To not let my DS learn to dive.

(303 Posts)
Sandy11 Sun 27-Jan-13 22:06:35

My DS is 16 and wants to lean to dive. He says he has found a club for beginners of his age and really wants to learn. He is quite shy and has not had many hobbies. The only problem is that the lessons would last from 4 - 6 pm on a Sunday. The centre is miles away in the city and I am not prepared to drive so he would have to go on the train. I am worried that something bad would happen to him he is 16 but I don't think as a parent I should let him travel far about an hours journey on the train at them times. It would not affect his school work but you don't know who lurks about today. He is really shy and feel guilty for not letting him do this and it is not expensive either. Am I being unreasonable stopping him?

mrsjay Wed 30-Jan-13 09:17:26

sorry I know the thread has probbaly moved on he is 16 and you dont want him going on the train he needs some independance when do you think it will be ok for him to be out and about on his own. let him try it out least he doesn't want to be sitting in his room playing xbox all day and night like some kids his age he wants to do something. I was working at 16 I left school

Just thinking though that this is surely something we all have to deal with as our children become teenagers and increasingly independent. It is a challenge to know when and what to say "yes" to, and to cope with our own feelings as well as theirs on each step of that journey.

Sandy is maybe just showing that she's more anxious than most, but I agree she needs to challenge that in herself, and/or get some support for how she's feeling and acting, for her son's benefit as well as her own.

mrsjay Wed 30-Jan-13 09:22:54

I agree with you juggiling It is her own feelings she needs to deal with we can't keep them at our side forever, I have never been anxious about independence and I did it with my teens at age appropriate times IYSWIM I just think at 16 he is to old to be told no to go on the train,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now