Met office weather warnings for heavy rain, severe gales and snow

(967 Posts)
OhYouMerryLittleKitten Tue 17-Dec-13 21:19:41

Going to be an eventful few days. Have been discussing it in te Christmas weather thread but I think they need highlighting. met office warnings

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Tue 17-Dec-13 21:20:42
AChristmassyJerseySpud Tue 17-Dec-13 21:24:14

it can all fuck off now sad

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Tue 17-Dec-13 21:49:18

Sorry Jerseyspud sad in many ways some of these storms have more potential for causing disruption than snow.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 18-Dec-13 07:42:51

Just a reminder of the upcoming severe weather. Today, esp tonight into tomorrow the main risk area will be nW Scotland but other areas of Scotland, NI and also parts of Wales, the SW and the southern coast will also see some very strong winds.

oricella Wed 18-Dec-13 07:44:51

Still calmish here, but just checking the warnings and we have four days of warnings of gales, snow and heavy rain. O joy...

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 18-Dec-13 08:12:45

I dont think you are going to like the Christmas forecast thread very much sad

oricella Wed 18-Dec-13 10:21:24

O well, we're warm & cosy and nowhere to go ;)

Here's an interesting link: real time wind map Bookmarked for the coming days.. see if it matches up to the world outside grin

JadedAngel Wed 18-Dec-13 10:51:27

It's very windy and very wet on the south west coast. Wind getting stronger and howling, whipping round the house and the sea is roaring. I can't actually see it though it's only 50 yards away, it's just one big grey mass out there.

It's grim and I'm glad to be inside with the woodburner on!

GloriaSmud Wed 18-Dec-13 11:21:35

oricella ~ that wind map is excellent!

Can I point out that the metoffice have upgraded their warnings and there are some amber warnings out now for some areas of Scotland and N. Ireland, for strong winds/gales today and tomorrow.

JadedAngel Wed 18-Dec-13 11:24:14

Ooh yes love the wind map! See where the mass of green arrows is hitting the south Cornwall coast? Yep, I'm right about there!

oricella Wed 18-Dec-13 11:49:18

Thanks Gloria; we're right on the edge of amber now but probably will be fine.. West coast looks like it will get another battering.

GloriaSmud Wed 18-Dec-13 12:07:11

It's interesting to see on the map where some of the winds originate from and how the land masses affect the flow of air.
JadedAngel ~ it doesn't look like much else will change over the next few days ~ you're going to carry on being hit by those 'green arrows!'

GloriaSmud Wed 18-Dec-13 12:14:02

The wind's got up here (Leicester) in the last hour ~ we've just had a gust of 17mph.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 18-Dec-13 13:34:02

Cool graphic! Its unsurprising that the warning is amber, I'm a little surprised that they didnt do it earlier.

Mirage Wed 18-Dec-13 13:35:13

I'm about 10 miles north of Gloria [waves].Been working outside all morning and just about to go back and sort out the animals before the rain starts.The wind has really picked up in the past hour and I'm glad I replaced the candles we used in the last power cut,as we might need them.

GloriaSmud Wed 18-Dec-13 14:25:43

[waves] back to Mirage.
Certainly doesn't feel like the 9.9C my weather station says it is. On our local news at lunchtime, they mentioned we might have a little snow tomorrow evening. Nothing too drastic but depends on whether a front moves up north to where we are.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 18-Dec-13 15:12:19

TORRO have issued a convective discussion for isolated tornadoes, wind gusts to 65mph (85-90mph W Scotland), occasional CG lightning as squall line associated with a cold front from the deep low centered to the north of Scotland passes over this afternoon and through the evening.

StillSlightlyCrumpled Wed 18-Dec-13 15:42:47

DH & I are flying Birmingham to Dublin tomorrow afternoon & back Saturday evening. Hate flying at the best of times. Will need ������ at the airport I think!

Makinglists Wed 18-Dec-13 16:46:29

Very heavy rain and strong gusts here in Plymouth at the moment - apparently a few trees already down.
Not good as I have to turn out and take DS1 to the school play in an hour and DH is cycling home!!!

Makinglists Wed 18-Dec-13 16:50:31

Gusts around house are getting louder and rather unsettling!!!(we are in a built up urban area so not particularly exposed).

BerylStreep Wed 18-Dec-13 16:53:02

Wind howling and heavy, sideways rain here in NI.

Very windy but dry here in the NW

HesterShaw Wed 18-Dec-13 17:14:42

There is an actual bloody real proper major storm raging! They've shut the seafront road and all the houses are sandbagged! I was just turned back my a man in a yellow coat. I'm supposed to be carolling tonight grin

HesterShaw Wed 18-Dec-13 17:16:48

Jaded, JADED!!! ARE YOU OK???? <bellows> You're not at sea level are you?

We've just had a 58mph SSW gust. No wonder the sea is flying over the railway track and right at the houses over the road, poor buggers. To be honest it feels like twice that strong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now