Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Upset by friends facebook status - I know I probably am but find it genuienely distressing!

(257 Posts)
RoseGarden123 Sun 03-Mar-13 20:49:30

Saw friends facebook status about leaving her 6 week old DS to CIO to get him onto a healthy routine. this baby was born 4 weeks early. I text her to see if everything was ok. When she said she couldn't deal with doing the CIO but thought it was the best thing to establish a routine early ,I sent her a link to some info which I said had found really helpful in the early days. I'll admit the link was to some unconditional/ AP type parenting approach, her response was she didn't go in for the 'hippy' stuff and she wanted to make sure that her DS knew who was boss from day one and wasn't going to 'win' and after 3 hours he had gone to sleep.
I am not upset at all about her rejecting the info link, I sent it very tactfully and everyone chooses their own path in parenting but seriously CIO with a prem 6 week old, am I completely off the mark when I think this is very upsetting and worrying?!

Midori1999 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:04:29

Saving, even advocates of CIO/CC do not advocate it for babies so young.

YouTheCat Sun 03-Mar-13 21:05:36

Yes, Zavi hmm . I don't subscribe to any of these so-called parenting methods. You do what is right for your baby and your family. 3 hours of crying isn't right for any baby though.

WellSlapMyThighAndCallMeNancy Sun 03-Mar-13 21:06:31

A friend of mine put a photo up of her sleeping 4 week old baby with the statement that she'd just "self settled, ie cried herself to sleep. Welcome to mummy day care darling!"

Made me feel sick.

Goldenbear Sun 03-Mar-13 21:07:05

She sounds thick. DP had a friend who along with his wife used the same method. We were invited to dinner when the baby was about 4 weeks old and the baby was taken to her cot because it was, 'bedtime' and DP's friend told his wife, 'to close the door as we don't want to hear her crying.' - he was a complete wanker anyway but this ensured we never saw him again!

ChairmanWow Sun 03-Mar-13 21:09:28

Would it not have been better to send her information relating to CIO which shows that it is unsuitable for young babies? She doesn't sound like an unconditional parenting kind of person so was never going to take it on board. At least getting her some sensible advice on CIO or controlled crying might get through to her.

Dahlialover Sun 03-Mar-13 21:10:16

On the positive side, I know someone, told not to feed her baby at night from the word go (in 1960s) and did so as she did not know any better. Baby is now a healthy mother of three nearly adult children.

No what I would do though. It would be interesting to see what happens................. or not sad

OxfordBags Sun 03-Mar-13 21:10:48

You shouldn't let an adult cry for 3 hours, never mind such a tiny baby. And if he was born at 36 weeks, then at 6 weeks old, he is technically actually only 2 weeks old, IYSWIM.

I hate that 'show them who's boss' attitude, it is not just cruel, it's plain thick and ignorant. Honestly, I do sometimes wonder if some people have children just to have someone to wield power over.

EricNorthmanIsMyMaker Sun 03-Mar-13 21:11:07

I wonder why some people have children!

sweetieaddict Sun 03-Mar-13 21:12:22

What a revolting, uneducated, heartless bitch. I will be thinking of her poor, innocent son when I go to sleep tonight. You could always show her thread, the friendship will be over but it might save her son having to scream himself to sleep every night. <weeps>

SirBoobAlot Sun 03-Mar-13 21:14:16

CIO is vile. It's neglectful to let a child cry for that long, no matter how old they are, and no matter how much you like your sleep.

Makes me sick.

Lostonthemoors Sun 03-Mar-13 21:15:42

YANBU sadsadsad

mackerella Sun 03-Mar-13 21:15:57

What's wrong with calling a baby born at 36 weeks "premature", cansu? Any baby born before 37 weeks gestation is premature and will be monitored through their first year as such (adjusted age used to measure growth, development, etc) - not to mention increased health risks (jaundice, respiratory problems) from being born pre-term. Or how early do you think a baby has to be born to qualify as being "properly" premature, then?

sausagedogfan Sun 03-Mar-13 21:15:58

Thing is OP, if she's doing CIO with a 6wo / 2w corrected, she is not going to react well to an article from a AP slant!

Personally, I think CIO is horrid at any age though I can understand if someone gets desperate because they are absolutely shattered. But to do it just because you think your baby "should" be in a routine and should "know who's boss" (wtf?!) is just cruel. I don't understand how people can't see that 6wo babies are supposed to cry and the parent is supposed to respond to it, and they are not supposed to sleep through the night. Great if they do, but it's not "normal", it's just luck.

My SIL is pg with her first and has told me she is going to do exactly that. I know that part of it is bluster because she thinks my parenting is hippyish and has made it clear she is doing everything different to me hmm, but if she actually does go ahead and do it, well, I just don't know.

SirBoobAlot Sun 03-Mar-13 21:16:32

And if that is her view on children, then honestly I would find myself no longer able to be friends with her. Show them who is 'boss'? Jesus...

HumphreyCobbler Sun 03-Mar-13 21:18:10

3 hours sad

timidviper Sun 03-Mar-13 21:18:26

You can't control how anyone else parents their children. You offered your opinion and it wasn't acted on so you have to move on.

That's very sad, it would upset me too if I saw a friend posting a status like that.
I hate the "show it who's boss" attitude, it's a baby who needs to be cuddled, Not some evil genius who needs to be broken.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sun 03-Mar-13 21:18:57

Some people are shirt parents. You can't help that. I can understand why you feel really sad and upset for the poor newborn baby involved.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sun 03-Mar-13 21:19:35

Shirt = SHIT.

Bloody ipad auto correct.

ReturnOfEmeraldGreen Sun 03-Mar-13 21:19:59

She deserves to see this thread. <EmeraldGreen steps away from thread before succumbing to the temptation to say "your friend is a fucking fool" for the 3rd time >

crashdoll Sun 03-Mar-13 21:21:37

I think YABU for sending her unconditional/attachment parenting info but YANBU to find it upsetting nor for trying to help.

JollyYellowGiant Sun 03-Mar-13 21:22:19

We used controlled crying. When DS was 7mo. I am comfortable with our decision and think it worked for us.

Despite obviously being an advocate of controlled crying in certain circumstances, I absolutely think that doing Cry It Out to a 6 week old is utterly mad. Poor, poor baby.

RobinSparkles United States Sun 03-Mar-13 21:23:36

You can't leave a 6 wo to CIO, you just can't sad. I'm sorry if I'm being judgy.

Three hours? That's fucking awful, I've cried for 3 hours as an adult and its horrible. I would never ever want to leave anyone for 3 hours to cry.

It's damaging.

That poor poor baby. I don't understand why some people have a baby and treat them as an inconvenience. sad

doyouwantfrieswiththat Sun 03-Mar-13 21:25:47

I think if you can leave your 6wk old baby to cry for 3hrs and not crack you may need some help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now