Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Sertraline and any other AD's Support Thread Part 2

(929 Posts)
PackItInNow Fri 07-Dec-12 13:48:03

Just a continuation from the original thread, which is due to finish soon. Anyone and everyone needing some kind words, and hand-holding, are more than welcome smile.

PackItInNow Tue 22-Jan-13 22:19:49

<<hugs Vicar back>> Thanks Vicar I'm just having one of my blips. I know it will pass, I just have to ride it out for the meantime.

It's so overwhelming. The anxiety that is. The thought of going in and having to face the other 15 classmates is making me feel very unnerved.

PackItInNow Tue 22-Jan-13 22:59:06

Pain I'm sorry you're having a rough time of it. I hope things get better for you soon. It's no fun feeling like this, is it?

Amey, instead of looking at what you haven't done for your family, think about what you HAVE done. You're DC are looked after and there's no point in going over the "What if's". What's done is done. You can't turn back time and undo those things, but you can learn from them (if there is anything to learn from) and resolve to improve the future for your DH, DC and yourself. Also, if you don't look after yourself properly, you can't look after your kids properly. Those were the wise words from my former HV.

Fluffy, how are youfeeling today? I hope you are getting rid of that cold.

AM away to bed now as I'm absolutely shattered. Will chat to you all tomorrow.

Take care and good night smile.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 22-Jan-13 23:04:32

goodnight packit
stick with it - it will pass. carry on just as you are - sitting where is most easy for you and take that MP3 if it works for you....

go a little earlier maybe so you can be in your seat before the others come in....

goodnight - sleep well.

goodnight everyone else....

uptothestars Tue 22-Jan-13 23:38:45

Looks like we're all having a bad time of it at the moment sad
I've not really got anything constructive to add, I just wanted to check in and see how everyone's doing that and make sure that I'm not on my own in feeling like this wink

Stay strong guys...

PackItInNow Wed 23-Jan-13 08:21:13

Morning good ladies smile. How is everyone today?

I barely slept last night and am exhausted. Was constantly feeling very uncomfortable about going in today. Have a late start so I'll be dropping the kids off and walking down to college. I am still feeling uncomfortable this morning and DH is wondering why I'm so quiet.

I'm going to go up to the other cafe on C floor. It's nice and peaceful there and I can sit there and get on with my own thing.

It's stange because I feel like it's no effort at all to talk to the lecturers, but talking to class mates takes so much effort that I come home exhausted every day sad. I also get the feeling that once I drop the kids off to school, I'll be walking down to college in an absolute state as I can feel myself welling up already.

Anyway, I hope you all are having a better day.

packitin I am sorry you are finding things tough, it is so hard going to college/uni isn't it? All that pressure to be sociable. You can do it though, I hope it goes ok today.

vicar I really would go back to your GP sooner and explain how you feel there might be something they can do, I am glad you feel a bit clearer about work though.

Dawn you are having a rough time of it sad Can you access CBT to help you talk through it?

stars - still thinking of you.

hey guys!

Dosage bumped from 20mg to 40mg prozac today (they really don't give a toss), been feeling especially shitty in the early evenings but then too tired to take advantage of the better (i.e. neutral) feeling which comes back around 8/9pm. I know most depressed people feel worse in the morning, but are there any other times of day that you guys notice are hard for you?

I have to do a presentation, in German, in two hours.....haven't bothered to learn it, I'll just read it from the paper. Feel all right now though smile and am just thinking about the fact that two years ago I could barely speak in front of a class and couldn't breathe and shook etc.....being forced to do it really does help. My first presentation in AS History- everyone else spoke so well and I was just a mess. I was just reading off a powerpoint and then were two minute stretches of silence where I could not talk. I still have trouble with breathing but it's nowhere near as bad. So that's all good.

Packitin are you in any socs, or would that be difficult? They are tiring, meetups....but more structured than small talk waiting for a lecture to start or going for coffee in between classes, that kind of thing, so there's less uncertainty and fuzziness. Are people kind at least?

PackItInNow Wed 23-Jan-13 16:10:33

Hi Quirrel Today was utterly crap. I love the work, I just hate having to talk to anyone but the lecturers. I just sat in the corner getting on with my work and listening to my MP3, while the rest of the class were gossiping.

I really cannot be arsed with gossiping about who did what, where and when. I have to do a PowerPoint presentation but I cannot do it. I cannot get up in front of a class of adults and talk about something. I'd actually be quicker to walk out of the classroom than do the presentation. The only problem is that we're being recorded and the recorings are to be sent to the admissions office at Queens University (Belfast) so they can pick the best mature students on the Access course.

I've always wanted to go to Queens, but because I can't stand up in front of a class and do a presentation, I guess that's my opportunity gone. I may as well give up now before I totally humiliate myself..

PackItInNow Wed 23-Jan-13 16:14:58

I go to St John's Ambulance. That's all though, and it's a small group, so not too bad. I wouldn't go to anything that has more than 10 people at it as more than 10 people is a crown to me and I don't do crowds.

BlackCatinChaos Wed 23-Jan-13 16:21:32

After doing o.k. for a few days I have come crashing back down --mainly because of the way dd is behaving-- sad
She just makes life so hard sometimes. I feel like I am failing at everything again.
The housework is piling up and I haven't got the motivation to do it.
failed, failed and failed again!!!! sad sad

PackItInNow Wed 23-Jan-13 16:53:56

crowd Nowt like a good old fuck-up to brighten the day up grin (I look like the smiley on a good day)

BlackCat I'm so sorry you've hit a bad patch. I'm sure it'll pass, so I suppose it's just a matter of getting through it.

PackItInNow Wed 23-Jan-13 17:23:11

You haven't failed BlackCat, I'm sure you're a good mum smile. Put it this way, if your DC are well fed, clean, and happy then you're doing something right, so you haven't failed.

PackItInNow Wed 23-Jan-13 21:24:07

Am away to bed now as the AD has kicked in and I'll be talking shite if I stay on here much longer grin.

Will try and get a better night's sleep. Tomorrow's another new day after all.

Anyway, goodnight ladies and I hope if today wasn't good for you, may tomorrow be the start of many better days to come smile

PainForLife Wed 23-Jan-13 21:50:41

hey every1,
things r still no better for me as the awful voices & suicidal thoughts continue sad medication dosage has been doubled today so hoping to see a change in things soon although it will take a few weeks or more. at least I have been given sleeping pills so I can at least get a good night sleep. seeing the psychiatrist tomorrow so have a feeling dosage might be changed again. a bit scarred as it'll be the first time in months I will leave my room to go outside. have no choice though either I see the psychiatrist or they admit me!

dnt know if its the medication or what but I can't seem to cope with any loud noises atm. even someone talking loud gets me angry. I could not even take my little singing her fav nursery rhyme loud & snapped at her and I feel absolutely shite for it sad

<hugs for all having a crappy time of it>

Ameybee Wed 23-Jan-13 22:59:38

Terrible day here- drove to baby massage class in tears, parked up but couldn't get out the car for crying so came home. Have been dry heaving most of day sad day 10 on sertraline, when will it stop? Feel horrendous! X

PackItInNow Thu 24-Jan-13 07:36:50

<<hugs Pain and Amey>> So sorry you've both had a rubbish time of it yesterday. Things should get better with time but it may take a while, so prepare yourself for a long hard slog on the road to recovery.

PainForLife Thu 24-Jan-13 10:47:42

morning pack <hugs back>
just on my to the appointment, really crapping myself & it's absolutely freezing & just started snowing (gritting teeth).

will be back later to let u all know how I got on. fingers cross they don't admit me that will really throw me off (hate hospitals).

hope every1 is having a better morning then yday (thanks)

PainForLife Thu 24-Jan-13 10:48:53

that was thanks not thanks, stupid phone!

PackItInNow Thu 24-Jan-13 16:12:52

Thanks Pain, how did your appointment go? I hope they didn't admit you, and if they have decided to, I hope they don't have you in for long.

Had a utterly crap day today. Just wanted to cry, but am so numb I feel like I don't have any emotions at all, if that makes any sense sad. The one thing I will not do under any circumstances is commit suicide. I love life too much and have too strong a grip on life anyway. I'd rather cry my way through depression than do anything daft. Besides, DH and the rascals would miss me annoying them and doing their heads in grin.

PainForLife Thu 24-Jan-13 20:29:41

pack it will definitely not be the same without u so I'm glad u have chosen life smile I completely understand what u mean about feeling no emotions & being numb as that's hw I'm feeling atm. well apart from anger - I'm snappy & horrible to everyone atm & just don't want to talk to anyone!
appt was ok - medication changed again so now I'm on 150mg venalfaxine & 100mg quetiapine. they are increasing that week by week to allow my body to get used to it. Found out something new today that venalfaxine is the strongest AD out of all so I must be pretty bad to be on that and an anti-psychotic together. anyway thankfully because my family is watching me like a hawk they are happy to leave me on the home treatment programme.

hope everyone is doing ok. if u cry then it's good because ur letting it out & not allowing emotions to build up so guys dont be afraid to have a good cry - well at least that's what I've always been told & must admit it does help at times....

PackItInNow Thu 24-Jan-13 21:44:27

Thanks so much Pain for your kind words. I started this thread to offer some hand holding and reassurance to those who needed it. I didn't expect to need some myself as I'm usually so positive and try to help people find ways of coping with their MH problems.

It's funny how the people giving help can end up the ones needing help themselves, at times.

I can guarantee that things will get better. When I had PND, it took the best part of 6 years to mentally crawl through it, but I got through it, came out the other side and it made me stronger to the point where it takes a heck of a lot to make me feel depressed.

Anyway, enough about me, how about everyone else? How are you all doing? I hope you all had a better day than I did. What have you all been up to today? Anything nice, good etc?

uptothestars Thu 24-Jan-13 23:06:08

Pain...sounds like you have an amazing support network. Absolutely crucial at times like this...hope you're ok and your medication starts working its magic soon smile

Pack, six years to get through PND...I'm 'only' 19 months in (but a lot better than I was in the beginning) Now it's the guilt that tips me over the edge.

Fluffy ~ thinking of you too. How are you doing?

I have a week off next week. I'm getting my nails done, eyebrows waxed and tinted and hair highlighted. I need to start feeling like me again (and looking a bit more presentable than normal!)

Also, I think I may NEED to do some serious shopping, running out of some of my make up and could do with adding a few new items to my wardrobe ~ plus spending money makes me smile grin
(Can you tell pay days coming up??)

Dawndonna Fri 25-Jan-13 07:24:36

Good morning, folks.
Took my first tricyclic in years last night, so am feeling a bit groggy this morning. Fortunately I don't have far to get to the school bus stop and it's minus ten here so that'll wake me up!
I hope everyone has a good day.

PackItInNow Fri 25-Jan-13 08:36:35

Morning Dawn, I felt like that to start off with, then it eased. I found that if I took my night-time tablets at tea-time, then the grogginess wore off by the morning. My tea-time is normally about 4.30 - 5pm so it was good taking them at that time and waking up without feeling groggy the next day.

Feel a bit better that this is my day off (I go to college Mon - Thurs) because I don't have college to remind me of the looming presentation. I can relax for 3 days.

Anyway, have to go and drop kids off to school, but I hope everyone has a nice calm day without too much happening smile.

Be back soon ladies.

Dawndonna Fri 25-Jan-13 09:23:32

I ended up working in Academia, am a lecturer. Have you approached any of your lecturers about the presentation? I have on occasion asked another first year to present for a student. Might be worth a try. I tend to get a second year student to present for a nervous first year, they then end up with a mentor/friend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now