Donor IUI?

(204 Posts)
MinnieMooMoo Wed 09-Oct-13 15:12:27

Hello! Just looking for a group/quiche to join but not really sure where I fit it.

I'm intending to go it alone and have Donor Insemination by IUI starting in January providing my investigations all come back clear.

Any one else in the same boat, or has done it alone in the past?

businessadmin Thu 09-Oct-14 21:16:04

Hi everyone, I had a 2nd round of IVF, I had a 3 day transfer and had two embryo transferred back into me.

I tested a week later and got a positive result, I was booked in for a scan on 2nd Oct at the clinic and the Dr found a sac with two embryos and a heartbeat.

Ive got to go back on 16th Oct, to see if everything still ok.

I know how u feel Tryingandimpatient about if to tell people you've used
Donor Sperm. My hairdresser was askin me some questions about the father, but I never said nothing.

juneybean Wed 20-Aug-14 19:33:52

I've been wondering about that, I'm possibly thinking about changing clinics but want to keep my donor so wondering if I can take "him" with me so to speak.

Missiehappy Wed 20-Aug-14 19:31:31

Thanks Juneybean. Care seem to have their own bank but I'm just worried that if they only have their own & don't allow me to use another sperm bank, then there could be a long wait, as looks like there are a shortage of UK donors. I guess if they tell me this at my appointment then I will just pay them for the consultation etc. & book an appointment with another clinic.

Tryingandimpatient Mon 18-Aug-14 17:44:34

My clinic also use Xytex and they're good as you get very extensive profiles to choose your donor from.

juneybean Mon 18-Aug-14 16:23:35

Hi missie I can't help you with regards to Care in Nottingham as I haven't used them. However I am seeking treatment in Newcastle in a fertility unit within an NHS hospital. They use Xytex in America and have a 10 family limit so one donor can only create up to 10 families so you could have 1 or 5 children using the same donor. I think the limit is probably the same in England also. Do Care have their own sperm bank do you know?

At my clinic, as I'm a private patient, there was no waiting list.

Missiehappy Sun 17-Aug-14 22:02:02

Despite trying to find a partner, I am still single & have always wanted a family. Time is moving on! & I have decided to TTC using a sperm donor. I have my first appointment coming up soon in the Care Centre in Nottingham. I chose this clinic as it is near enough to where I live. Obviously, it would make sense to have treatment locally as I am aware that treatment might well not be successful first time & may therefore mean several treatments are necessary. I want to TTC early in 2015. I do not have a sperm donor chosen at this point.
On reading some of the posts here & accounts elsewhere, it seems quite a lot of women in my position travel abroad, especially to Denmark.

I would like to ask a few questions from the group:

1. Has anyone else been to Care in Nottingham? If so, how did you find the clinic & would you recommend it?
2. Is there a reasonable choice when it comes to donors in the UK?
3. Is there a waiting list? (Being sensible, I really should not wait much longer)
4. Has anyone any views on whether it is best to have treatment in the UK or to go abroad? To an extent, money is not a huge issue, as I have thought about doing this for quite a while now & have therefore saved up for it.
5. I plan on having two children at least, quite close together. Does anyone know if it is practical to have more than one pregnancy by the same donor in the UK?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help! I know no one who has gone down this road, so I greatly appreciate it!

juneybean Wed 13-Aug-14 15:50:41

Hi! Congratulations!! Yeah it's frightening isn't it, it's like you'll never stop stressing ever again because once they're here you have a human beings to worry for!!

I'm not doing great in my 2ww worrying about every twinge cried most of yesterday thinking AF was coming. Just wish I knew! Did a test today but it was bfn. Will wait til Friday which will be 14dpo!

Tryingandimpatient Wed 13-Aug-14 15:44:21

Hey juneybean,

How are you doing in your 2 ww?? It's an awful time and symptom spotting is uncontrollable lol!!!

I just got my BFP last week after 2nd ivf cycle (1st failed) using donor sperm. Am really excited but scared in case something happens and it's not there when I go for scan next week!! Seems the worry never ends!!! You worry about not getting BFP then if you do get it you worry about the scan!! What comes next?! Lol

When are you going to start testing??

Trying ��

juneybean Tue 12-Aug-14 17:10:37

Just found this thread after too many months currently in my two week wait for IUI#2 but not feeling positive sad only got one more vial of sperm left after this :/

Tryingandimpatient Sun 27-Jul-14 10:20:57

Hi girls,

How are you all getting on now?? Any BFP's to report??

I am on my second round of ivf (first using a known donor friend now using donor sperm from my clinic).... First attempt failed.

Am now 4 days post EC with only 3 embies growing in their little dish (��) .... The embryologist called this morn and said all 3 still growing well so we are aiming for a 5 day transfer tomorrow (hopefully blastocyst)!

How did people get through the 2ww and stay sane??? Any tips??

How soon did people start testing with home tests??

Any tips for success??

How have people explained their pregnancies to others after using a donor??

Xxx

businessadmin Wed 16-Apr-14 22:15:52

Hi all, I had a scan on 8th Jan, doctor said i was about 6/7weeks and he couldnt find a heartbeat. I went back on 15th Jan and said i was about 8wks and still couldnt find a heartbeat, So i ad to go to the Early pregnancy clinic on Tuesday 21st Jan.

I had to go to my gp first for him to book me into the clinic and he read the letter from the LWC clinic which told him i had the embryo transfer on the 4th Dec and he worked out, im only bout 6 wks .

I went to EPU on 21st Jan, they worked out i was 6 weeks , they still couldnt find a heartbeat, they give me a option to give it another week, so i did, I went bk on 28th Jan . I really wanted this baby aswell, sad .

They said my gestation sac is 34 x 22.7 x 16.4 mm . A echogenic foci probably fetal pole is visible. No FH pulsations detected. CRL 5.5 mm= 6 weeks 1 day . A 10.4 x 9.1 x 14.8 mm bleed site is seen adjacent to gestation sac.

I went for scan on Tues 28th, but they said the sac looks the same size and no fetal heart pulsation.

They booked me into the Womens Health Unit on Fri 31st Jan to end the pregnancy, i was given a tablet on Wednesday called Mifepristone to take and then on Friday i was given a tablet called Misoprostol.

I keep thinking that i end the pregnancy and the baby might be ok and start growing and it be too late.

The doctor took some of the pregnancy tissue and it was sent to get tested at the lab. I had a scan on 7th Feb and they said i had a little bleed still there and to go bk on 19th Feb, the pregnancy test was negative and hormone level dropped, but the scan showed there was a little bleed still there, but it had shrunk and should come out in my next period. sad.

Ive been having achey-ness in my left leg since i was discharged from hospital, it dont know if it after the miscarriage has caused it ?.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I booked an appointment Tues 25th Feb at my LWC clinic, for a consultation, but ave to wait till my next period till i can try again.

I had my consultation on 25th feb. The doctor said i can try again, wen my period comes back again. My period came on 15/16th march . I had a scan on 18th march , & was given progynova to take. I have 2 frozen embryos. I go bk on 28th march .

I had 1 embryo implanted and I have 1 frozen one left. I had to
test on 14th April I was gettin mixed results some tests were saying
not pregnant and some was saying pregnant and the lines were a light colour.
I phoned the IVF LWC clinic and they booked me in for a scan on 8th May.

CynthiaRose Thu 10-Apr-14 00:22:42

Have you tried Fertility Friends? They've got a massive singles board there, it was a bit too active, I couldn't keep up! But plenty of advice on it and people going through the same thing. Also have a look at the Donor Conception Network. They have local groups where people meet up - all different stages, thinking, doing and with kids.

Stephf999 Wed 09-Apr-14 19:14:52

Thank you CynthiaRose. As you have been through this do you know of any support groups or areas I might find like minded woman. I can't seem to find much online.

CynthiaRose Wed 09-Apr-14 18:45:02

Hi Steph. Good luck with your treatment, fingers crossed it works first time!

Stephf999 Tue 08-Apr-14 19:08:33

Hi. I have just joined today and this thread fits me perfectly. I'm 38 and at the start of my first cycle of IUI by DI. I'm single and decided it would be now or never. I have the rest of my life to meet a man but I'm limited when it comes to having children. Would really like to chat to others in a similar boat. I have lots of support from family but talking to other women going through the same decisions would really help.

CynthiaRose Mon 07-Apr-14 19:52:56

Sorry to hear that mrswishywashy, hang in there and good luck for the next go!

mrswishywashy Sun 06-Apr-14 21:46:13

My wife and I just had our first negative after a nerve wracking 2WW. We will hopefully try again on this cycle.

azyazy - After all the tests, consultations and just one IUI I would say we've spent just under £3000. We are counting unmedicated as £2000, medicated as £3000 and IVF as a lot more. Its not cheap at all.

azyazy Mon 31-Mar-14 13:26:48

Hello , I'm glad I found this thread. I'm looking into using a donor to concieve my second child. I'm 22 so I know a lot of people think I should find a partner but with my son I was married with my mortgage sorted and still ended up a single mum after my ex left me when my son was a week old. I ve been looking at the lwc but am still unsure on the costs ive got £3000 saved up but am not sure if that willbe enough.

Kowha1leaf Thu 20-Mar-14 12:37:06

Hi again, I've been absent for a bit but thanks to those above who've addressed my issue. Yep, I agree the unregulated sperm donation route is far from ideal, but as a last resort it pips 'going into town on a Saturday night'. Or does it amount to the same thing, I don't know... mrswishywashy, thanks very much for info re Cryos, I had a look at the website and it all looks above-board, but still a cost. Had a look also at the tadpoles website as mentioned by MinnieMooMoo - I think there are probably genuine donors on there but I don't know how to begin sorting the wheat from the chaff!! As soon as I had signed up - hadn't even posted what I was looking for - I got a chat request from a potential donor with a stupid avatar name (not quite 'Biggus Dickus' but of that ilk, y'know), ignored it and had a look at some of the forum posts, but it was not a promising introduction.

juneybean Sat 15-Mar-14 22:28:15

I know its hard when we all want the same outcome. I ordered three vials which in sterling came to £1200 I was able to get free shipping as I waited until an NHS couple were ordering and added my order to theirs.

pickles177 Sat 15-Mar-14 22:26:29

Hi juneybean - thanks for the quick response - that is so expensive isn't it - I'm paying private I'm afraid as hubby and I don't count under nhs. We're both happy with using donor sperm which is good but the money is rottensad. I'm struggling with the fact that most people don't have to pay any money at all

juneybean Sat 15-Mar-14 22:22:41

Shipping*

juneybean Sat 15-Mar-14 22:22:25

Hi Pickles, its $615 per unwashed vial plus $585 for shipping from xytex.

Are you not able to get it on the NHS as they possibly pay shopping, I'm doing it privately.

pickles177 Sat 15-Mar-14 22:20:03

Hi all - hope I can join in? My hubby had a vasectomy reversal last year but it failed and we are now going down the DIUI route - we have had our first consultation and am awaiting the HSG scan - I'm feeling the pressure of finances though - anyone know the money involved for getting donor sperm from Xytex - my clinic in London uses them. ? Would be most grateful for some support - I have no one I know who is going through anything similar.

mrswishywashy Sat 01-Mar-14 10:30:51

It's very tempting to go down the unregulated route for sperm donor but its not for me. My reasons are the world is a small place now a days and there is a huge risk of half siblings meeting in the future especially as some donors have 50 plus children sadly they see it like a game. Also there is a chance even with a contract the the donor can seek and gain parental responsibility.

That said there is a clinic cyros I think in Denmark that will sell sperm for home insemination so could either go there or order sperm for delivery in the UK. It's a bit of a grey spot legally but I do know people who've done it and being successful. The sperm will be checked and also can either choose anonymous or non anonymous.

AFM another month gone by and not a sign of a positive on a OPK, this month will be having a monitored cycle so hope to insemination in three weeks or so. Good luck everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now