to want answers to these S&B questions?

(539 Posts)
HullyEastergully Thu 06-Dec-12 10:17:44

Why are:

1. Certain items of clothing = "mumsy" eg bootcuts, tunics, some boots but not others (forget which)

2. Short wide jumpers are inherently better than others

3. Anyone over a size 12 = fat

4. Fat = mumsy

5. That thinking the above makes you a cleverer and more knowing alnd all-round better person with a slight pitying disdain for those that don't agree.

Lastly I would like a definition of "Mumsy" and why it is an insult.

Thank you.

MsElleTow Thu 06-Dec-12 10:59:01

I wear clothes for comfort! I defy anyone with the pain issues I sniffer with to endure a day of wearing skinny jeans, instead of leggings, just so some stuck up cow doesn't judge them for being "mumsy"!

Yesterday when I read the slagging off tunic thread, I was wearing denim look leggings, a dark navy long jumper (tunic) with a cerise pink heart, and Celtic sheepskin boots. My hair was washed and styled and is highlighted, I had make up on, I am a size 8-10 and carry no baby weight! I did not look mumsy!

TuftyFinch Thu 06-Dec-12 10:59:16

Djembe, tunics suit me though. smile

Djembe Thu 06-Dec-12 11:00:47

Right Tufty what size, shape and age are you? If you look nice in tunics, you'll look even nicer in something else wink

HullyEastergully Thu 06-Dec-12 11:01:17

Tufty is 22 stone and 95 years old.

catgirl1976geesealaying Thu 06-Dec-12 11:02:19

I'm bigger than a 12

I'm not mumsy.

DingDongKethryverilyonHigh Thu 06-Dec-12 11:03:41

this is why i like being a goth/hippy/rocker kind of person.. i wear what i like and i really dont give two shits or a fuck what anyones opinion of me is.

i dont have the time or inclination to give a rats arse about what people are wearing!

HullyEastergully Thu 06-Dec-12 11:05:01

I have a brilliant idea!

What about some pics of "mumsiness" and "stylishness?"

Jingleflobba Thu 06-Dec-12 11:05:21

I'm 36, size 10/12 and look bloody awesome in the tunic I'm wearing (with leggings and knee high boots) I'm wearing today. DH pinched my bum on his way out of the door to work this morning...

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 06-Dec-12 11:05:43

I didn't know that thing about short wide jumpers. Thats new that is.

One thing I have learned about S&B is that no matter what weight you say you are someone will always come along and say that you could do with loosing a £ or two. There is a HUGE snobbishness about vanity sizing. You do realise that in the 40's everyone weighed 6 stone and was still a size 14 don't you?

ReindeerHooves Thu 06-Dec-12 11:05:51

I still wear 'em MrsJingle, they are cool, comfortable, suit my shape and fine for office dress code. What's not to like? confused

I also wear tunics. I choose styles that accentuate my waist and and norks but skim over my arse and thighs.

I also have eleven hundred and twelvetyteen scarves. I wonder if scarves are passe? <frets><not really>

catgirl1976geesealaying Thu 06-Dec-12 11:06:58

I am wearing something sold as a "dress" as a top (it can't be a dress. it's too short. or i am too old )

Does that make it a tunic?

HullyEastergully Thu 06-Dec-12 11:07:45

Can I have some links for plain tunics btw?

NotMostPeople Thu 06-Dec-12 11:08:00

Well Turkey to me it does. Sticking to the bootcuts for example, I know that they haven't been in fashion for years because I enjoy reading some womens magazines and fashion blogs. Even if I wasn't into fashion I would have noticed by now that they are out of fashion as it has been the case for a very very long time so just by wandering about every day you'd notice. Therefore to still be wearing them either means that you genuinely don't care or you haven't noticed. As someone who likes to keep up to date with modern culture I find that strange. If you are wearing your bootcuts because you like them, they flatter you and you make them work for you then great, I'm behind you but if you just didn't realise that ship has passed then yes I'm a bit sneery.

I will admit that it's not very nice of me, but I am being honest here, you did ask.

TuftyFinch Thu 06-Dec-12 11:08:32

Djembe: DH has an MA in womenswear from the RCA. He has worked for MaxMara, Joseph etc. We have friends who still work in the fashion industry, some at a very high level. No one has ever called me mumsy.
I wear what I fancy, my latest purchase was a 50p granny coat from the jumble sale. I'm wearing it today with APC jeans, rolled up of course, striped (cashmere grin) socks, old Clarks shoes and a Norwegian fisherman's jumper. I cut my hair myself, it's short and messy. I don't wear make up, just Vaseline.
I don't 'follow' fashion. It follows me.

WilsonFrickett Thu 06-Dec-12 11:10:21

To me mumsy means frumpy, but not necessarily as if people haven't made an effort. Everything - everything - in Per Una is mumsy. Because it makes me look like one of my friends' mums. So for me, mumsy means looking like a floaty fluttery gran. And I'm not.

I say this as someone who doesn't give a rats about fashion, by the way. But I don't want to dress 'old'.

However I missed TunicGate so may be missing the point here.

HullyEastergully Thu 06-Dec-12 11:11:04

I am head to toe Sainsburys. Literally. Every item I have on right now, inc underwear, is from the supermarket.

hahahahaha

HullyEastergully Thu 06-Dec-12 11:12:05

I wouldn't say that fashion follows me tho, more runs screaming

TuftyFinch Thu 06-Dec-12 11:12:20

Hilly grin
You're not coming in my camper in sainsbo clothes.
Joking smile

HullyEastergully Thu 06-Dec-12 11:13:22

I will INFECT you with Tu

WilsonFrickett Thu 06-Dec-12 11:14:12
ChristmasTreeSurgeon Thu 06-Dec-12 11:14:13

Hmmmm.... I can relate to this Hully
I was trying some very mumsy jeans on the other day in M&S and overheard two girls talking outside the fitting rooms. One girl says to the other who was trying something on (didn't see what) "ahem, that looks a bit... aaaaa... mumsy [giggles]" Other girls says "you're right" changes back and leaves in a hurry.

I sooo wanted to shout over the curtain - Girls you know there are a lot of mums out there who look absolutely amazing don't you?

I just sighed loudly instead.......

Mandy2003 Thu 06-Dec-12 11:14:45

I give you: mum boots - black ankle boots with a 2" heel and almond toe, worn with (bootcut) jeans. Why, just why? I've always had strange school-gate looks because I wear black Reebok Classics with straight jeans. High heels or platforms with skinnies, yes, I can understand that.

Or Mom Jeans grin

TuftyFinch Thu 06-Dec-12 11:14:48

Nmnoooooooooooo
I'll get DH to run you up a nice tunic grin

MrsJingleBells74 Thu 06-Dec-12 11:15:06

Feel free to sneer at me then, I'd assumed that because you can get bootcut jeans from most clothes shops that they were still acceptable fashion wise. Oh well, does that REALLY make me a worse mother or human being? Save your sneers for someone who gives a crap grin

MoomieAndFreddie Thu 06-Dec-12 11:15:39

<watches>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now