Weather warnings for the north.

(239 Posts)
OhYouMerryLittleKitten Tue 03-Dec-13 20:00:47

here primarily for gales/severe gales (gusts up to 80mph) but also for snow on thurs and friday. In parts of Scotland, esp the NE the combination could lead too blizzard conditions and severe wind chill. Take care.

siblingrivalry Tue 03-Dec-13 20:04:35

Thanks for the update OYMLK.

I am TERRIFIED of the wind and keeping checking and rechecking potential wind speeds.
I am in Durham -it's going to be bad, isn't it? sad

Yama Tue 03-Dec-13 20:04:38

Thursday looks awful for most of the UK.

I detest the wind. sad

ipswichwitch Tue 03-Dec-13 20:09:05

Can't get the link to work properly. siblingrivalry, I'm just outside Durham - it's always bad here isn't it!

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Tue 03-Dec-13 20:12:44

Sibling its not going to be fun I'm afraid.

Awful is relative. It's certainly going to be yucky, cold with rain, especially in parts of northern England and the midlands and gales right down to the south, gusting to 40-50mph. It's more Scotland and the very north of England where the conditions become more risky. Fortunately I don't think the very high winds will be associated with the snow, they come earlier I think but they look to remain high through out the period indicated by the met office warnings

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Tue 03-Dec-13 20:14:28

Don't know what the link isn't working for you Ipswichwitch. Google met office warnings and you'll end up on the right page.

ClaimedByMe Tue 03-Dec-13 20:16:41

I only just got my tv aerial reattached yesterday not looking forward more winds sad

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Tue 03-Dec-13 20:17:39

That's a poo claimed.

siblingrivalry Tue 03-Dec-13 20:18:09

Ipswich, I often feel like we have our own micro-climate here!

Thanks OYMLK. In your opinion (which I value -always read your threads) what kind of wind speeds are we looking at in my neck of the woods?

Thanks for taking the time to post on here-it really is appreciated.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 04-Dec-13 08:31:43

You are welcome sibling smile. I think you'll be looking at winds speeds peaking at around 60-70mph, unfortunately during rush hour.

I think that top speeds further north might reach 80mph, higher on exposed mountain tops of course!!

Some very heavy rain too, turning to snow in places as the cold front goes through. Looks like that will be about midday in your area though the main snow risk is for NE Scotland. Always a bit tricky to forecast though, so don't rule out surprise snow fall.

Then the cold front keeps travelling further south and its possible we might have a nice squall line develop, which would liven things up after several days of no weather down here.

Northumberland here (nn is pretty obvious I guess) - oh JOY! Wonder if this means I can persuade DS to wear a coat for school? smile

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 04-Dec-13 08:39:05

Good luck with that!

Perihelion Wed 04-Dec-13 08:41:56

We too have had no real weather for the last few days grin. Doesn't look like snow either for Edinburgh, just gusts up to 70mph, Which really is just a bit blowy compared to previous winter storms wink

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 04-Dec-13 08:48:40

Lol!! You lot are built for it up there (not suggesting you are all stout or anything! But your roofs don't shed tiles like confetti and your trees are sturdier)

HesterShaw Wed 04-Dec-13 10:45:17

Good luck, Northerners and Scots.

Hopefully the wind plus spring tide thing won't be too much of a problem.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 04-Dec-13 11:53:32

estofex have issued a level 2 warning for parts of scotlamd, mostly for wind gusts but also for the possibility of tornadoes.

oricella Wed 04-Dec-13 11:54:56

Warnings just changed to amber for wind for tomorrow.. o joy!

Love the headline in the Stornoway paper: Snow to brighten up darkest days - now that's putting a positive spin on things!

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 04-Dec-13 11:57:24

Worth noting the flooding risk for the east as well as the severe winds. What a horrid day its going to be for some of you sad

siblingrivalry Wed 04-Dec-13 12:46:46

Thank you for the update. I am a real wuss and so be having a sleepless night, I think. Take care everyone.

GloriaSmud Wed 04-Dec-13 13:02:43

I think the warning areas have got a bit bigger as we weren't under any warnings before and now we're under a yellow one for high winds. Netweather have gone for a red alert for some areas.

Perihelion Wed 04-Dec-13 16:05:35

Will report on the waves and the flappiness of the mutts ears on my dog walk tomorrow.

ClaimedByMe Wed 04-Dec-13 16:20:47

Lol Perihelion my dogs teats flap in the wind she also refuses to poop in inclement weather so it will be a fun few days for us!

We are hardy here in Scotland on the east coast quivers

HesterShaw Wed 04-Dec-13 18:31:10

mine do that

GloriaSmud Wed 04-Dec-13 20:55:49

Lol ~ perhaps there should be a scale that measures the flappiness of dogs ears in winds, some suggestions here for how it could be measured!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now