Christmas weather forecast thread.

(161 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 07-Dec-15 18:27:15

Starts tomorrow fgrin will be wildly inaccurate this far out of course, but tomorrow Christmas eve comes into gfs range. Hoorah!

GloriaSmud Mon 07-Dec-15 20:00:42

Yay, a Christmas forecast thread. I've been watching the date get closer with each model run, trying to get some idea what might happen!
<dons Santa hat in readiness fsmile>

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 08-Dec-15 08:03:02

Christmas Eve just scrapes on to the far end of GFS now.

Reminder for newbies to my forecasts. I'm strictly amateur, do get things wrong quite frequently, please don't rely on my forecasts for any decisions you make.

Plus at this range its going to be entirely wrong!

Christmas Eve According to GFS looks dreadfully wet across much of the UK. Mild.

RatOnnaStick Tue 08-Dec-15 08:12:10

Bleurgh. Mild and wet. Christmas should be sunny, very cold and crisp with a hoar frost santa

<stamps foot>

Mild and wet. Hmph.

whojamaflip Tue 08-Dec-15 11:45:51

Wonderful - that's means slogging through the mud to feed the cows and sheep Christmas morning angry would much prefer a hard frost......

howtorebuild Tue 08-Dec-15 11:47:32

I like mild smile, not so keen on wet.

SideOrderofSprouts Tue 08-Dec-15 13:37:12

miild and wet. Humph. Not christmas weather at all.

Madelinehatter Tue 08-Dec-15 16:30:04

HATE this mild weather. My bulbs are coming up and saw blossom in trees today FFS!

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 08-Dec-15 18:17:45

If its any consolation the latest model run has generally switched to cold and wet (snow over higher ground 'up north')

Madelinehatter Tue 08-Dec-15 20:52:34

Ooh good. I am up North!

zombiesarecoming Tue 08-Dec-15 21:40:03

Just need it to switch to very cold on the east coast so we can have a bit of snow

Will be watching with interest and crossed fingers

howtorebuild Tue 08-Dec-15 21:46:08

Cold and wet sad.

patterkiller Tue 08-Dec-15 21:46:45

Let it snow. Just for a bit. Just between 9 and 10 Christmas Eve.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 09-Dec-15 07:50:55

I'm only looking at the operational run this morning (rather than the spread of possibilities), a little tight for time.

Christmas Eve Cool and damp in the south, cold and wet in the north except over hilly ground where it may be snow. Snow more likely in the north of Scotland.

Christmas Day starts off mild wet in the south, cold 'up north' with a significant frost in Scotland.

BlackeyedSusan Wed 09-Dec-15 08:10:42

I like mild. we did not put the heating on until the 22nd of Nov. we have had 5 days since when we have not had the heating on, (four in a row over the weekend , mon and yesterday.) fabulous.

RatOnnaStick Wed 09-Dec-15 09:30:17

Mild isn't so bad but wet and mild is just horrible. Damp and cold is crap too. It was lovely and crisp this morning. I had to defrost the car, first time in a while. 1° at 8.30. lovely.

ThruUlikeAshortcut Wed 09-Dec-15 23:58:05

Madeline I was coming on here to say the same! Last week I noticed a Cherry Blossom and magnolia tree coming into blossom, then this morning some daffodils

shock

Perihelion Thu 10-Dec-15 00:47:06

Am bored of wet now. Would quite like cold. Would actually love totally benign weather on Xmas eve as have to travel on Xmas eve to Fife from Edinburgh. With no bridge and the schools finishing late I don't need shite weather to complicate things. Snow on boxing day would be nice.
I'm sure some says recently have been warmer than we had in the "summer".

Perihelion Thu 10-Dec-15 00:48:58

Days.......

Madelinehatter Thu 10-Dec-15 06:53:39

daffodils? FFS weather sort yourself out!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 10-Dec-15 07:28:16

Again, just the operational run of gfs this morning. (but I've had a peek at the spaghetti plots and it does seem to be a cold outlier.)

Christmas Eve cold. Sub zero 'up north', some sleet or snow showers.

Christmas day cold and mostly dry.

Boxing day early hours Some really sharp frosts.

So there we go, entirely different from yesterday's forecast! As I say it does seem to be a cold outlier though.

leesmum Thu 10-Dec-15 08:11:17

Thanks Kitten fingers crossed for a snowy Christmas fwink

Sallycinnamum Thu 10-Dec-15 09:02:06

Ooh that looks encouraging!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 10-Dec-15 09:03:04

lol! I'm rather sceptical as it is such a huge change from yesterdays model.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now