Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2012 - Any words yet?

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Sun 05-Jan-14 22:38:50
StuntNun Sun 05-Jan-14 22:40:03

J only says Ta, but my DS1 and DS2 both started talking late too.

BigPigLittlePig Sun 05-Jan-14 22:43:32

Erm no. Not one, just lots of shouty babbling.

StormyIsles Sun 05-Jan-14 23:00:27

Aaa = Aulay (or any other dog)
Grandad
Rara = (Auntie) Laura
No = she can say it, just not understand....
Juice = milk/water - she points at the microwave if she wants it hot smile
Dad (everything is sodding dad)
Mum (occasionally)
Nomnomnom = this is tasty/feed me/I want your food NOW
Again

There are a few others but these are the main ones. We get "gobbeldy-gobbeldy-gobbeldy" lots too. She also sings (tunelessly blush) and dances - but only with her dead pan rave face. Being one is lots of fun!

Pikz Sun 05-Jan-14 23:19:00

He's like a little walking parrot. Very cheeky with it

TheDetective Sun 05-Jan-14 23:30:12

Not really.

Sounds such as hiya, baba etc. Sometimes I think he might have put the odd word in, but nothing in context.

He babbles away endlessly, particularly when he can see himself in the camera or mirror!

DS1 was a late talker at 2. I'm hoping O will be quicker. smile

fruitpastilles Sun 05-Jan-14 23:40:54

Nope no words yet. She shakes and nods her head for yes and no so I've at least got something to work with.

GTbaby Mon 06-Jan-14 00:00:59

He says words. But not sure he understands.

Yum/mmmum- food, hungry, yummy
Brumbrum - car
Waaagooo - warha guru (kinda like OM, something we say when we are praying)

Lots of babbling.
Trying to teach him hiya and associating it with answering the phone. As I think it will be cute blush

Also trying to teach him poo poo and ni nee (sleep) as I think it will be useful. Lol no idea if it will work.

TheDetective Mon 06-Jan-14 00:21:04

GTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grin grin grin

Where the FUCK have you been!

Lily311 Mon 06-Jan-14 04:39:47

Tons of words in 2 languages. Her understanding is amazing and uses the words in context. She doesn't say mummy though, can't wait to hear it.

gt you missed an entire thread!

PennieLane Mon 06-Jan-14 05:50:36

I missed a whole thread, but found you in active-very interesting! what age is a late or normal or early talker? I have no idea!

we have had mum, dad and dog for about a month or two, nothing since but 'talks' in babbling all day long. we've had ball and down today and yesterday in context, but only twice. really can't wait for talking, think it might help with tantrums!

this week M raises her hands in the air and claps and wiggles bum when music comes on. hilarious (to me) and has also started walking backwards everywhere which is a bit weird!

happy new year all! great to hear how everyone is doing!

lily tonnes?! wow!

O says Daddy, Mummy, more, book, duck, all gone. Basically most words or phrases which she can sign, she can also say, and she uses them in the correct situation, apart from duck. Every animal is a duck!

Have been lurking for a while, just no time to post atm. Don't think we've heard from Lydie for a while! hope everything is ok!

Right, need to go wake her up as we have an early start today. First day that she will be at nursery without DP and I in easy reach (nursery is a 2 min walk from home) as we are both working about 60 miles away, but in opposite directions. Just hope she doesn't need collecting for any reason!

StuntNun Mon 06-Jan-14 07:14:44

Pennie they should have at least one word by 18 months old. My DS1 was very late to talk, he didn't have any words at 18 months. DS2 was also a late talker. Now both of them are remarkably erudite for their ages, can't think where they might have inherited that inclination. wink

DS1's first word was Hiya, DS2's was No, J says Ta but I don't know whether that counts as a first word.

GT is back! Woohoooooo!

Sophiathestormfairy Mon 06-Jan-14 07:15:36

No.

A few but all in French angry

More than DD1 had at that age (none)

Basically says mum, dad, no, give, and voilà. And dog and cat.

PurplePidjin Mon 06-Jan-14 08:21:03

brew

Mumma, dada, mimi (millie the cat) bee (ball or balloon) ba (bath) more and he babbles in sentences

He also understands instructions so he'll point at daddy/grandad/millie (especially if you miouw!) go over to his high chair if you ask if he's hungry etc

Zamboni Mon 06-Jan-14 08:23:28

S says something that sounds like "hello" when he has a play phone/baby monitor/remote control clamped to his cheek. It is cute GT. grin He also says "yea", but only sometimes in context, but that can be funny if I ask him if he is tired and he says "yea". I also think he's saying "there" sometimes. Lots of dada, mumum, and a LOT of pointing and uh-uh-uh for I want that.

But his understanding is clearly there. I was in the shower the other day, and yelled asked DD to bring me a towel which was hanging on the bannister. S went to the bannister, pulled the towel down, walked over to me dragging the towel, and gave it to me. I tested this the next day. He gave me the bathmat. But it does look like a towel.

MsJupiterJones Mon 06-Jan-14 08:34:03

DOG!

He says this and points every time we see a dog. Or a cat. Or the sky. Or my sister.

He sort of overpronounces the G so it's almost 'dogo' which makes him sound like he has a welsh accent.

Oh and last night I think he said 'bubble' when he wanted me to get the bubble mixture from the shelf. Other than that like Dets O it's just continual babbling, often very earnest.

C has suddenly started talking loads in the last 2-3 weeks. He babbles constantly and a lot of it you can't understand but there are some things he says in context regularly.

Na - No (Farsi)
Ame - auntie (Farsi)
are - yes (Farsi)
in chieh? - what is it? (Farsi)
michay - I want (Farsi). He will point to the food on my plate and say this.
nanan - nana
gangad - grandad
mum
dad
baba - dad (Farsi)
hello
Nano - Kano (our dog). every dog is called Nano
buh - bus. every vehicle on the road is a bus
go - we say ready, steady then he says go
stop
don't. When I tell him 'don't touch' he will copy me, point his finger at me and repeatedly say 'don't touch' but you can't really understand the 'touch' part.

He has also said cat, duck and a few other words in context but they were one offs and haven't been repeated.

ditsygal Mon 06-Jan-14 10:09:22

Dada is the only one - and only occasionally used in context of DH. Everything is Dada, a-da, Dad, baba or bob. So I don't think I would count any as actual words except maybe dada for daddy.
He does shake his head for no though and can understand alot- go pick up certain objects if I ask, find a certain animal among his noahs ark toys, point to his nose, show me where his socks go etc so I know he can understand language. Really can't wait until he can talk though!

PennieLane Mon 06-Jan-14 11:37:33

thanks stunt very helpful! such a fount of knowledge!

PennieLane Mon 06-Jan-14 11:41:17

its reassuring that we're all roughly the same apart from 1 or 2 chatterboxes! MIL has been saying M is behind and we should be worried, but I think she sounds normal from this!

I don't know what counts as real words either ditsy none of Ms are crystal clear but in context and with pointing, and consistent, so I'm going with a yes!

PennieLane Mon 06-Jan-14 11:42:44

its amazing how much they understand at this age though! must stop swearing and discussing M in front of her sorry for posts, press send too quick!

TheDetective Mon 06-Jan-14 12:01:57

O doesn't really understand much. sad

Clap hands. Let mummy in (at stair gate when he's blocking me opening it).

That's about it.

sad

det He will be absorbing far more than you realise. I'm sure he is perfectly normal.

This thread is not accepting new messages.