice indeed. I'd ignore the offers over bit smile

sailorsgal Wed 01-May-13 13:35:03

It is getting a lot of interest that house but as much as I love it it has only 3 bedrooms, one been a small single which means we wouldn't have a spare room.

cuddy what is your new house like?

CuddyMum Wed 01-May-13 16:12:38

Oh God - on the phone to the Nationwide as I wanted an update and she's just told me that the underwriters have said they can no longer proceed with this application!! Fuck! I am actually going to cry.

monkeytennismum Wed 01-May-13 16:20:44

Oh God Cuddy, what a blow. I really feel for you; you've been such a help to everyone on here. Is there a second choice provider you had in mind?

trikken Wed 01-May-13 16:28:50

Oh no. Not good!

CuddyMum Wed 01-May-13 16:35:31

Sweet Jesus! The underwriters have been looking at the wrong bloody survey report. They are escalating and I should know by close of play tomorrow. I did shed a tear whilst I was on hold! Fuckers!

BTW sailorsgal - hopefully I'm buying a Victorian house! I'll send you a link once I've heard about the mortgage!

trikken Wed 01-May-13 17:43:26

Hope they sort it out quickly for you.

hanette Wed 01-May-13 17:51:42

Hi I have been lurking - house been on market for 2 months, 10 viewings or so but no offers yet

CuddyMum - poor you, good luck I hope it gets sorted tomorrow

I just wondered what you all thought about how important the choice of agent is? My existing EA has been fine and proactive but my house is ex-local authority. A different EA in the area specializes in this type of property (all ex-council) and recently sold a similar property to mine very quickly, for my asking price. I'm in north London.

Am thinking my mainstream agent may not be right, perhaps I should switch to the specialist (my initial contract period is up soon)? Or does it matter as everyone will just search online anyway and ring the appropriate agent when they see something they are interested in?)

Would be interested in everyone's advice.

Thanks

Jaynebxl Wed 01-May-13 18:49:47

O wow what a mistake! Hope they can sort it quick Cuddy.

Tau Wed 01-May-13 19:31:04

Cuddymum - I don't know what underwriters are, but whatever the are, it seems pretty daft to look at the wrong survey report! And far too stressful for you.

HereWeGoThen, we have started with an online agent. They were very friendly, helpful, and always available, but totally incompetent, stupid and useless. Then they went into administration .... which I suppose was understandable. Anyway, since they are now gone, they can't be the same as yours! grin

We are finally getting viewers now that we have a new estate agent. The first one I already posted about, and there will be another one tomorrow, and a third one on Friday. I have never tidied up this often before.

Turnipinatutu Wed 01-May-13 22:48:49

Oh no Cuddy! Fingers crossed it all gets sorted tomorrow.

CuddyMum Thu 02-May-13 07:55:10

Me too as I really don't think I have the strength to explain the whole damned thing to another call centre person!

Toomuchtea Thu 02-May-13 08:25:38

Cuddy what a pain. I do hope it all gets sorted today.

Good luck Tau!

Hanette would it be possible to do a joint agency? Though I think you'd have to negotiate hard on the fees.

TracerBee Thu 02-May-13 08:50:14

Hi everyone-

Can I join you? I am slowly losing my mind here on the property rollercoaster. We're in Scotland. I put our flat on the market a month ago, had loads of interest but within 4 days, I accepted a full valuation price offer with no conditions from a nice young couple. Who after stringing us along for 4 weeks turned out to not be able to confirm their finances. It might be they will get it all sorted- you know, sometime maybe soon- or then again, maybe not.

So back we go on the market. We've already had another full valuation price offer but since we live in a tenement the buyer wants a roof report (in addition to the Home Report we have already provided). So we said go ahead- and then we shall see. So this is being done on Friday. We're not taking it off the market in the meantime. I have no idea what the state of the roof will be. I think it's pretty good considering the age of the building. It was storm damaged a few years back, but then repaired. Who knows. I'll just be very, very surprised if the buyer doesn't come back looking for money off either way. Sigh.

monkeytennismum Thu 02-May-13 09:43:39

Welcome TracerBee - hopefully if the roof was repaired recently it will get a favourable report.

Sending positive thoughts your way today Cuddy

Spring market seems to finally have kicked in over here; we've had a few viewings this week. Also another smaller property has come on the market on our road over our asking price, so makes ours look good. Just need those perfect buyers to come along now......

CuddyMum Thu 02-May-13 10:04:51

Welcome Tracer and hanette!

Thank you to everyone for sending their positive thoughts. I have a day off today and a migraine too!

Good luck monkey - hope you have a rush of Bank Holiday viewers too!

HereWeGoThen Thu 02-May-13 11:37:05

Hope you get your underwriters sorted out Cuddy, sounds horrifically stressful.

Sounds like we've been luckier with our online agent than you Tau, though we've only had a steady trickle of viewings rather than a torrent, we got our first offer today, and it's a decent one from a cash buyer. Going to try to see if we can squeeze another couple of thousand out of them but will probably accept, and then that's 6k saved on traditional agent fees!

Have to start thinking about conveyancing now, any (London based) recommendations?

ghosteditor Thu 02-May-13 12:09:53

Hi everyone -

Can I join? I've just found this thread but I think it may end up being more valuable support than the antenatal thread I was on!

cuddy sorry to hear about your troubles, that sounds horrific.

We put the house on the market a month ago and we've had five sets of viewers, and one viewer who has made a low offer and an improved low offer. But then she lost her buyer so we're back to square one. We're struggling - we bought the house at the height of the market in 2007 and have done about £35,000 worth of improvements since then. But we bought at £247k and our asking price is £275k and we're still getting offers under the stamp duty threshold (or at the threshold with money added on for fixtures and fittings).

It's been pretty stressful so far trying to keep the house tidy with a 15mo around but we've found that the warmer weather has increased viewings a bit. The estate agents have a habit of calling with only a couple of hours' notice and we both work, though luckily I can pop home in my lunch hour for a quick blitz.

We live in a small Cotswold town and there's nothing else on the market in our range at the moment, which should be good for us. A house across the road (nicer but more expensive!) went up two days after ours and sold a couple of days ago, which made me :-/ Things are really starting to move - there are only a dozen or so houses which have recently been on the market and lots of people are staying local, so we tend to get the gossip about who is buying what.

Things have changed radically for us in the last few days because PILs have exchanged and are about to complete on their house move and have offered to help secure our dream house, so we're able to proceed before we can sell our own house. We had the offer accepted on Monday and the valuation is happening today, apparently. But as this all starts to get off the ground we desperately need to sell our house so we can give them their money back (they need it to extend/improve their house).

good luck everyone!

CuddyMum Thu 02-May-13 12:20:31

Ghost that sounds fab that you have been able to offer on your dream house with a little help from your PIL.

At least it means no upper chain for your property. It's such a shame about that stamp duty barrier when you're marketing at £275k. I don't have any advice other than hang in there.

ghosteditor Thu 02-May-13 12:29:29

Thanks cuddy, it was a huge relief - houses don't come up much in the village we're buying in and it is a rare opportunity to find something that is habitable straight away but that we can add value to with the skills we have - the house was built in 1982 but hasn't been decorated since then - but it's immaculate!

FIL is a carpenter and joiner and DH is quite capable so they have done a lot of the work on our existing house. PILs have moved 200 miles to be near to us and if we get the dream house we will in fact be about 1/2 mile away (thankfully they are lovely!). But their house needs heating, damp proofing, re roofing, demolition of an existing extension, rebuilding a two storey extension - the list is endless! So the stress will come back in a different form if they can't sell.

It's a rare gift to be helped like this and it seems to help massively to be able to proceed quickly here - lots of older couples who have a lot of equity in their houses and are looking to buy to let or buy for family. And at least we should be able to pay it back, so the short term awkwardness will be worth it. Risky business though!

We've decided to use the free legal services with our Nationwide mortgage for our purchase, since we're not in a major rush. I hope they're ok to work with...

CuddyMum Thu 02-May-13 12:57:47

Can't comment about their legal services but their mortgage call centre is shite! smile

Your PILs sound amazing - I hate mine and thankfully they live 80 miles away.

I await to hear from the Nationwide re my mortgage. I have chased once already this morning but nothing has happened and the paperwork is still with the underwriters. I should hear today or tomorrow morning. I added that I hoped it would be today as I won't be able to sleep tonight!

I'm awaiting an email from my solicitor re my sale. I hope that means we are ready to exchange...

Have also had to ask them to chase the other side for the fixtures and fittings list as some of the items are to be included as part of the sale and we really aren't entirely sure of what these are. We'd also like to see what else they would like to sell as it could make our lives simpler and their items are more in keeping with a period property.

ghosteditor Thu 02-May-13 13:23:10

bugger, we just signed up to the mortgage yesterday with Nationwide, though the process of taking our sign up money went smoothly, funnily enough! And allegedly they are getting the valuation done today. I've read about your issues and hope it will be balanced out by a stress-free move in the end.

We've been offered our pick of furniture too - the owner is now in a nursing home and doesn't need any of it, and as his children are in their 60s they don't need much of it either. There's some beautiful dark wood furniture but it's huge - I am tempted to make a cheeky offer for a few pieces that will tide us over then hope to be able to sell them on for better money, but I guess it depends what he was thinking for them. He also has loads of gardening tools which would be very useful for us (we're moving from a 3x3 metre garden to a huge 100ft garden!) which I can't imagine he would want.

PortBlacksandBetweenMyToes Thu 02-May-13 13:27:17

<whispers> Our buyers surveyor is here (homebuyers survey) - house is scrubbed to within an inch of it's life even though that's not what he's looking for.

Trying to distract myself on MN.

On a positive note our *'new house' survey came back and nothing was too scarey.

*not calling it that in real life yet .... faaaar too superstitious.

This thread is not accepting new messages.