Omg such anality from pil. Come and share your anal behaviour stories (lighthearted)

(858 Posts)
ledkr Sat 05-Jan-13 11:04:30

We are with pil at present and they are very sweet but so bloody uptight about everything.
Bil has been away for a week so he left car with pil so that it "wasn't left in the street" it has a steering lock on and fil takes it for a drive each day! The car is an old banger worth about two hundred quid.
Kids can't even eat a banana without a table cloth,mat and plate hmm
Leaving the house to walk to shops is a major ordeal. Costs hats gloves change of shoes everything switched off at the wall last minute run upstairs for wallets. I could have been there and back.
So I'm asking you to entertain me with similar stories to help me through the day.

Howlingwithlaughter Wed 05-Aug-15 15:54:38

I remember arriving late at pil's one weekend due to our car breaking down. Rather than make a new pot of coffee, or God forbid instant, my mil warmed the leftover plunger coffee in a saucepan!
I also remember my mil flat out refusing to have her corsage (or whatever you call it!) for our wedding from the florist we were using as she preferred to use the florist they used for my sil's wedding. Even though that florist was nowhere near us!
Thank god DH is nothing like his family!

AmIbeingTreasonable Mon 03-Aug-15 01:23:21

"I think it starts with obsessive tea drinking. I drink loads and only use certain tea bags and it has to be made a certain way strong with little milk or I literally can't drink it. Ds gets stroppy cos I just can't drink his mugs of beige luke warm slop. The tea bag doesn't work properly when it's not hot enough fgs.
I also worry about being unable to have tea and if necessary take tea bags or a flask."

^ledkr are you me? grin I do almost exactly the same except I like lots of milk in my (strong) tea. I set the microwave timer for 5 minutes so that it's brewed to perfection exactly my liking grin and at friends houses I use the timer on my phone and make it myself so that it's perfect to my liking grin

Oh and it has to be in certain mugs only which I handwash so they last longer as the dishwasher takes the glaze off over time I have 6 of them and don't like anyone else to use them grin

hifi Sat 01-Aug-15 20:57:39

My mums neighbour gives them 12 potatoes a week from his veg patch. No more, no less. He also practices double daylight saving in summer time, he's an hour ahead of everyone else. Even more daylight.

spancake Sat 01-Aug-15 19:35:38

I bloody love my pils, but the things they do drive me crackers. Everything is military! Last weekend they got us opening a gazebo in the garden to a very specific 'team' routine, it looked like we were rehearsing some odd ritual, it was so pre use!! Neither of the have massive appetite and today we had a "picnic" consisting of a slice of bread cut in to quartets with cheese thinly sliced on top, two cherry tomatoes (halved) and two slices of cucber each. They have recently acquired a caravan, the DRAMA of using it is astonishing!

milkmilklemonade12 Mon 27-Jul-15 01:52:22

Oh God I'm crying at 'your kidneys are out!' hahahahaaaaa! grin

mumkee Sun 19-Apr-15 13:05:29

This thread has seriously cheered me up! :D

My father in law takes about half an hour to park his car, he choses a spot, tries to park in it, then decides a better one has come up and move to it!
He repeats this a few times, backing in and out of a space at a snails pace to 'straighten up'

My nanna has an obsession with tops and jackets covering your back too, if your shirt has ridden up a bit at the back exposing your skin, she will rag it down in all weathers because 'your kidneys are out'

Absolutely love this thread. I'm terrified though that it will come to us all eventually. What will our DCs think of us when we're older with our weird little idiosyncrasies?

We went to a holiday home with ILs once. We'd been driving for 7 hours and I was gasping for a drink. I got a glass from the cupboard and MIL yelled, 'NO! It hasn't been washed up'. I kid you not, they were taking out every perfectly clean item of glass, crockery, cutlery, the whole lot, and washing it. It was the first thing they did when they got to the holiday house, before even unpacking. I was so thirsty I had to just say I didn't care and used it anyway. They still mention the time farewell used a DIRTY GLASS.

DMum has her funny little ways as well. She has a kitchen bin that lives next to the dishwasher. Every time she loads the dishwasher she has to move it out of the way. When we get there DH moves it to the perfect little bin-sized gap about 3 feet away. Then DMum moves it back again. It makes them laugh. But I also find I'm turning into her. I have to have a cuppa at 11am and 3pm whether I'm thirsty or not. She does this and it used to make me laugh. I'd say, 'But what if I'm thirsty at 2.30?'. I now clock-watch until 3pm when I'm 'allowed' to have my tea. ARGH.

Panga63 Tue 07-Apr-15 19:03:48

Newspaper clippings: aged uncle clips "interesting" obituaries from the daily paper and even took them along when visiting his dying sister in hospital as she'd be interested confused.

TheEggityOddity Mon 06-Apr-15 20:27:01

Oh god I have laughed!

Nothing too mental but my mum and dad are very fussy that they only drink filter coffee with one of those pump things and bought me one as a christmas present so they had one taking up space at my house. I have a perfectly tasty and active stove mocha that takes no space at all and live with an Italian so we do know good coffee! Also they have an unhealthy relationship with flasks and take one on the shortest journey which my mum cracks open the minute they start down the drive.

My in laws have the same tablecloth/eating everything at the table obsession including cups of tea. And I am so scared of being told off about DS not wearing slippers that I lock him in the bedroom until I have had chance to get them back on his feet with lots of threats!

But some of these are so so much worse!!

QueenInTheNorth Mon 06-Apr-15 20:05:12

No, apparently my water was acceptable! it was just my kettle, tea and coffee that was not.

Jenmk1 Mon 06-Apr-15 19:52:45

A friend's DF buys the cheapest tea bags he can find then cuts open the bag and uses a teaspoonful of tea to make each cup of tea. That way you can get 3 cups from each tea bag confused

Lottieismydog Mon 06-Apr-15 13:23:23

Kettle?! Did they bring their own water too ! My mum / dad always used to pack weeks before they went on holiday and we're always outraged that I never pack until the day before! They ask our "plans" for events months before e.g. What is happening at Christmas ? in August ! My mum used to have this thing about serving sandwiches in baskets when people came over for lunch - no plates - I think she thought she was being very European !

QueenInTheNorth Mon 06-Apr-15 12:51:15

Today, PIL's have arrived. They have brought their own kettle, tea and instant coffee, because they don't like our coffee (We don't have instant). They are only visiting for the day, and came on the train.

MagelanicClouds Wed 01-Apr-15 17:46:12

My parents do the slipper thing, they cart them about everywhere they go. My mums attitude to it is a bit odd though, she popped out into my back garden for a bit in them and came back in again. I pointed out that she'd been outside and she said 'I'm in my slippers!' so that made it OK?

DH likes to mock me for my middle class-ness and is proud of his working class roots and yet he's the one with an item if glassware for every kind of drink. Pint glasses, tall tumblers, lo-ball tumblers for spirits, brandy glasses (he doesn't even like brandy!), sherry glasses and a crystal glass tankard. Me I slurp beer from the bottle.
Oh I forgot the normal wine glasses and the champagne flutes. Woe betide anyone for using the wrong type of glass!

MrsGiraffe12 Mon 30-Mar-15 15:36:11

Oh God, I know this is an old thread but a lot of these could be written about and I'm only 28......

* I meal plan for a week, and buy my groceries in date order for this purpose
* I cut my name and address off any junk mail and shred it before throwing it away (also anything confidential is shredded)
* I turn off things at the wall, only sky plus, bedside lamps and the fridge/freezer is left on. Though in my defence, this is because as a child our house was totalled by a house fire, which was down to an empty kettle turning on itself somehow. Luckily we all made it out alive, but our pet cat didn't, and the house was practically ashes :-(

reni1 Mon 23-Mar-15 09:08:44

My dad made dd eat an ice lolly at the table, using a plate and a napkin, gave her cutlery just in case, too.

scarffiend Sat 08-Mar-14 19:45:23

My PIL are the very opposite of anal. They came to visit us last summer & my MIL blocked the toilet, which then flooded all over the bathroom floor. She yelled, me, FIL and her all standing there in shitty dirty water, flinging down every towel I possess to soak it up once I'd stopped the running water in the loo. Once all the water had been soaked up, she asked me 'should I just hang the towels up to dry?'

Last time she was trying to help FIL get his shoes on without a shoe horn, and what else would you use but a knife?? Which is then replaced in the cutlery drawer as though it had never been used to force rancid smelly feet in to shoes.

mrsnec Sat 08-Mar-14 07:11:33

My inlaws are fanatical about their tea. They will only consume a specific brand which despite being readily available they still import it from the UK in catering packs. They have special mugs in their house and ours and I've had to have numerous masterclasses in how to make it. Whenever they travel they take it with them but buy a fresh sealed box just in case it's ceased by customs. They often travel from here to the states via the uk and once spent ages trying to find a supplier of said tea at lgw in case their tea got ceased on the first flight! They were both in hospital last year and couldn't possibly drink hospital tea, despite the bakery next door selling English tea and the hospital easily providing hot water and milk we had to take flasks several times a day and special mugs. When I made it dg had to sample it to check id made it right he's lucky I didn't throw it at him!

TamerB Sat 08-Mar-14 06:59:00

I find it irritating that it is only about parents of boys.
Parents of girls can be just as irritating and many have both.

PhoneSexWithMalcolmTucker Sat 08-Mar-14 06:56:05

Ah, one of my favourite threads returns <happy sigh> smile

Posy the clocks on every wall sound quite terrifying.

WanttobePosyFlump Sat 08-Mar-14 06:30:52

Forgot to say DPs also have clocks in the garden!!

Just in case, you know, your watch suddenly breaks down! I can't tell you how many times they both look at their watches when you are with them.

And the spreadsheets! When they are coming to visit for a week I get a spreadsheet about a month in advance with their itinerary and what will happen on each day.

Don't start me on the dishwasher, which will be unfilled if I have filled it, and filled CORRECTLY and also the supermarket bags which must be flattened properly and folded in to small neat squares.

WanttobePosyFlump Sat 08-Mar-14 06:22:16

Teaonesugar ^ Two weeks before they go on holiday the suitcases will be out on the "front room" floor, she washes, dries and irons everything and puts it away as it's done, when they get back from holiday their "holiday Clothes" go away unwashed, and the cycle begins again, I find this very odd, but then again I don't have a complete "holiday only" set of clothes.^

Are you saying they actually put their unwashed clothes back in the suitcase until their next holiday!! gross!!! What about if they have dribbled dinner down something - it must get all moudly - and what about sweaty clothes...ewwwww!! lol.

WanttobePosyFlump Sat 08-Mar-14 06:17:04

With my DP, it's time. It's alllll about the time.

Not only do they need a clock in each room, but on each WALL so that no matter which direction your head is facing, you can see what time it is. It has inversely affected me so that I don't wear a watch and am vague about time on purpose when quizzed just to see them meltdown. hmm

One must never be late for ANYthing. So if someone says 'ok, see you at about 3", they will plan the entire day around the precise time they must leave at to arrive at precisely 3pm. This involves lots of pacing up and down the room and frantically looking at their watches if it's getting near to Exact Time of Departure and someone isn't quite ready yet. Even when you point out that it was a vague meeting time and it doesn't need to be a military precision exercise you are met with "We don't DO late!" exclamations.

Absolutely drives me crazy. And the questions: What time do you need to be there, so how long will that take to drive, what time are you going to leave..aaaaaaaaaagh!

They also have different crockery depending on the meal times. They heat plates and DM always has perfectly manicured nails. Every time I see her she'll ask when I'll next be doing my nails... blush

CorusKate Wed 19-Feb-14 02:02:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Katinkia Sun 16-Feb-14 22:38:41

I once backed into a tree on my PILs drive knocking off a piece of tree leaving it all green and shiny. Next time I was there I noticed it looked totally fine and enquired to MIL. 'Oh I glued it back on' she said....

She also had a major freakout once when we took one of those bubble machines to her house and set it on the grass. Some of the bubble mixture leaked on to the lawn and she came out with a bowl and towels to clean it up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now