To be upset by this incident in Sainsburys?

(205 Posts)
FlobberWobber Wed 18-Sep-13 15:25:39

I've just been into Sainsburys with DS (2) who I always put into a trolley seat as it's quicker than him walking. Was in a hurry as didn't want to be late for school run and all the checkouts were busy. I only had 6 small things so I transferred them into a basket with Ds still trolley and went to the basket only aisle which was free. The cashier told me I was cheating, I said I had a basket, she said I should go and use one of the other aisles, I said there were none free and I did have a basket.

She huffed and told me I'd have to move DS out the aisle, which was really wide as the till next to it was closed and no one wax waiting in ours. I moved him to the end of the aisle and came back to my basket. She then pointed out her aisle was only for little bits, I said my basket had 6 small items. I felt quite humiliated by this
point, and annoyed especially
as I spend about £150 a week there!

pianodoodle Wed 18-Sep-13 15:48:47

I use a big trolley for DD rather than get the buggy out if it's only a few things but the quickest way is to go through the self service checkout smile

Saves having a basket and a trolley!

grin buss

Fourkisses Wed 18-Sep-13 15:50:45

YANBU! I had similar in Asda when I was heavily pg & had my toddler (who often bolted) in a trolley. I had 3 items & the woman refused to serve me.
I actually wrote in to complain & they said they'd retrain their staff.

kim147 Wed 18-Sep-13 15:53:23

I used to put a basket in the trolley when DS was in the trolley.

Solved that problem and made getting it out a lot easier.

I would've taken ds out of the trolley, carried him on my hip to her till and plonked the basket down, leaving the trolley behind. Thus reacting to jobsworths in the best possible way: apply their rules to the letter with no thought to practicality or common sense.

But that's just me grin

MrsMook Wed 18-Sep-13 15:55:15

YANBU. The purpose is so that people with fewer items can go through tills without getting jammed in with big trolley-fulls. If it's obvious that only a few items are being purchased and that the trolley is for another purpose e.g. child or someone struggling to walk/ carry basket then I see no problem unless it's an obstruction.

Tailtwister Wed 18-Sep-13 15:58:21

YANBU. Surely the point of basket only isles is that the amount of shopping should fit in the basket, therefore allowing a faster turnover of customers? I don't see why it matters that OP had a trolly, as long as it wasn't filled with shopping. It should have been obvious to the cashier why OP had the trolley. If there was no obstruction then I don't understand her objection.

MrsGSR Wed 18-Sep-13 15:58:45

YANBU, I worked in tills for a while and would let people through with trolleys if they only had a few items. When my late mum was terminally ill she couldn't walk more than a few metres without support, she'd put a bakery in trolley and lean on the trolley and no one ever said anything.

MrsGSR Wed 18-Sep-13 16:02:24

*a basket, not a bakery. Probably wouldn't be able to take a bakery through the basket only till!

BrokenSunglasses Wed 18-Sep-13 16:07:46

YABU.

If you wanted to use the basket aisle, you should have taken your child out of the trolley and ditched it.

ABaconAndOnionTart Wed 18-Sep-13 16:10:20

Yanbu I often use a trolley for few items, bad back, it should be 10 or less items, the trolley is irrelevant.

justanuthermanicmumsday Wed 18-Sep-13 16:17:09

YANBU she was being pedantic. Basket aisle is empty she even went and got a basket moved trolley aside yet the lady is having a go. It's not an exam it's not cheating! Yes rules should be followed but common sense is missing in modern society in many areas this is one of them. If it were busy it would be acceptable to say no, but not so what's the blimin problem.

I usually take the trolley go through self service, but in this supermarket the aisles are big enough for me to do that, I just roll trolley to the end so it's out the way. Interestingly in self service it doesn't say baskets only. Maybe use the end till at self service instead?

Sometimes I roll my buggy through basket only tills. Funny they don't mind me having a buggy and struggling to push with one hand and hold basket with another. I take it buggies aren't an obstruction.? I'm in a bad mood today so I'm going on a bit lol

Customer is meant to be king. I'd say this was an example of stroppy service. what I'd do for the customer service you get in the USA, it's amazing we are treated like dirt in the uk in comparison.

Catsize Wed 18-Sep-13 16:19:20

Not unreasonable of you at all. I would have been cross too. Similar thing in Ikea yesterday. I waited alone at he counter in the restaurant, a woman walked up and was served four meals, I didn't say anything, just waited. Queue built up, I was told I was queuing the wrong way by the woman who had ignored me, and instead of arguing, I moved. Was a bit grumbly though. Just wanted a bowl of pasta for grizzly toddler. Nice man in the queue let me go ahead of him even though I already was technically. Perhaps we need an assertiveness course OP!

oscarwilde Wed 18-Sep-13 16:19:26

So if you'd had a basket and a buggy that would have been fine? Given that there was no obstruction probably because there were lots of people who refuse to use self-service I think YANBU. What a total jobsworth.

oscarwilde Wed 18-Sep-13 16:20:04

You are being bonkers for letting it upset you though. grin

justanuthermanicmumsday Wed 18-Sep-13 16:20:35

And do what with the child brokensunglasses . If a small child that can't be done. And if a toddler that child may wonder off and cause more delays at the till. I find society is very anti children that's where the problem is. Anti kids in supermarket, anti kids on public transport. They shouldn't be seen or heard until they are older.

RacheyMo2 Wed 18-Sep-13 16:24:51

YANBU
I work at a supermarket on checkouts and you get lots of people who have children in trolleys but only have a few items in the trolley. Sounds like the cashier was being unreasonable here, not you! C

Barbeasty Wed 18-Sep-13 16:29:18

I had this a few weeks ago. 7 month old and 3 year old in a trolley with 3 items.

When the cashier told me it was for baskets only I, totally straight faced, said yes, I tried that but couldn't get both children in a basket so had to use a trolley.

She looked confused and drew breath to say something, but the other customers started to say how right I was and how wonderful the children were.

What about people who don't bother with a basket because they're just getting one thing? Should they be banned from that till too?

JamieandtheMagicTorch Wed 18-Sep-13 16:31:42

She was being very petty. You were keeping your child safe

Osmiornica Wed 18-Sep-13 16:31:51

YANBU.

So if it really is baskets only would you be refused if you turned up with a couple of items in your hand but no basket? Or is that a step too far for even them.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Wed 18-Sep-13 16:33:03

I wouldn't go there again and I'd write telling them why. I bear grudges.

LazyMonkeyButler Wed 18-Sep-13 16:33:53

YANBU. At all. The trolley contained nothing but your DS. The shopping was in a basket! Bloody hell, some people are grumpy sods just for the sake of it!

JamieandtheMagicTorch Wed 18-Sep-13 16:34:40

Kim

Good solution

JamieandtheMagicTorch Wed 18-Sep-13 16:35:31

God knows how jobsworth would cope with someone in a wheelchair down her aisle

Tortington Wed 18-Sep-13 16:36:57

i would complain that the policy is not child friendly, most places say 10 items or less - not baskets only, who can pick up a few small things whilst balancing a child

that would be my argument.

and tell them to make it clear to the emplopyees

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now