Which completely inoffensive names do you absolutely hate for no justifiable reason?

(259 Posts)
MaryAstor Mon 12-Nov-12 21:33:00

I will start.

Francis.

Loathe it. Couldn't say why really. There are no bad connotations - it's neither 'chav' nor 'toff'. It's not made-up or too-trendy or old-fashioned. I couldn't say that the sound of it is awful. It doesn't remind me someone who bullied me at school. It's not even boring. I just fucking hate that name. Whenever I am introduced to a new baby called Francis, my reaction is always: "But why? For pity's sake, why? Out of all the possible names available, you chose Francis? You have some seriously terrible taste there, people." "Gosh, how lovely."

Same goes for Christopher. And Jenny.

Perfectly inoffensive names. Could give no good reason for my antipathy whatsoever.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 12-Nov-12 21:39:45

Katie
Ruby
Sarah
Emma
Poppy (actually I met a horrid little girl with this name and she put me off for life)
Gemma/Jemma

Kyle
Colin (on a child now,it's a name of it's time)
Duncan

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 12-Nov-12 21:40:50

Also...people are going to get soooo shirty about this thread OP lol! ;)

BobblyGussets Mon 12-Nov-12 21:44:48

Richard. But I hate it for lots of reasons: it is a patriarchy name, white, Mc, tory, unimaginative....

Also the Bobby-Rays, Casey-leighs, Lexie-Maes, because they are over long and made-up.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 12-Nov-12 21:46:25

You hate it because it is white? Oookay then :s

MaryAstor Mon 12-Nov-12 21:47:48

Noooo! There are too many reasons going on here! No justifiable reason, I said!

MaryAstor Mon 12-Nov-12 21:49:14

BobblyGussets - funny, I don't think of Richard that way at all. But I know lots of men of colour called Richard, so that would probably explain it.

FriggFRIGG Mon 12-Nov-12 21:50:08

Errr,this thread will not end well....just saying.

MaryAstor Mon 12-Nov-12 21:51:02

Alisvolatpropiis - No reason for folk to get shirty if everyone plays by the rules! Mean reasons not permissible. Irrational and unjustifiable hatreds only.

Dinosaurhunter Mon 12-Nov-12 21:52:08

Alfie
Archie
Ronnie
Billy
Harley

Anonymumous Mon 12-Nov-12 21:53:13

James gets on my nerves. It's so dull. "Oh what have you called your beautiful new baby boy." "James." "Oh, right. That's...er... imaginative must have taken ages to come up with interesting just like every other baby boy I've come across nice."

And Mia. Mia makes me think of fleas. I once read a book as a child where the girl called Mia had fleas and gave them to everyone else. It was a fiction book - there is no reason to suppose that every girl called Mia will have fleas. I would not assume that every boy called Adolf was a stark-staring-bonkers fascist megalomaniac who wants to rule the world. But I cannot get over the flea thing with Mia.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 12-Nov-12 21:53:13

Tbf I should probably just come out and say,that with the exception of Colin (same reason as above), all the names I listed have belonged to people I have known and not liked.

Sorry OP,I can't play this game at all well. :s

XBenedict Mon 12-Nov-12 21:54:37

Becky - hate it. Love Rebecca, think it's beautiful, but Becky - yuk!

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Mon 12-Nov-12 21:54:46

I came on to check if DS's name has been mentioned yet. If the thread is still around, I may check later

<glares>

<taps fingers>

RobinSparkles United States Mon 12-Nov-12 21:55:00

But you always have a reason for hating a name, though. Even if you don't like a name because it sounds ugly - that's still a reason!

Mintyy Mon 12-Nov-12 21:55:49

Alice. It gives me the rage.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 12-Nov-12 21:58:05

Lol Pelvic! Depending on how many people comment I fully anticipate my name,my OH's name,my pets names and the names I like for future children to crop up.

ATourchOfInsanity Mon 12-Nov-12 21:58:35

MIA - Missing In Action - why would you name your DD that? AWOL may be next...
Ethan
Leanne
Vince

MaryAstor Mon 12-Nov-12 21:59:06

Robin Sparkles. No - I have no reason for hating the name Francis. None whatsoever. But hate it I do.

marriedinwhite Mon 12-Nov-12 21:59:17

Well eff you Mintyy grin

I once knew a woman with a Ruby, Amber and Jade. Now that was daft!

marriedinwhite Mon 12-Nov-12 22:00:55

I'm not keen on Midnight, Cookie or McTab either - but I love them nevertheless. And they are my best furry babes.

Anonymumous Mon 12-Nov-12 22:00:56

Insanity, I never thought of that! Great, now I have a more justifiable reason for rejecting Mia than merely citing some long-forgotten book containing yucky stories about fleas. Hooray!

MaryAstor Mon 12-Nov-12 22:01:23

Oh yes, Ethan. I hate that name for no good reason too.

IWipeArses Mon 12-Nov-12 22:03:34

Screw you Mintyy! grin

Lauren. Yuck.

IWipeArses Mon 12-Nov-12 22:04:28

Aaron. Either pronunciation. Blah.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now