does anyone in Scotland give a shit about the royal wedding?

(192 Posts)
ssd Fri 08-Apr-11 19:18:11

I don't am sick of it already

Eglu Thu 28-Apr-11 14:40:04

DH was wondering this. He has decorated his shop a little bit, in a tongue in cheek way, but most shops in our town have done nothing. somebody did say to him that most shops in England are decorated.

I am not anti the wedding at all, just like others a bit meh about it. I am happy to have the day off work and be able to spend time in the sunshine with my boys though.

JemimaMop Thu 28-Apr-11 14:43:47

Can I extend that to Wales?

Apparently there have been no applications for street parties anywhere in my entire county. I don't think I know anyone who is even having a party in their house or garden. The DC haven't done much about it at school, and they are still on their Easter hols this week anyway. I am planning on using the day off to paint the kitchen and downstairs loo, although I might pop the TV on at some point to have a quick look.

Don't get me wrong, I wish them well. I'm just not all that interested in the wedding of two people that I don't know!

EdwardorEricCantDecide Thu 28-Apr-11 14:54:33

I can't wait but I'm the only person I know though, DH thinks I'm stupid grin

Aimsmum Thu 28-Apr-11 14:55:53

Someone in Scotland gives a shit, I saw a family buying loads of flags from a card shop in Glasgow this morning, although to be fair, they could just be going to a Rangers game!

NormanTebbit Thu 28-Apr-11 15:20:04

I don't know why I should care that they are getting married? Can someone explain in case I'm missing something? Why should I care?

What do you mean by 'SNP gets their way?' They are already in power in Scotland and it looks like they'll win again.

Gooseberrybushes Thu 28-Apr-11 16:45:39

Don't they want complete independence? Fingers crossed eh. That will be a good day.

expatinscotland Thu 28-Apr-11 16:48:34

'Glasgow this morning, although to be fair, they could just be going to a Rangers game!'

IIRC, there's an Old Firm match this afternoon.

Personally, I don't really give a toss about the wedding.

I also vote SNP.

NormanTebbit Thu 28-Apr-11 16:53:52

Do the Scots get to keep Balmoral?

<thinks about mortgage>

Gooseberrybushes Thu 28-Apr-11 17:42:21

Yes, you can have Balmoral and the oil, once you've paid us for the infrastructure.. fantastic.

NormanTebbit Thu 28-Apr-11 17:53:46

The infrastructure??? confused of Balmoral? Or the country? The tower blocks? ummm the mountains?

Can we keep Trident? Or would you like it on The Thames?

(Am English BTW grin)

MollysChambers Thu 28-Apr-11 17:59:27

"paid us for the infrastructure"

Hahahahaha

Twonk.

OP - I didn't think I gave a shit but DD's have been discussing in class and are now keen to watch so have bought some cake and we'll watch together.

magentastardust Thu 28-Apr-11 21:35:56

My dd had a royal wedding party at nursery today was very cute!
And for a change it's actually been a freakily warm April in north East Scotland-I know of a few people having tea parties and BBQs. Who knows maybe wills and Kate will pop up here to balmoral for a couple of days after honeymoon!

HumphreyCobbler Thu 28-Apr-11 21:38:32

there is a village party in my bit of Wales JemimaMop

scottishmummy France Thu 28-Apr-11 21:52:00

no interest in it at all.sycophants gushing and media clichés all day

Gooseberrybushes Thu 28-Apr-11 22:37:06

of the oil

did you really think I meant Balmoral? seriously? is that what you thought Molly?

Come on - really?

EdwardorEricCantDecide Thu 28-Apr-11 22:51:19

Didn't the Tories sell britains rights to the north sea oil in 70/80s?
That's what I thought could be wrong though.

Gooseberry - why so touchy about Scotland? - genuinely interested.

fairylights Thu 28-Apr-11 23:00:06

I am in scotland and am having a wee royal wedding party tomorrow smile
think basically I like having an excuse for a party and do also like the sense that the nation is coming together a bit (my dh would be rolling his eyes about now.) But we are in Edinburgh and it is full of people from the home counties as far as I can tell so I'm not sure thats very representative.

K999 Thu 28-Apr-11 23:15:58

Lol at most folk from the home counties! I take it you don't live in Leith, Niddrie, Muirhouse, Porty etc etc....

Perhaps you live in Morningside, Bruntsfield, New Town?? grin

Gooseberrybushes Fri 29-Apr-11 07:35:17

why so touchy? oh I don't know -- "who in scotland gives a shit?" maybe had something to do with it? if you see yourselves as so separate good luck to you, be orf

hormonesnomore Fri 29-Apr-11 18:42:03

Gooseberrybushes, I'm a Scot living in England and can understand the meh attitude of a lot of Scottish people.

To Scots, the royal family are very remote, keeping their distance. They are seen by the majority as belonging to another country but being supported by the taxpayers of the entire UK.

Not surprisingly, Scots (and possibly Welsh & N. Irish) don't feel as connected to our royals as English people do.

That said, I enjoyed watching the wedding hugely, to my surprise smile

expatinscotland Fri 29-Apr-11 18:54:27

Saw a couple of banners in Gourock. Nothing else, though. Meh.

Am not Scottish nor English. Living in Scotland.

GitAwfMayLend Fri 29-Apr-11 19:01:12

My aunt's partner's mum (Scottish) is convinced she is the only person north of the border who is interested in the wedding in the slightest - she is spending the day with my aunt and her partner in order to get in the swing of things.

expatinscotland Fri 29-Apr-11 19:06:44

I can't abide weddings, though I've been married 3 times myself, and each and every time due to visa issues on one side or another, otherwise, I'd not have bothered at all. Weddings mostly make me want to be sick, so I've eloped to registry houses.

Hopefully, my own children won't want to marry or will elope. I'll have to get drunk to deal with the schmaltz of it all.

scottishmummy France Fri 29-Apr-11 19:19:40

scots are different to english is that what you mean gBerry.

scotland has its own language,own parliament,own legislation, different degree education.

and in general scots dont much care for royal family,as borne out by general apathy to the wedding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now