to want answers to these S&B questions?

(539 Posts)
HullyEastergully Thu 06-Dec-12 10:17:44

Why are:

1. Certain items of clothing = "mumsy" eg bootcuts, tunics, some boots but not others (forget which)

2. Short wide jumpers are inherently better than others

3. Anyone over a size 12 = fat

4. Fat = mumsy

5. That thinking the above makes you a cleverer and more knowing alnd all-round better person with a slight pitying disdain for those that don't agree.

Lastly I would like a definition of "Mumsy" and why it is an insult.

Thank you.

PerryCombover Sat 08-Dec-12 18:39:36

Lolling

TrillsCarolsOutOfTune Sat 08-Dec-12 16:57:28

Patriarchal constructs of attractiveness.

Probably.

Being a mum is not an attractive feature. One must be young and unsullied by the hand of any other man. Or something.

Mothers have already had sex with someone else (shock!) and they have children who demand their attention, so they can't give all of their attention to you.

HullyEastergully Sat 08-Dec-12 16:53:11

If you rtft, perry, you would see that it isn't

However why trouble yourself, eh?

PlaySchool Sat 08-Dec-12 11:48:23

The people who call others 'mumsy' probably have those UPVC front doors which have a panel-so the door looks tiny. Those doors make me itch.

grin Agreed! I bloody hate Upvc doors (and windows but I have those myself). I especially hate white Upvc doors. They are damned awful. No-one with one of those doors has the right to criticise anyone else's sense of fashion or style.

"Mumsy" is a subjective term. The Boden look could be mumsy or the outdated baggy clothes look could be mumsy. Whatever! brew

HullyEastergully Sat 08-Dec-12 11:39:49

ho ho ho

SuePurblyFeltYourPresents Sat 08-Dec-12 07:58:08

Not sure where anyone mentions pride?

Tbh if you turn up on a thread, proudly <see, I can guess too> announce that you haven't read it but proceed to criticise the OP roundly, add in at least two long explanations of your own views - startlingly arrogant to do that whilst making it clear you can't be bothered to read anybody else's I always think - and then use silly phrases to describe your clothes, I'd say a gentle piss-take is inevitable.

Now, I'm off to see Father Christmas today. I shall be wearing my ironic but secretly excited dress.

PerryCombover Sat 08-Dec-12 00:54:32

Oi hully fred about a Fred

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 07-Dec-12 22:55:35

but what about Schiaparelli? Witty, non

<btw I know nowt about the histoire of fashion and just happened upon that Cocteau/Shaps jaquet, but I am not letting on to garlic incase she rumbles me>

lostconfusedwhatnext Fri 07-Dec-12 19:49:47

"No. We were mocking it. That's different.
HTH."

Yes thanks, it actually does help me a lot that you are so proud of that. cheers

garlicbaubles Fri 07-Dec-12 18:05:16

grin

TheShriekingHarpy Fri 07-Dec-12 17:41:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PretzelTime Fri 07-Dec-12 17:24:40

I like my bootcuts. Figure balancing and space for boots underneath!

SunsetMojito Fri 07-Dec-12 17:21:46

It's just fun though isn't it to dress in things that make you smile - witty or otherwise wink

Mandy2003 Fri 07-Dec-12 17:19:23

I was volunteering at a charity shop today and a donation of bootcut jeans came in. I sent them off to another branch - wonder why hmm

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 07-Dec-12 16:52:33

Oh and while we are at it we need a pyjama campaign. I just went to buy some. I am NOT wearing carebear or disney pyjamas thank you M&S, I am not 6. FFS. It's an affront tis what it is. Katherine of Hepburn would not have worn Minnie Mouse pyjamas angry

garlicbaubles Fri 07-Dec-12 16:11:52

Oooh, I'd forgotten about Schiaparelli, Funnys! Now she was witty, through and through. Cheers for the reminder smile

Plush doggy jacket witty if worn 'ironically', which would probably make the wearer a bit of a prat.

Puffy dangly muppet togs more slapstick than wit. Good fun, though.

Yoko's new line for men sounds quite 'witty', Harpy ... I think I'd prefer less sexual overtness all round but, if we must have it, let's get the chaps back in tights & codpieces grin

Audrey Hepburn was a 'witty' dresser. She'd often have some outsized accessory or something worn at an unusual angle - made you look twice. Katharine was equally stylish, but serious.

Why the fuck am I going on about fashion? I need to get dressed! <hides crappy old comfy pyjamas-alike from computer>

Notafoodbabyanymore Fri 07-Dec-12 15:38:40

Sorry, I'm just enjoying the witty jacket et al because it makes no sense and is hilarious. Wasn't trying to be nasty, nor did I think there was any deep meaning in it.

Meanwhile, I have yet to hear any suggestions about what shape of jeans a woman should wear if bootcut is the only shape that suits her but she hasn't entirely "given up on fashion".

Not that that applies to me. I pretty much wear tracksuit pants as a rule. smile

TheShriekingHarpy Fri 07-Dec-12 15:37:31

fromparistoberlin Fri 07-Dec-12 15:21:06

like Extended BF, silly frootshot jokes and Greggs jokes, the scorn towards bootleg jeans and MUM-boots is a MN only phenonema

why on earth are people thinking they are ugly and frumpy?? have I missed something confused

HullyEastergully Fri 07-Dec-12 14:52:22

Better than the nasty stuff sue, is the concern that we are all upset because we are frumpy and ugly and insecure.

HullyEastergully Fri 07-Dec-12 14:51:55

I don't know ou est La Pag, I messaged her on fb, but no answer yet. Her mamma is poorly.

Absy Fri 07-Dec-12 14:45:28

Though, apparently Yoko Ono is making a fashion line which enhances male characteristics, e.g. showcasing nipples and penii

TheShriekingHarpy Fri 07-Dec-12 14:39:01

Absy Fri 07-Dec-12 14:30:34

Where's Paggy?

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 07-Dec-12 14:28:33

I think totes bonk is the phrase you were after Absy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now