to be pissed off with these parents who BUY under age kids booze for parties?

(132 Posts)
EliotNess Sun 30-Jun-13 10:23:56

who the fuck are they? S1 goes to a party, he is 14 almost 15. Who buys annabel frigging 48 cans of lager?
I don't feed my kid lager. It is against the law to buy alcohol for under 16s and it is also bloody irresponsible.

the whole french watered down wine mantra has been proven to be a hug middle class fallacy and this condoning of drinking yet ranting about Booze britain is starting to get on me tits

EliotNess Sun 30-Jun-13 10:24:33

plus part of being a teen is TRYING to get booze yourself. Not having given it to you.

This is far worse than parents buying stuff for kids at proms wink

48 cans!!!!
I have to say I wouldn't mind giving my child a little amount of alcohol at that stage, but with me, not at a party.
And agree with you, the evidence does not exist that children who try alcohol with their parents grow up with a healthier relationahip with it.

Who is Annabel?

I don't think a couple of cans of lager at that age is a problem. 48 is a bit excessive though.

Although I did a middle class version with my 6yo yesterday. I gave him a tiny amount of coca cola hoping he'd hate it. Only time he's ever had fizzy drinks in the past he spat it out. He loved it sad

EliotNess Sun 30-Jun-13 10:27:28

plus half the adults who give kids booze dont drink responsibly themselves.
ANy effort to transport french cafe culture is doomed, it just doenst translate to our drinking style

EliotNess Sun 30-Jun-13 10:28:03

you cant provide alcohol for OTHER PEOPLES kids imo.

if he were 16 - 18 fair dos. he is FOURTEEN

MoominsYonisAreScary Sun 30-Jun-13 10:29:17

Or the mother who buys weed and beer for them and lets them have it in her summer house as it stops get son going out and getting into trouble, twat!

I wouldn't have a problem buying mine a couple of cans for a party from the age of 16 but wouldn't buy it for anyone else's dc

OP I suspect you're going to be told YABU but I completely agree with you.

EliotNess Sun 30-Jun-13 10:30:14

i think 16 has to be the age - otherwise, fuck it - give it at primary school.

I think without warning other parents it is bloody irresponsible.

EliotNess Sun 30-Jun-13 10:30:59

part of the test of adolescence, surely is wearing a fake moustache and asking for " 4 cans of your finest lager" in a deep voice at Oddbins grin

EliotNess Sun 30-Jun-13 10:31:13

moomin hmm

That really backfires when you're a girl

EliotNess Sun 30-Jun-13 10:33:34

lol

meditrina Sun 30-Jun-13 10:35:03

Yup, too much too young.

A couple of cans for an over 16 might be ok.

My eldest is mid-teen and we're starting to think about permitting alcohol. So far it's only been toasts at weddings and the odd sip from our glasses (doesn't like the taste much, which helps - except limoncello oops).

I'd also worry about what would go on at a young teen party with that much booze available. I'm also teaching recovery position and drilling that, no matter how much trouble you think you might get into, the need to call for adult help or an ambulance if someone passes out.

Bowlersarm Sun 30-Jun-13 10:36:32

I wouldn't dare say YABU OP. You clearly have strong views on the subject!!

Who's Annabel?

EliotNess Sun 30-Jun-13 10:37:03

lol Sorry bowler .

Annabel was hte hostess

Coconutty Sun 30-Jun-13 10:38:28

DS16 is allowed a couple of cans for a party. Did your S drink some out of interest?

The parent who gave their son a bottle of gin to take to a party was a dick. The kids were 15 at the time. DS did try it.

wonderingsoul Sun 30-Jun-13 10:38:33

i remeber being 14/15 hanging out side theasurs getting people to buy as white lighting.. my friend used to flash em for it...

classy right.. even stranger my parents where strict i had to be in at 6, even on a weekend. still did it though whilst playing the sober game on the walk home.

iv been asked to buy fags for youngsters.. did i heck.. i went in and told the shop keeper what they where after lol.

i dont get why adults do it.

Greenkit Sun 30-Jun-13 10:39:12

Thread hijack

Interesting most are saying from the age of 16yrs is ok. DD16 goes to her friends house and her friends parents allow them to drink. Its like a hang out for all the girls and they sleep over on a friday most weeks.

I have said to DD i am unhappy with her drinking, but have explained about volumes and how being quite small it will take less for her to get drunk than others and to be sensible. Short of banning her from ever staying at her mates houses, im not sure what else can be done....

Do you think im doing the right thing??

Floppityflop Sun 30-Jun-13 10:39:28

I am just imagining the lovely teenaged Annabel and her 48 cans of Special Brew...

If I could do a rolling laugh animation I would.

EliotNess Sun 30-Jun-13 10:39:56

i believe * raises eyebrow* it was fosters
grin

EliotNess Sun 30-Jun-13 10:40:43

greeny its bloody hard, isnt it.
THe additional thing is that s1 is the youngest in his year so everyone else is turning 16

Plus he is PFB - i KNOW we will be cooler for the next kids

cazboldy Sun 30-Jun-13 10:40:48

i agree with you.

my ds1 has just left school, and has been to various parties etc, ALL with alcohol provided.

now i know there would be some smuggled in anyway, but to freely provide it, to the point where photo's are placed on facebook of trollies full of booze ......

it's giving them the wrong message!

and because they are not used to it, they down as much as they can and feel ill very quickly.

the parents are braver then me! I wouldn't want a load of drunk teenagers in my house!

Helpyourself Sun 30-Jun-13 10:41:12

I wish you were my dcs friends' parents!
I've posted about it before; DD14 had a party and nearly 50 drunk and carrying booze teenagers turned up! The vast majority were under 16 and all but a handful arrived and left without an adult. I let them all in and confiscated what I could get my hands on.
I am now notorious! I decided to accept the consequences of having drunk teenagers under my roof rather than turfing them out into the snow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now