Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

April 2011 - nearly 2, it's still all about you <disclaimer, I might be having a bad day>

(997 Posts)
UnderwaterBasketWeaving Fri 01-Feb-13 18:33:04

grin

Thanks to Frak, thread title queen!

Kittycatcat Thu 07-Mar-13 10:56:35

Ooh! Link sent to my sister for birthday inspiration!!

MrsWajs Fri 08-Mar-13 18:20:38

I found it kitty after engaging my brain and looking on the ELC website!! One cherry cottage purchased for R's birthday!

Ok own up, who sneaked in during the night and stole my lovely smilie calm little boy and replaced him with a tantrumming, hitting, screaming sleep refuser. Today has been the worst day ever. We had to leave a play date with our neighbour when b kept hitting her little boy. Other than saying no and removing him away, what else can I do. He refused to share toys, he stole his biscuit and every time I told him off he laughed like it was a game.

In his defence he was knackered after refusing naps, but it was hellish. We came home and he screamed for 10 minutes in my arms before conking out for an hour or so.

JKSLtd Fri 08-Mar-13 20:22:39

Not fun Fizz sad
Was it just tiredness do you think?

I know I was v crabby myself this morning after a busy & tiring week. Poor DD got a cross-voiced Mummy a few times over before we even left to go to playgroup sad I took a few deep breaths and was more cheerful once we were out.

When you're only still 1 it's hard to do that though grin

Sounds like you dealt with it well by leaving though, sometimes cutting & running is the best plan.

Is anyone else's LO turning into a right bossy boots? I'm not used to it from the boys so wonder if it's a girl thing. DD tells me what to do all the time, or not to do. If i turn on the car radio and she doesn't want it on, it's 'off Mummy off', or if it's not on and she wants it on, it's '(mu)sic Mummy sic'.

And the worst, but funniest is, if I'm talking (to her, to someone else, whatever), she says 'pause Mummy' shock grin

Too much time with Sky+ I think....

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 08-Mar-13 22:03:29

Ha ha, I LOVE 'pause mummy' grin

Ds3 new one is 'why?'.

'mint please mummy?'
'no, not at the moment darling'
'why?'

Any request that is met with a no, is then counter attacked with why? grin

He also likes to tell us when he has farted or poo'd - always in a loud and clear voice, and of course in a public place blush

'fart'
I smile and try to brush over the fact he is saying an unsavoury (to some!) word.
'FART, FART, FART'
If I don't acknowledge the fart, the volume increases grin

The conking out makes me think he was tired fizz, I remember ds2 doing that a couple of times. He would act atrociously (more so than usual wink ) then just conk out from sheer exhaustion.

abbyfromoz Fri 08-Mar-13 23:38:24

poor your fizz- DD was like that yesterday! I have a feeling it might be linked to those 2 y/o molars coming through? I got pretty fed up after she woke up from her nap after only 10 minutes sad

JKSLtd- feel you on the bossy boots thing. DD won't let me do anything! Including putting my bag on her buggy "t'off! t'offffff!!!' (take it off)
Tried to write a card yesterday for DH- she wouldn't relinquish the pen and subsequently we have a rather expensive scribble pad "NO! SHMINE! SH MIIIINE!!" LOL (It's mine)
I asked her today if she would like to come outside- as it was raining I took the umbrella...she chucked a wobbly and I thought she wanted to hold it, but when I gave it to her she tried to close it...got quite red in the face...much to my amusement (mean mummy)

oh lordy! hat off to those with more than 1 to contend with!

TwentiethCenturyGirl Sat 09-Mar-13 07:15:58

We have a bossy boots too - 'stop mummy' and 'stop daddy' are stock phrases here, and lord help us if we dare to sit somewhere other than the exact position she deems best for us.

DH thinks she's got it from her mummy. I couldn't possibly comment...wink

Kittycatcat Sat 09-Mar-13 07:52:57

Oh lordy fizz. What a day you had. Hope today is better. I think we are fast approaching the terrible twos eh. S's fave words are no not! Argh.

Me and dh have a party to go to tonight. So at 930 I'm having a pedicure and a manicure. And at 12 I'm getting my hair cut and coloured. I'm so grey now! We are staying at the inlaws tonight as they are babysitting and live near the venue.

A was sick with his bottle this am. A cough caused it. This is nearly always the case but the docs always declare his chest fine...

fraktion Sat 09-Mar-13 08:56:34

Oh yes I recognise the bossiness. Do far this morning we have had
'get up mummy'
'milk on cornflakes, not yoghurt, MILK'
'go see AP'
'no nappy change'
'get out'
'come on'
'chop chop'
'no coat'
'open the door'
'go swimming'
'chocolate button'

He used to preface all these with 'would you like', now it's just the imperative. I go back to work tomorrow grin <bad mother>

fraktion Sat 09-Mar-13 08:57:11

Bugger, just realised its not tomorrow, it's Monday. One more day of being a personal slave....

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sat 09-Mar-13 12:28:08

grin Frak! You make me feel better for enjoying my work life. Sometimes I think I'm the only nutter that cracks after more than a few days with a small child!

Operation Sleep is going well. Cm restricted him to an early 45 mins yesterday, he was asleep by 19:35 and sleep through till 7:45 this morning shockshockgrin furthermore, he woke up happy and cooperative. Maybe it was the sunshine? Maybe it was 12 hours sleep in a row? I don't know, but I hope it continues!

Just put him down now, will wake at 13:05, and try again today.

I love going to work, it helps me keep my sanity. I'm pleased i took the decision to reduce down to part-time when DD arrived. I feel like I get the best from both worlds.

A little envy of all these talkative children, P has only started saying Mum this week. I know it comes in time and DS was a slow talker too, but I am getting fed up of all the "shock is she still not talking yet". Even my own Dad keeps mentioning it now which is rich, as you're lucky to get a grunt, let alone a full conversation out of him.

Kittycatcat Sun 10-Mar-13 09:24:54

Happy Mother's Day aprilites

This year I told dh what I wanted and as a result have a beautiful leather recipe binder. Chocs. S 'wrote'in my card. And filhas gone to mcd to get bfast...they babysat last night as we had a party.

Daisy17 Sun 10-Mar-13 10:34:36

Happy Mothers' Day everyone! It's also my DB's birthday so we're off up to London for a family get together. smile Slightly dreading the restaurant bit but am armed with cars and books and the rest of it should be lovely. AND S slept through till 7am. Unheard of. Do you think he knew?! grin

abbyfromoz Sun 10-Mar-13 10:47:42

Happy mummy's day!!!
Had good cuddles in bed with my DH and munchkin... Then a ling shower (on my own!!!)
If that's all i get i am a happy mummy grin
Probably sounds crazy but i'm rather excited about getting stuck in to the garden today! Hehe
Hope you all enjoy your day with your families xx

No gardening here, 2inches of snow!

I had a long lie, so I'm not long up. Roast dinner later and a date with Ben and jerry! smile
Have a lovely day aprilites!

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 10-Mar-13 12:01:18

Happy mother's day.

F's gone a bit feverish with his current cold, so up overnight and not happy today. DH went mountain biking this morning. Me & F snuggled and did painting when the calpol kicked in.

I did get cards made with cm and at nursery.

DH is back, he bought squash. hmm

As people keep saying, it's not wife's day.

JKSLtd Sun 10-Mar-13 13:01:21

Oh dear Ubw hmm

Hope we all enjoy the day with our LOs smile

Lie in, breakfast in bed and bathroom to myself - they are my main treats!
Also have fire lit & roast for later.
Dh has taken ds2 out in the snow for (I'm guessing) flowers, though he will also be getting potatoes lol.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 10-Mar-13 20:29:54

l have had some epic cuddles today! grin

F's still hot and tired. He took himself to bed at 6. Heard whimpering so came and gave him calpol. Now he wants to sleep in our bed. Breathing is noisy (nose is blocked), but he's dead snotty cute.

I'm lying here with him waiting for him to go back to sleep so I can do more marking.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 10-Mar-13 23:12:27

F is sleeping in our bed tonight.

He talks in his sleep! grin (I'm sure it'll be less amusing later)

Kittycatcat Mon 11-Mar-13 08:30:05

Daisy how was lunch?

Abby did you get your gardening done?

Fizz what flavour? Yum

Jks did they return with flowers?

How's f ubw?

We had a lovely lunch yesterday. S was on the best behaviour and a fell asleep in my arms, meant I ate with one hand but preferable to crying!

We also put up our photo of Alex yest. Ill fb it.

Snowing confused

Glaikit Mon 11-Mar-13 08:58:30

Karamel sutra! With the core!

abbyfromoz Mon 11-Mar-13 09:44:28

Yes managed to get both the front and back gardens looking better! Trip to the dump today to dispose of all the waste! I know... Living life on the edge! Fine dining at nandos for tea too! Sounds like everyone had a special day. We are lucky to have such precious babies :-)

Glaikit Mon 11-Mar-13 10:11:02

Is there anything I could get to stop B being able to open the doors? There is no containing him. I could put stair gates everywhere, but that's maybe overkill. I just can't physically hover over him constantly. It would give me peace of mind if I nip to the loo he isn't in the laundry cupboard eating the washing powder!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now