Or is my neighbour being ridiculous?!

(191 Posts)
Lilianna123 Thu 14-Jul-16 23:28:01

Always got on really well with our neighbours. They are very different to us but this has never been an issue. Have keys to eachothers houses for when we are away etc.

Woke up this morning to find a note through the letterbox from them, they are saying that our cat 'torments' and 'teases' their dog, by sitting our side of the fence and looking into their garden. They have also accused our cat of eating their hazelnuts off their trees. Now this could be our cat, but could more than likely be the squirrels we tend to have visit?!

Anyway, they are requesting we now try to keep our cat as an indoor cat, as it's not 'fair' on their dog hmm and want us to replace their hazlenut trees next year. Am I being a unreasonable or are they just being completely bonkers?!

Gardenbirds123 Thu 14-Jul-16 23:30:12

YANBU

Also why would eating fallen nuts require all the trees to be completely replaced?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 14-Jul-16 23:31:09

That's very funny.

whois Thu 14-Jul-16 23:31:15

They are fucking bonkers. Your CAT is stealing their hazelnuts....? Nowt as queer as folk!

Lilianna123 Thu 14-Jul-16 23:31:34

They say that our cat eats them everytime the nuts fall off the tree and they seem to think the decent thing for us to do, would be to add to their collection of hazelnut trees. Very bizarre.

ivykaty44 Thu 14-Jul-16 23:35:59

But if you keep you cat inside it won't eat the nuts...? So you would. Have to replace the tree

Lilianna123 Thu 14-Jul-16 23:37:03

I suspect they know the squirrels are taking their nuts and looking for someone to blame grin they are such busy bodies!!

BreconBeBuggered Thu 14-Jul-16 23:51:59

I think it's a cat conspiracy. My neighbour's cat does the same thing to our dog, sitting the other side of the hedge and winding him up. We had to chop our hazelnut tree down in the end as someone kept throwing the nuts around, and it was never proved that it wasn't the cat.

TheUnsullied Thu 14-Jul-16 23:54:05

I think someone's a few nuts short of a roast.

becciandbump Thu 14-Jul-16 23:55:44

I would remind them that keeping cats indoors is not natural and if their dog is scared of a cat staring at it then the dog needs to man up. As for the nuts if they are on the ground then what's the problem?

thepothasboiledover Fri 15-Jul-16 00:00:45

I'd write back and say:
Dear X,
It appears that you haven't noticed the squirrels which frequent the area. They like nuts. It also appears to have escaped your attention that you are NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL SHIT. Ask the squirrels to replace the trees, and have a word with my cat while they're at it grin

lalalalyra Fri 15-Jul-16 00:01:08

Are they relatively new? Our neighbours recently moved and they once complained to the council noise people that our cat was making their dog bark excessively.

PovertyPain Fri 15-Jul-16 00:01:36

Ask him to keep his dog indoors as he's upsetting your cats peaceful enjoyment of his garden.

Or start disgusting your cat.

PovertyPain Fri 15-Jul-16 00:02:24

Disguising even.

Bogeyface Fri 15-Jul-16 00:10:05

Some people have nothing to do with their time.

Ignore their note and if they mention it again say "Oh my God! You were SERIOUS??!"

Notcontent Fri 15-Jul-16 00:17:38

Ok - this is either a joke thread or your neighbours are completely mad...

Btw, while I have met dogs that will eat anything, I have never yet met a cat that eats nuts!

pictish Fri 15-Jul-16 00:25:40

Omg I am laughing out loud for real!
Just shock and grin really. Is this a wind up? Please say it isn't.

I haven't got any advice as to how to respond to that!

e1y1 Fri 15-Jul-16 00:25:40

Send a note back, telling them that you have had a quiet word with the cat and that he say's he is very sorry, and to apologise, he wants to invite the dog over to dinner.

Also tell them that you have sent a letter to the squirrel association, and they have replied saying the the squirrels are holding a fun day to raise money for a replacement hazelnut tree, and they are accepting donations for the tombola.

rosiecam Fri 15-Jul-16 00:25:54

Set up a camera focused on the nut tree. Find the real culprits. Suggest to your neighbours that they charge the squirrels rent/ask the squirrels to pay for a new tree. They sound mad enough to do it, and you will have their interview with the squirrels on video wink

ItWentInMyEye Fri 15-Jul-16 00:27:45

I've had many cats, and not one that ate nuts hmm also, tell them they could always have a 'house dog' grin ain't nobody wants a litter tray!

Papergirl1968 Fri 15-Jul-16 00:28:12

Our neighbour complained our cat sitting on a windowsill in our house was making her dogs bark. Think she was barking herself...she got short shrift.

pictish Fri 15-Jul-16 00:33:57

Does the dog bark and/or whine at your cat? Or get agitated? That'll be why they're putting the note through - because the dog's annoying them by getting wound up by your cat.
Not your problem though.

pictish Fri 15-Jul-16 00:34:36

As for the hazelnut trees...just ignore that part entirely. They are being absurd.

DeloresDeSyn Fri 15-Jul-16 00:37:51

Ooo! Our neighbours cat does this, it drives the dog potty! I didn't know I could complain

<heads off to pen passive aggressive missive>

trafalgargal Fri 15-Jul-16 00:37:52

Brilliant

Are they elderly, could this be Alzheimer's ?

I'd do nothing and suggest if they have any further concerns to talk to the appropriate authorities (hazelnut protection league perhaps)

Utterly nuts

(But get your keys back)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now