How to stay awake during night feeds part 7 - put in your orders for sleepy dust!

(1000 Posts)

Can't believe we are on part 7! and I'm still here

Welcome one and all smile

MissingMyMarbles Sun 17-Feb-13 22:22:34

MrsN it could be normal. If the smell is the same as normal, it's probably ok. I don't think bf poo smells bad but DH disagrees. Think I'm a weirdogrin I think if you didn't think he was ill if you hadn't seen the poo, then he's probably ok. See the dr if you're worried but it sounds normal to me. See what the next one is like. Sometimes Missmarbles would be really runny; sometimes if they're really dribbly they swallow mucus and it seems a bit odd too. And if they're a bit colicky the colour changes. I spent a lot if time examining --and sniffing--grinblush Missmarbles nappies around the four month mark, but she was ok in herself, ebf and I decided not to worry. Now she's on solids it's vile! I feel like she has been contaminated!! I'd be worried if it was very runny now.
HTH smile

Susieloo Sun 17-Feb-13 22:43:48

1st feed of the night, this doesn't bode well......

Hope the runny poos have stopped mrsn!!

Susieloo Sun 17-Feb-13 23:13:08

Is there a 7 month growth spurt does anyone know? Babyloo is ravenous and just polished off a whole bottle and its only 4.5 hours since his last whole bottle and he had a big tea too.

ChilliBanana Mon 18-Feb-13 00:17:41

Fed at 11 but needed settling at 9.30, 10, 10.30, 11.30 and he's decided he needs feeding now sad So looking forward to the rest of the night <major sarcasm emoticon>

larlemucker Mon 18-Feb-13 01:23:06

Early waking here, thought it was just a filled nappy but he is on the second boob now!
MrsN hope pop back to normal now.
Anyone here had an epidural during labour? Baby larle is 7.5 weeks and I'm still suffering from numbness in my right leg (was very numb during labour) anyone else get this?

jemima86 Mon 18-Feb-13 02:32:07

Well I thought we had managed to bring bed time forward an hour tonight after going down at 12 with a good transfer, only to be woken at 1 tried settling but nope, was up at 1.30 and still up although bottle now finished and DD is now asleep on me, yet to attempt transfer!

Mrsn forgot to say on my previous post, I took DD to docs last week as thought she had diarrhoea, poo was like water. But was told it was normal for BF babies and we've gone from mixed feeding to mainly breast, have reduced top ups to 1 formula a day. However if you're worried then do go to doctors.

BrainGoneAwol Mon 18-Feb-13 03:13:12

jemima have you tried doing stretches with dd? Babybrain used to get awful wind and sometimes I still do them if he's uncomfortable. I put a description of what we do with him back on the last thread. I'll see if I can hunt it out when I'm not using my tiny phone screen during the day and I'm not bleary eyed

susie and chilli hope the feeds settle down.

Put babybrain to bed at 7 and he slept til 9.30pm. Asked dp to settle him as it was early for a feed andnext wake was at 2.15am. Found a note on my notepad by dp (which I record times on so I know when last feed/change etc was) saying "screaming. 8x transfers". I also had a text saying "help, don't know what to do!" The monitor was on silent and I slept through it all blush

Part of me feels really guilty, part is sort of glad dp has experienced some of what I have to do. blush Is that awful?!

Anyway, babybrain woke me with general noise and chatting. He's got this horrible cold/cough that dp has (and I also now have) so he must feel rotten sad. He's also got a gouge across his cheek where he's scratched himself. Think he might have earache sad. That or his top teeth are starting to come shock.

Going to attempt transfer not feeling optimistic

funchum8am Mon 18-Feb-13 04:53:33

brain I would think it is good for dp to know what it's like! I hope he is appreciative now.

Babyfunch waking every half hour here but fine once Ewan goes on. Wish Ewan had an always on setting! Just put white noise on my phone earlier and got a full hour before this feed. Hoping that will see us right til a sensible wakeup time after feed.

MissingMyMarbles Mon 18-Feb-13 05:05:55

Just done fifth feedsad
Had thought we were getting somewhere. Isn't settling with head stroke. Proper feeding each time. Think next set if teeth on way all ready....

larlemucker Mon 18-Feb-13 06:09:46

Second feed here, really surprised he stayed asleep this long, put him down about 3. Was having a massive, screaming crying fit at half 2. He went really high pitched which I've read can mean he is ill/in pain but he is acting normal and feeding normal.
However just changed nappy and it has green flecks in it so looks like he has colic hmm poor baba.
I think it's good that Dp knows what you do each night, baby larle is still in with us so Dh has an idea but he gets to go back to sleep while I'm feeding!!

BrainGoneAwol Mon 18-Feb-13 06:15:01

Second wake for me. Weirdly babybrain wasn't bothered about food when I first sat down with him. I wonder if he would have gone longer without, though he was starting to cry.
Overall, a pretty good night. Now let's see if I can get another hour somehow...

ChilliBanana Mon 18-Feb-13 06:40:15

Horrible night, co slept since 4 as too tired to get up, now on hourly feeds. He keeps crying in his sleep as well, I wonder if his teeth are hurting sad

TheDarkSideOfTheSpoon Mon 18-Feb-13 06:41:16

Pretty good night here, bed at 7, feed at 1 and now awake since 5.45. Tried feeding back to sleep but then she did a massive poo so had to change her and now she's wide awake but I can't face getting up just yet.

Starting to get quite annoyed with DH's lack of help, I know he does a lot with dd1 but sometimes I'd like to be able to do whatever he's doing with her and let him have dd2 for a change. Next weekend im going to try sending him out for a couple of hours with them both so I can catch up in sleep. Unlikely that it'll work though.

Oh dear, a busy thread last night? sad
Last night was an improvement from the previous three nights' half-hourly wakings hmm and we woke at 12, 3:20 (briefly), 4:20 and now up since 5:30. Unfortunately grizzly, but the poor thing was prescribed a cream for his eczema which actually made it worse, and when I looked up the side effects, it said the lotion can cause a burning sensation. sad No wonder poor Kid is trying to annihilate the skin on his head. Have washed it off and put on a moisturiser to soothe, which seems to have helped.
mrsn hope the poo situation resolves itself!
larle and brain hmm about DPs... Amazing how many of them seem to think that mums were born with an inbuilt ability to know what to do in the middle of the night that can't possibly be learned!!

MrsNPattz Mon 18-Feb-13 08:35:23

Little man slept through again smile I woke at 6 for the loo then went back to sleep until 7:30. No more poops but will keep an eye today - thanks Marbles and others! Yea his have always been stinky, maybe it's my milk grin

Mixed bag of nights again! Hope those we haven't seen for a while are doing ok!

Susieloo Mon 18-Feb-13 14:30:12

Hello everyone.

We are having a lazy afternoon watching oceans 12 while dp whose day off it is has a little sleep because he vommed spectacularly about two hours ago after reintroducing himself to red wine last night after a 7 year hiatus-turns out it still doesn't agree with him grin. Hoping he will feel better later so we can eat a roast I've for ready to bung in the oven and watch skyfall. We had a good night after our first wake up at half ten ish he stirred a couple of times but went back to sleep with his sound machine on and then awake about 7. Hoping for a repeat tonight because I'm back in work on a kit morning, mil is taking babyloo for his first bus ride!!

Hope everyone is having a good day, see you all tonight.

larlemucker Mon 18-Feb-13 14:59:56

We've been for our weigh in this morn 11lb 8oz!! (Baby larle is 7.5 weeks)
Over the next couple of weeks I'm hoping we can reduce the formula so that we can go back to ebf. Hence all the pumping to increase supply and so Dh can still give him a bottle.
susie sounds like your having a nice day, really sunny here so we've been for a nice walk with the dog and now having a snuggle on the sofa!!
Fingers crossed for good nights again

susie DH just bought me Skyfall too. Hoping for a smooth bedtime so we can watch it. Have been out at a cooking class which was my anniversary present, so much fun and actually really really useful too. Apparently Kid has been attempting to eat everything in sight hmm either a growth spurt (again????) or teeth? Has already gone from 25th centile to approx 80th for length!
larle congrats on weight! Happy baby...

EeyoresGloomyPlace Mon 18-Feb-13 19:00:57

Evening, clearly I get bored easily as another NC for me today.

Ah we'll done baby larle smile

goat I am still so desperate to see Skyfall since missing the newbies screening! I think its on Sky box office this week if I can work out how to order it. How is poor Kid's head now?

Hope your DH is feeling better susie and you got your roast dinner. We had a really tasty leg of lamb yesterday so tonight is leftovers night.

Hooray for another full night mrsn grin

Bedtime feed now, I feel wiped out today I think the few early mornings and a really active day out today have done me in, really hoping for a good night tonight. DH still being a grumpy arse but maybe I'm just being touchy because I'm tired, he probably thinks its me who's the grump.

Sleepy dust all round.
Heff xx

funchum8am Mon 18-Feb-13 20:47:13

goat shock. to dodgy eczema cream!
heff you are allowed to be grumpy if DH isn't helpful in the precise way you want him to be wink.

babyfunch is now in a proper big girl cot for the first time shock. and also went to sleep without the usual few minutes of crying, we put the nature sounds and light show on simultaneously and da-dah, out a few minutes later with no tears. Hopefully it will work for night wakings too....

funchum8am Mon 18-Feb-13 20:51:58

susie lol at your DH's optimism that he might have magically developed a new ability to drink red wine over the years...hope he feels better soon!
larle I am enjoying my last week of giving babyfunch only one bottle of formula per day, as back to work next week means at least 2 feeds per day, plus all night feeds will be bottles, and most of them formula (i wanted to try and express a huge stash of ebm but have not done anywhere near enough, though she can have the 5oz or so I will express daily at work.) sad Best of luck getting your supply back up! Fennel tea helped me a bit a while back.

MrsNPattz Mon 18-Feb-13 21:02:11

Evening! Ladies who have had wisdom teeth out - have you had any side effects after? Since I have had it done I have been completely wiped out with exhaustion, making me quite irritable. And I feel a bit spaced out. I'm wondering if it's the procedure, or something else and it's just a coincidence I have felt like this since then. Bed time now!

Hope we all have good nights tonight!

I can see a theme developing Heff... My DH takes both of mine one morning on the weekend so that I can get a lie in, does babylump take a bottle?

Goat what have you been prescribed? My GP gave us Cetraben cream and bath emollient plus 50:50 emollient for their head/hair which is only for after bath time. She also gave me Aveeno products on prescription when dd1's eczema was really bad which was brilliant at getting moisture back into the skin. She told me to apply every hour when bad then reduce to several times a day. She also said she would only prescribe steroid cream as a last resort and to give the emollients a while to work. I now only cream them once a day after their bath.

Larle good news re weight gain, your supply will increase the more you feed/express. When dd1 was 20 months old she caught gastric flu and didn't eat anything for a week. She survived purely on breastmilk. We went from 1 feed a day at bedtime to every 1-2 hours and my supply increased to match her demand.

Sounds like a lovely relaxing day Susie, enjoy Skyfall.

Great sleeping from littleman MrsN, must be lovely to recharge those sleep batteries.

Sorry to hear of bad nights Brain and Chilli

Jemima two things I found helped get mine in a good sleep pattern was to set a bedtime, half an hour before bath and massage, then feed in darkened room with little noise. After that if they wake do not bring them out of darkened room until morning. I also found getting out in the day time and increasing sunlight exposure helped regulate their body clocks. When it is time to get up bring them into lighter and noisier living areas even if they are still asleep so they can begin to know it is time to be awake.

<Waves to marbles, funch and anyone I have missed>

Busy day today, out all morning at a group then running errands followed by biscuit decorating with dd1 this afternoon. Both kids knackered so I am hoping for some good sleeping tonight to make up for the hourly waking from 4 last night.

BrainGoneAwol Tue 19-Feb-13 01:13:32

funch that's hard with work and things, do you feel ok about it? Obviously difficult with the ebm though sad

Was too asleep to post anything last waking. Poor babybrain is not in a good way sad. He went to bed at 8, woke at 11 and now again at 12.45 sobbing his little eyes out. Have just given him calpol (also the only thing that worked at bedtime).

Bit confused really. He's acting as if it's teeth - ear/hair pulling, rubbing face - but his second tooth looks to be through enough not to still be hurting. Hope it's not another on its way already really couldn't cope with that without a break first!
He does have a cough and cold so I am wondering if he has an ear infection. But no temperature... Silly Dr is always engaged so couldn't get an appointment yesterday. I think I might just camp in their waiting room tomorrow if the same thing happens. hmm

larlemucker Tue 19-Feb-13 02:11:45

Second feed here, totally knackered tonight and have to be up early tomorrow for Pilates. Leaving baby larle with MIL for first time, really don't want to. Kinda hoping she does something wrong (not dangerous, not hoping my Ds gets hurt) so I have an excuse not to leave him there again. Does that sound awful? On Sunday he started crying while she was holding him, he was tired, he does like to suck his fingers so she was trying to shove them in his mouth saying "here have your fist". How the hell I didn't rub across the room and snatch him back I don't know.
Maybe I'm being over sensitive as we don't always agree on how she looks after her dog. Not that we're experts but for example we've told her onions are poisonous for dogs, she gives him the left over chilli she's had for tea and then wonders why he has an upset stomach!
Sorry for the me,me,me rant.
Hope you are all getting some sleep, seems quiet out there or is it just early?
Whoever asked about reusable nappies, we've just got our new ones from hip hip baby. Look fab, will let you know what they are like when I've had chance to wash them!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.