A weight loss thread for just eating less

(151 Posts)
Lorelei76 Mon 18-Jul-16 13:48:58

hello all
short version

have tried to lose weight a few times!

going for the "eating less" approach. Had a long weekend break, now starting in earnest with the hope of a boot camp style month.

I don't eat a huge amount of junk, but nonetheless want to tackle my sweet tooth as it certainly doesn't help with anything. I only have sugar free jelly in the house to eat now if I have the urge for something sweet - I've learned from experience that if I have no options at all, I will just start eating anything.

I am also trying to eat less - smaller meals, in some cases not 3 meals a day because I don't always need that.

it is a casual approach but I find calorie counting etc really boring. I walk a lot and do some weight training and yoga so all good on that front.

anyone fancy joining me? I think it would be nice to check in once a day just to say "I haven't overeaten" and share it with someone!

Toooldtobearsed Mon 18-Jul-16 14:02:47

Can i join please?

I have just completed a week of faddy diet stuff that everyone frowns on, but needed something radical to kick start me and get me away from wine and chiocolate - my main vices. It worked a treat and i have lost 10lbs, so very happy.

I have had no cravings, strangely enough and so now wanting to continue, but by eating smaller, healthier portions. Less potatoes, rice, bread, chocolate and wine.

Today, so far, so good - i now know there is a huge difference between what we want to eat and what we need to eat.

This thread will hopefully keep me in line. Promise to be truthful😆

I

Lorelei76 Mon 18-Jul-16 14:12:49

please do join!

I know it's not a very technical approach - but yes, there is such a difference between the amount I need to eat and what I actually do eat, so mastering eating less and conquering boredom eating (in the office) will be a big deal for me.

tobee Mon 18-Jul-16 14:24:17

Ooh! I like this idea. My problem with calorie counting is that it's not only boring but tricky to be accurate and also tricky when you're out and about. I'd like to join to share tips to because I can imagine kidding oneself could be a factor especially down the line. I think I'll do a food diary too.

beckslovestimmy Mon 18-Jul-16 14:32:06

I'd like to give it a try. I've tried slimming world/weight watchers but i end up cooking 2 or 3 different meals a day as DD and DH won't eat 'diet' food. I've now also got a 3 week old so don't have the time to cook lots of different meals. It makes sense to all have the same but me to reduce my portion size, i also need to up my exercise so will try doing both together.

beckslovestimmy Mon 18-Jul-16 14:44:24

Tobee I think a food diary is a good idea. I will do that too that way I can't kid myself that I've not eaten much if it's all written down.

JamieVardysParty Mon 18-Jul-16 16:29:33

This is what I'm planning on doing before a wedding in Oct.

Much more water, much smaller portions, cutting out junk & refined sugar/carbs, eating 3 meals and moving more.

Already been averaging 4 gym sessions a week so just need to keep that up and start heavier weights. Had an awful cold the past two weeks so just waiting to get over that.

Lorelei76 Mon 18-Jul-16 22:19:08

Well today has been okay..hopefully not just due to he weather! Didn't particularly like my dinner but as I'm determined to avoid any junk food, I couldn't offset it with any biscuits etc as I don't have any in.

beckslovestimmy Mon 18-Jul-16 22:23:16

I'm going to start from tomorrow morning. I baked brownies today but they are being packed off with DH to work.

I've got left over pasta bake from today so will have that for dinner. It was cooked from scratch with no oil added. I'll have cereal for brekkie and not sure on lunch yet.

Blondie1984 Mon 18-Jul-16 22:36:07

Great thread!
For anyone who hasn't already, I can definitely recommend trying spiralized veg as a pasta replacement (either entirely replacing or going half and half) - courgette, carrots, broccoli stalk, butternut squash and sweet potato work really well
Cauliflower couscous is another one that is quite tasty

tobee Tue 19-Jul-16 00:16:37

I've been spiralizing courgette like a loon recently. It is great as pasta substitute and very speedy. Tried it the other day spiralized RAW courgette, bit of grated raw beetroot, lemon juice, parsley, raw red onion. No oil needed. Fab!

Reed88 Tue 19-Jul-16 10:00:29

At the moment I've just tried to cut out snacking so just breakfast, lunch and dinner - having dinner on a small plate - waiting 15 minutes and if I'm still hungry I'll go back for more!

I've kind of been calorie aware but trying not to obsess too much about it.

So for breakfast I'll either have 2 slices of toast or small bowl of porridge.

For lunch I'll have a chunky soup and an apple to have later on if I get hungry...

And a small dinner.

Although the past week I've been snacking oops! Not because I'm hungry but because...biscuits are my weakness!

Lorelei76 Tue 19-Jul-16 20:34:06

Today has been okay
And i resisted ice cream in the supermarket and at work.
I figured the more I keep saying no, the easier it will get. I hope!

Blondie1984 Tue 19-Jul-16 23:46:29

tobee that sounds delish - will definitely have to give it a go

Lorelei76 - it does get easier but remember "everything in moderation" - one every now and then is fine - just not one every day....
And MiniMilks are great - they are less than 40 calories each

Toooldtobearsed Wed 20-Jul-16 04:57:17

Is anyone else like me?

I find it much easier, much, much easier to stick to a 'hard' regime - the diet i did last week, 5:2, etc, than 'eating sensibly'?

I have used the (very strict )diet last week to re educate my taste buds and for the first time ever, it actually worked! I still have not had a glass of wine, there is a piece of chocolate cake festering in the kitchen at the moment, nd i can say hand on heart, i have no desire for them!!! Gobsmacked 😊

Yesterday went well, i had:

Porridge and raspberries
Scrambled eggs and tomatoes
Salmon, salad,
Yoghurt and fresh fruit
Black coffee and lots of water

Did my 10k steps despite the horrendous heat and 5 minutes on rowing machine. Could not do more, it was just too humid!

Good luck to everyone for today😜

tobee Wed 20-Jul-16 11:43:28

Started well yesterday. Went bad in evening as invited to spontaneous bbq and there might have been cake. Quite big cake.

I need to start properly rather than drift about! A pretty diary is coming to encourage me to fill honestly with food and have decided to add a mood comment, eg happy, confident, optimistic, tired etc.

Idbemonica1 Wed 20-Jul-16 14:23:43

Can I join too please. I'm need to lose my christmas weight before it comes around again... my problem is that I eat every time that I go into the kitchen. Today I've prepared a large jug of water and every time I go in I drink rather than eat. Has worked so far! Biscuits are my nemesis, I can't eat one it's normally three (or four).

Lorelei76 Wed 20-Jul-16 20:48:34

Too old, sort of yes, at least, I do better with a banned list than a moderation approach.

One poster said about mini milk. It's the real ice cream I resisted and glad I did.

Today has been okay too, yay.

tobee Thu 21-Jul-16 12:49:41

Being a bit dim I thought I needed the help of a portion plate and a pasta portion basket to help with eating less. I haven't used them yet and will probably shocked by the comparison when I do. Anyone else used one and did they work?

Toooldtobearsed Thu 21-Jul-16 14:03:48

Are they the ones with sections marked off for protein/carbs etc? Not used one so no use at all to you but would be tempted to make chip mountains, single layer salad and jenga style sausages if i had one😆

tobee Thu 21-Jul-16 17:35:39

Yes I was thinking that too, Tooold! The question section on Amazon had that and answers were you need to use SOME judgement and self restraint!

Lorelei76 Thu 21-Jul-16 22:56:30

Today has been okay
Tbh I should prob not be too excited as the heat has made it easier
But today my boss had chocolate and I didn't even think, that looks nice. So that's a good sign.

Toooldtobearsed Fri 22-Jul-16 05:17:35

Brilliant Lorelei! I am hoping it is not the heat too - but i have had no sweet cravings at all. I think with me though, I need to NOT have a 'small piece of cake, a biscuit, a teeny bar of chocolate, because that would just open the flodd gates! When i tried to eat sensibly last year, i bought a fun size bag of maltesers, intending to just have a small bag as a treat every day.
I am sure i dont need to tell you how long that bag lasted, but lets just say 48hrs would be pushing it😊

I had another good day yesterday. Made my own chicken tikka (not masarla), homemade raita, chapati and spicy vegetables. It was bloody gorgeous!

Out today, so bar meal beckons. Lets see how strong my resolve is😊

Hope everyone else is doing well and tobee is being sensible😂😂

humblesims Fri 22-Jul-16 09:11:36

Hi can I jump on board with this. I started doing just this about 6 weeks ago and have lost nearly a stone so far. I am finding it OK. I started by cutting out snacks (except for apples or similar) and cutting down about 80% of my bread intake. Also I do the smaller plate thing and sensible portion sizes (lots of veg to fill up and smaller portions of meat and minimum or no pasta/potatoes etc). I still eat things I want such as sausages or chilli or bolognaise but less often. So I dont feel too much like I am missing out on favourites. I have cut out chocolate altogether because I cant 'do' small amounts of chocolate! Cut out cakes buscuits etc etc. I have replaced toast and marmalade breakfast with fruit and yogurt and replaced sandwich lunches with 'bits and bobs' lunches which as a plate of bits and bobs like hard boiled egg (I eat a lot of eggs!) homemade coleslaw tomatoes. I have learned to actually love oatcakes! I eat my meals much much more slowly. I take little rests throughout the meals and consciously think about what I'm eating and am learning to 'notice' when I'm full. Sounds a bit daft but it actually really helps. I have also started to wait longer before my meals. When the kids were small I ate at the same time as them (7am 12noon 5pm) but now I dont have breaky till after eight and lunch till gone 1pm and super between 6 - 7) and I find that really helps me too. And then no evening snacks! This is the hardest one for me (and a lot of people I think!) If I get cravings in the evening I will have an apple and cheese chopped up. So, yeah, thats what I'm doing. I also find a cup of proper coffee mid morning helps me get through to lunch. No calorie counting (but vague peripheral calorie awareness) and not worrying if I have a bad/naughty day, just get back on it next day.

Idbemonica1 Fri 22-Jul-16 11:05:57

Think this thread alone is helping me, going to weigh myself next Friday. Have been really good this week eating normal meals but have cut out eating between meals completely ( I could quite happily graze all day).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now