Snow Watch Part 2. Return of the Excitement!!!

(994 Posts)

Apologies to those in Norfolk who may well not be excited any more!!!!
This a continuation of This thread and is for model watching, forecasting and general excitement grin

Off to look at the models (and get dd up) back in a few minutes with latest thoughts!

Makinglists Thu 17-Jan-13 12:46:49

it actually snowed in Plymouth today - ok only a few flakes and didn't settle but enoug for the children to get excited - we are always the last place in the world to get snow!!!!!

Blameitonthedog Thu 17-Jan-13 12:58:19

It's snowing in Hereford!!!

will be able to give the full low down in a couple of hours.

mumat39 Thu 17-Jan-13 13:05:01

grin at the tenas!

None here yet.

nice cluster over Wales and the SW at the moment! my precip type radar app has keeled over though - must be the strain!!

tomorrow I'm at work all day sad sad sad Not very fair is it?? I should be here wittering on and on about it.

BionicEmu Thu 17-Jan-13 13:14:28

an aanyone shed some light on what conditions will be like on Saturday? I'm supposed to be getting induced early on Saturday morning - I live in north-east Derbyshire & will be going to hospital in Nottingham. My mum's supposed to be coming late Fri to look after DS, she'll be coming to us here in NE Derbyshire from her house just north of Stoke-On-Trent.

It's not looking good for either journey is it? <worried>

Ok - I'm in the North-West (Greater Manchester) I notice on the Met Office site that although we are on amber warning on the map. the tick box thingy that you get if you hover over the more information button is on the highest red tick box. confused are we on amber or red alert then?

bionic, got a friend coming round. If you can hang on til a bit after 3pm will let you know if noone else has jumped in by then.

you are on amber but part of your region is on red. means that you could get an awful lot of snow!

bionic- just had a quick look. It is a bit concerning with light but pretty persistent snow from friday on into saturday (might be snow showers rather than constant). Can you change things at all and move things to earlier in the day?

BionicEmu Thu 17-Jan-13 13:41:36

Thankyou, I'm just all hormonal and want this baby out! (Am 38 weeks but with high blood pressure & crippling pre-existing back pain.)

Will see if my mum can make it over earlier on Fri then. Am worried what the roads will be like early Sat morning for getting to the hospital though - we're fairly rural. All the snow that fell earlier in the week is still lying as the temperature has stayed well below zero all week. It's been a bit hairy driving all week as it is.

MooncupGoddess Thu 17-Jan-13 13:46:02

Ooh, London is up to amber - but only on the edge of the zone, so am trying not to get hopes up.

LillethTheCat Thu 17-Jan-13 13:50:13

Hope all goes well for you on Sat Bionic and the snow doesn't cause too much disruption for you.

mumat39 Thu 17-Jan-13 13:50:39

Bionic, is there any way you could just go and decamping Nottingham and get your mum to come to you up there. Also, as Kitten suggests, it might well be calling the hospital and seeing if they can squeeze you in. I really hope that you get there ok and everything goes well with the induction. Take care. Xxx

Megsdaughter Thu 17-Jan-13 13:53:23

Kitten any idea what it's going to be like around stone henge? Don't fancy driving to a remote village in the plain if its going to be bad over the next 24 hours sad

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Thu 17-Jan-13 13:53:28

Yay! We're finally up to amber warning!

Can I ask a question? Often 'they' warn about avoiding "non-essential travel", or only making "essential" journeys, etc.

I always wonder what they mean by "essential". Are there a bunch of people that just drive around for the fun of it? Or drive 30 miles down the motorway and back just for the view?

mumat39 Thu 17-Jan-13 13:53:58

Decamp. Not decamping.

Kitten, just watched the bbc news weather and on the southeast news it showed a few dark bits near chertsea where the snow just wasn't settling. D you know what those darks bits are?

We had our own little micro climate a couple of years ago with no snow when all the surrounding areas were covered.

Shame you have to work to Oreos, but I hope you get there safely and if the expected weather starts before you finish work that your company send you home early. Xxx

mumat39 Thu 17-Jan-13 13:55:46

To Oreos = tomorrow. Food on the brain me grin

LostInWales Thu 17-Jan-13 14:05:52

I am almost getting my hopes up, after 12 months of nearly constant rain we may actually get some snow! On the edge of an amber region according to met office but netweather predicting a 2% chance of snow for my postcode. I think I'll stock up on gin just in case wink. We are in a little microclimate here though with a river valley opening up into an estuary and the sea with it's little gulf stream thing going on, we can often see snow on three sides with none at all here. Fingers crossed anyway.

I hope everyone having to work or having a baby stays warm and safe and dry.

LillethTheCat Thu 17-Jan-13 14:09:14

grin Underwater at the thought of people just driving for half an hour for fun. Though wonder if birthday parties are essential, or visiting friends and family who are expecting you as you haven't seen them since Christmas

I was looking at the warnings earlier and Red means take action. What action does that mean? (Not that Im in red or know anyone that is, just wondering)

Roughly where in Kent are you Mumat? I am in the East and we seem to have some kind of teflon anti snow coating. I watch the radar and clouds part over my bit the join together after, most annoying.

GirlOutNumbered Thu 17-Jan-13 14:17:31

Lilleth Take action surely means PANIC BUY!

Sparklingbrook Thu 17-Jan-13 14:18:45

I have emailed the school and explained about DS1 the coach and the snow, and have had the most lovely reply back telling me not to worry. I love that school. smile

I still don't really know how much Worcestershire is getting and when though.

mumat39 Thu 17-Jan-13 14:23:48

Oops. I'm just outside Kingston upon Thames in Surbiton, not Kent. Sorry. Someone upto read said they had had a few flakes in Guildford which isn't too far from here.

BionicEmu Thu 17-Jan-13 14:25:23

Saturday was earliest hospital could fit me in - they only agreed on induction this morning. DH will be driving, he's usually pretty good at driving in the snow, he grew up high in the Peak District so had to be! We don't have a 4 wheel drive car though, so if there's lying snow and ice might be tricky - don't want to get stuck down a lane in the middle of nowhere! I rather suspect that DH will spend pretty much the whole journey swearing at other drivers for apparently not being able to drive properly in the snow though.

If conditions are truly awful I think I'll just have to call the hospital & see what they say.

Thankyou for the well-wishes, and good luck for everyone else who have places to be!

Normally I would be over-the-moon excited about snow, but now I have somewhere to be I'm not so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now