we went to a gay pride carnival

(109 Posts)
ThirdTimesABrokenFanjo Sun 30-Jun-13 20:10:49

100,000 people where no one was dressing for straight men.

most of the women had comfy clothes and the ones who were dressing in a "sexy" way had gone whole hog and were practically naked.... but not in the "im actually feeling quite uncomfortable and it's really apparent to anyone who looks at me" way you often see. Maybe it was the fact that they wernt being molested or catcalled as they walked.

and i realized while looking at the young men how rare it is for men to be undressed in our society. I probably saw more banana hammocks in any square ft there than i have ever seen in my 30 years of tv viewing. grin

Straight men want boobs and fussy hair and make up so they get it.

straight men do not want to see bananna hammocks so we just dont see them

TiggyD Mon 01-Jul-13 12:43:59

The pressure on men to look good from women consists basically:
No socks and sandals.
2 separate eyebrows.
Be clean.

kim147 Mon 01-Jul-13 16:55:50

malensky Again - my words are being twisted.

Someone mentioned the patriarchal fuckability test and of course there's pressure on women about their appearance so they "can be pleasing to men" - but personally I think it's just ridiculous the effort some people go to nowadays.

Do you not think there's pressure on men as well to have "something about them" so they are attractive to women? Not appearance necessarily - although I'm sure being well built and groomed helps but a pressure on "status and power". Different pressures but pressure nonetheless.

Or do you just think men go round not worrying about this stuff and just assuming the other sex will find them attractive and a catch no matter what?

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Mon 01-Jul-13 17:03:09

I was only asking a question. I didn't mean to twist anything, just to ask what you thought.

Sorry I spoke.

kim147 Mon 01-Jul-13 17:07:02

Sorry - it's been a long day with 6 year olds. Sometimes things get misread as is the joy of the internet. I think I put the wrong emphasis on the way I thought it was written.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Mon 01-Jul-13 17:08:40

I'm sorry too. I've just had a minor bang in my car so in a shaky and/or foul mood.

kim147 Mon 01-Jul-13 17:09:44

There is a different pressure on men - not necessarily to look good but there was no doubt at my school and when I was in my 20s who women seemed to be attracted to. Either good looking blokes or those with some kind of status attached to them.

And blokes were normally attracted to good looking women.

NiceTabard Mon 01-Jul-13 19:44:57

Did I really read a post upthread that seemed to say that women and girls who "get rubbish from men" are subconsciously asking for it?

MyHumpsMyLovelyBabyBumps Mon 01-Jul-13 19:58:01

Yep. And if you point out how vile and judgmental that the is... The sisterhood doesn't exist hmm

MyHumpsMyLovelyBabyBumps Mon 01-Jul-13 19:59:52

Apparently men are in no way responsible for their behaviour, they're just highly attuned to what women want (even more than the actual woman herself )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now