Tearoom 35: Sun, sea and sand...

(990 Posts)
beanandspud Sun 27-Jan-13 20:33:55

This breathtakingly beautiful island has unspoilt powdery white sand beaches, crystalline turquoise waters that wash over pristine coral reefs, and verdant green rainforest.

Scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking and sailing trips are available and you can discover the island's charms on foot (with or without Mellors the guide) by mountain bike or private island buggy.

For those in need of pampering the spa offers a selection of luxurious treatments to soothe and heal both body and soul.

For dining, enjoy a freshly prepared meal at the tearoom, a picnic on the beach, or a delicious dinner in the oceanfront restaurant with its stunning sea views. There is wine, brew and good company, everybody is welcome.

mistlethrush Mon 30-Sep-13 11:44:15

Mellors seems to have let the NMBs run rather wild over the summer...

Scout19075 Thu 03-Oct-13 15:45:44

Tomorrow is SmallBoy's appointment at the eye clinic at the hospital. We bought a Get Well Soon magazine at the shop today to save for tomorrow for while we're on the bus and/or while he's waiting for his turn. I told him all about the hospital, who he was going to see and what they were going to do and, most importantly, that the doctors (he's seeing two) are going to tell Mommy & SmallBoy how to tell him see better. The look of relief across his face was very noticeable and he said "I need glasses, Mommy, then I'll see right." So many people in the family wear contacts and/or glasses that he knows what they're for and that's it's normal to wear them all the time. He still sees the hospital as somewhere Mommy has to go -- it's been a while since he's been for himself -- but he's not scared of it. I did have to tell him that we're going to a different clinic, not either of Mommy's, and that I would show him the way to the special clinic where they help children like him. Our paeds department has an awesome set up with toys, games, books, puzzles, drawing (and if I remember right, painting as well) and a carousel horse to sit on. Almost makes me want to be a (poorly) kid again!

I've been awake since about 4:45 and SB has been up since 5:00. I am flagging but still need to make dinner, clear up dinner, pack snacks etc. for tomorrow and generally do some jobs. Is it too early for cake and wine?

Scout19075 Fri 04-Oct-13 12:22:21

SB just told me he's nervous about the hospital appointment because he's scared of the eye patch and not being able to see. sad

On a positive he's given me all of his specifications for his birthday cake and told me all about how we get to my parents' house.

Poor boy.

mistlethrush Fri 04-Oct-13 12:58:08

I hope it goes (has gone) really smoothly and well Scout. I used to have to go for regular eye appointments when I was small - and my mother said that they always called us when absolutely everything she had brought to amuse me was out - there wasn't anything to play with and you had to take your own at that stage (it was the same dept as the adults - no difference). Quite why it always apparently meant a 3 hr wait I don't know - but I hope that you don't have a long wait.

Scout19075 Fri 04-Oct-13 16:18:13

Glasses ordered. A bit more going on than we thought but have caught it while young and all correctable (or able to be helped with glasses). First follow up booked. SB was a superstar.

mistlethrush Fri 04-Oct-13 17:21:17

Sounds a very positive outcome!

Scout19075 Fri 04-Oct-13 22:23:19

SB seemed relieved to find out that he can be helped (and with glasses!). He's going to have a fetching pair of blue rimmed wire-frames and a red case to keep them him -- he has blue eyes and red is his favorite color so he is very excited. He thought it was funny how big his pupils got but he wasn't impressed with how bright it was on the bus (silly me forgot to take his sunglasses with us). He was not impressed with the big girl crying/screaming in the treatment room when she was having her drops (to be honest, it freaked him out a bit -- and we hadn't started his appointment yet). We all went to dinner on the way home and got home late. SB and I are exhausted -- I hope he sleeps late tomorrow.

Turns out the children's eye clinic isn't held in the children's clinic after all but shares a space with the adult clinic. There was a mini playroom/area but not nearly as impressive as the one in the paeds department. Still, it had cars and one of those beads-on-wires thing so SB was a happy boy.

Today I got a big-ass cake pan for SB's birthday cake. He had told me he wanted a "line" cake which we've decided is a train line, with an engine and carriages on it. I was going to get a sphere cake pan from Lakeland but today he told me it had to be a square cake -- "Not a hill, Mommy, a SQUARE cake. With tracks and a train and ten carriages." Ten carriages will not fit on a cake unless I make one as big as the table. But I did get a big square pan (that he helped find/choose). He also wants "ten candles like Nana." He doesn't seem to understand that Nana had ten candles because 72 would not fit and because he'll be four he should have four candles. He also said to me today "I'll have a square cake with tracks and a train and carriages and ten candles and I'll listen to the "Happy Birthday to SB" song and I'll get to eat cake for my dessert after I eat my dinner and listen to my Happy Birthday song." It makes me laugh every time he says "I'm going to have cake and listen to the "Happy Birthday to SB" song." Today he told one of the doctors that he was going to have a cake and presents and the Happy Birthday song when it was his birthday "and I'll be four because four is after three and I'm three now which is big but I'll be four soon." He also told the same doctor "I'm not shy today" and proceeded to talk her ear off.

<<Passes around wine for all>>

Scout19075 Fri 04-Oct-13 22:34:07

Oh, and bargin of the day -- a cookie cutter for 9p. 9p?!?!? Originally £1.29. I mean, seriously, 9 pence! I know it's not going to be the best quality cutter I've ever bought but for 9p if ends up in the play dough box I don't care!

mistlethrush Fri 04-Oct-13 22:41:09

At 9p who would care where it ended up!!! Glad it all went well.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 04-Oct-13 22:44:23

::helps self to cake and wine::

I'm glad that things seem to have gone so well at the hospital. And SmallBoy's speech about four coming after three is just adorable.

Scout19075 Fri 04-Oct-13 22:52:01

In JL SB told me "I think I'd like Brio for my birthday." Now there's a surprise!

Scout19075 Fri 04-Oct-13 22:52:27

<<Passes around more cake and wine>>

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 04-Oct-13 22:56:37

::gratefully accepts::

beanandspud Fri 04-Oct-13 23:12:53

So pleased that all went well Scout, I was thinking about you.

wine and cake? Yes please! grin

beanandspud Fri 04-Oct-13 23:13:37

<<waves at Maud>> Any early tips for Strictly?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 04-Oct-13 23:26:09

::waves at Bean::

Too soon to say, I think, but I like Mark Thingummy, the actor. He was very good as the station master when we went to see The Railway Children.

Jacksmania Sat 05-Oct-13 04:02:33

Mark Thingummy? grin and hmm - that'll really help me Google him grin

Scout, I'm glad the eye appointment went well. And the glasses sound adorable. Can't wait to see pictures.

I have had an exhausting day - it's 7:54 pm and this is the first I've sat down since I got up this morning. Well, I suppose I was sitting while driving... I was planning on going across the US border to my parcel receiving place (shipping within the US is usually free or minimal, and v v fast - whereas shipping across the border is expensive and sloooooooooowwwww, so I have a PO Box of sorts) and was chatting with my mum while heading down. She asked me what JB was going to be for Halloween.
Me <squeak>: "Halloween... that's four weeks away... erm... there are four weekends between now and Halloween... and we're away for three of them. Erk." Cue quick decision to head a bit further south to the mall on Bellingham to go to the Target store and get the costume he wanted... a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. I can't believe they're popular again - they were around when I was a teenager and that was in the 80s!!!! Good thing we're all around the same age as I suddenly feel quite old.

So, I got that accomplished, took a quick side trip to Trader Joes for snacks we didn't need yummies, and then back home across the border. Got a border guard who obviously felt the need to be a hard-ass because I had to go pay duty and I normally never do... oh well...

JB had a play date after school (I think I posted a few weeks ago - he's started kindergarten and it's full days, 8:52 to 2:40 pm, same as elementary school hours) and I went grocery shopping for the stuff we actually did need and then went home, put it all away, did laundry, etc etc etc, raced to the play date's house (in our neighbourhood), came home, dinner, etc etc etc... and wow, now I'm off my feet and I'm really tired.

wine, anyone?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 05-Oct-13 08:36:01

The BBC website will tell you all you need to know, Jacksmania ::grin:: Mark Benton

I quite regularly buy from one US website and always feel miffed when I get nabbed for import duty. ::bad citizen::

It's breakfast time here, so I'll pour the wine over my cornflakes!

mistlethrush Sat 05-Oct-13 09:14:45

DS has played rugby for school twice this week (against 3 schools as they managed 2 at one time) - they won the lot of them. I was really surprised that he'd made the team as lots of his friends are in teams outside school. He seems to be enjoying it though which is great.

DH has apparently given up karate with DS. I am not impressed.

Scout19075 Sat 05-Oct-13 09:33:03

I get p!$$ed off when my mom's packages to us, under the duty amount and clearly presents sent by an individual, get held up for duty payment. £25+ for a box under the value of $40?! Customs is having a laugh!!! This is why Mom no long sends SB birthday presents but holds them two/three weeks until we arrive and he gets them there, uses them and they get packed up looking well loved.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 05-Oct-13 09:38:08

How many weeks/days until you go, Scout?

Scout19075 Sat 05-Oct-13 12:39:04

We leave Nov 16th. SB's birthday is Oct half term week. I'm excited to go home. SB is excited for an adventure.

Scout19075 Sat 05-Oct-13 12:46:04

JM, will there be pictures of your ninja turtle? And which one is it? My brother was seriously into TMNT as a boy and I am very old compared to him. I know way more about the original than I should.

Jacksmania Sat 05-Oct-13 16:14:56

There will definitely be pictures and I think it's Raphael (will have to look again but it's the one with the two sword thingies).

mistlethrush Mon 07-Oct-13 08:39:37

DS is contemplating being Sherlock Holmes with his very own hound of the baskerville...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now