Are you a Greyhound, Whippet or Lurcher owner? Come and have a seat on another new pointy hounds cushion!

(1000 Posts)
WhenSantaGotStuckUpACunnyFunt Mon 16-Dec-13 19:32:23

Pointy hounds include-
Greyhounds (Grunds)
Whippets (Whippys)
Lurchers
Italian Greyhounds (Iggys)
Salukis
Afghans
And any others I have forgotten. If you are a new pointy hound owner, an old and experienced owner or looking into getting one of these fabulous creatures, come and have a seat (that's not taken up with a hound ).

Share stories, advice and shopping tips!
AK Creations
Dog O Nine Tails
Doggy Bags Bakery
Kitsch Collars
Meggie Moo
Milgi Coats
Silver Peacock

Come The Day
Come the day I take that final bend,
Can I count on you to be my friend?
To see I’m treated just and fair,
It means so much to know you care.

For, what the future holds in store,
Now that I can race no more,
Should be addressed for every hound,
Who parts the punter from his pound.

Tell them I don’t ask for much,
A kindly word, a gentle touch,
Somewhere warm to lay my head,
A meal each day to keep me fed,
Not just life- but quality,
This is how it ought to be.

Do not see me swept away,
I long to live another day,
With peace of mind, tranquillity,
And those who care surrounding me,
So tell them all- you have that choice,
I beg of you to be my voice.

By Denise Dubarbier.

OnaPromise Fri 25-Apr-14 06:32:05

Just trying this out.

Hairy, I think I would seriously consider changing vets. sad

Roxy needs to see another vet urgently to investigate the bad breath - when it's that bad, she may well have an abscess or infection. Excruciatingly painful, and if left untreated it can go into nasal cavity, into bones of jaw or even affect heart/kidneys. Greys are particularly prone as a breed to teeth problems - any vet worth their salt will know this. A healthy grey will be able to have a dental under GA and this will allow removal of plaque (including under the gumline where pockets of it can attract bacteria and infection) and any teeth that need to be removed.

YY to getting a urine sample too, and if she's lost 3kg and let's say she was 24kg before - that's an eighth or 12% of her bodyweight - that's a hell of a drop. Usually greys gain weight after retiring - most vets would not want to see a pet at racing weight . Typically, they can gain a couple of kg over the course of a year or two, and look fine on that. I'd want that checked out, and blood work would be sensible as part of that.

Please don't leave these concerns unresolved.

mistlethrush Fri 25-Apr-14 00:06:55

I have been out with the dog in the evening for the last two nights. She has actually been running after rabbits (rather than just 'pointing' until they go down their holes!) She tripped over a branch last night - but seems to be fine today and didn't manage to hit anything today.

PeanutPatty Thu 24-Apr-14 22:47:39

CMOT MrBojangles is STUNNING!

I was lurchered by a blue whippet in my run this evening. Luckily she was tiny so no damage done!

moosemama Thu 24-Apr-14 21:07:06

Oh the black and white Saluki girl is gorgeous!

There are a couple of cat friendlies at Birmingham Greyhound Protection.

Have a look at these girlies for those on the hunt for a new dog smile

moosemama Thu 24-Apr-14 20:50:00

OnaPromise if you scroll down he page a bit to where you post, just underneath you'll see a bit that says 'Images (up to 6 per day) next to a box that says Browse. If you click in the browse box you can then look for pictures on your computer and click on open when you've found you want - then they will show up in the thread.

Alternatively you can add them to the photos in your MN profile and select which ones you want public and which you want to keep for named members only.

CMOTDibbler Thu 24-Apr-14 20:07:42

Pillow, have you seen Mr Bojangles on the EGLR fb page? Hes gorgeous and child friendly though it doesn't say about cats

OnaPromise Thu 24-Apr-14 18:28:46

How do you do pictures?

moosemama Thu 24-Apr-14 16:12:53

Hi OnaPromise, I still feel a bit like that and my pup is 10 months old now! grin

We love puppy pictures! [hint] [hint] wink

OnaPromise Thu 24-Apr-14 15:54:12

Hairy, I'd also want a second opinion

OnaPromise Thu 24-Apr-14 15:49:39

Hi there. We have just added a whippet cross pup to our family which already includes an ex racer. I'm too tired to type anything else...

mistlethrush Thu 24-Apr-14 14:18:25

I agree - loss of 3kg and sudden problems at that age seem strange.

PeanutPatty Thu 24-Apr-14 14:08:27

I would also be seeking a second opinion. Did the vet take bloods?

moosemama Thu 24-Apr-14 11:31:16

Ouch! cinnamon

HairyFairy I would seek a second opinion from a different vet. I've learned the hard way that often the owner's instincts are the best judge of whether something is up with their dog - trust your gut feeling.

I'd advise taking a water sample in for the new vet to test - just slide an old dish/tray or something under her when she squats to catch it - as it could be a water infection.

Bad breath - has the vet had a really good look at her teeth? Greys are prone to dental problems and the ones really far back are difficult to get to, so harder to keep clean and descaled.

My older Lurcher boy has his teeth brushed regularly, but has still developed a lot of tartar on his top back teeth. I'm currently using Plaque Off with both of mine, plus obviously regular brushing and having a gentle go with a tooth scraper (bought off ebay) 2-3 times a week. The tartar is definitely more crumbly and coming away in chunks since he started on the Plaque Off and his breath smelled better from almost the first day we put him on it, something to do with it changing the saliva, I believe.

That said, bad breath can be indicative of a wider health problem as well, so definitely worth getting a full check-up with a different vets.

Sorry you are worried HairyFairyFoof! If you've had her a year I doubt that her weight change is due to adjusting to home life. Mind have all gained anyway not lost. I'd ask to see a different vet. Has anything changed in your home? Work hours, bereavement, baby, child leaving home?

That's my knee mistlethrush sad she didn't knock me over but she is only 11kg. It was really hard and she obviously hurt herself too, she ran off to the side and has seem frightened of me since sad I guess she thinks I hurt her. We did another 3 miles after it and she ran off after a couple of rabbits but she's been quite quiet since we got home. She's eaten her breakfast fine and has been sleeping but I keep waking her just in case she could have some head injury. She's also hurt her paw but I think that's unrelated. She ran straight into both legs, I assume her head hit my knee as it's higher and her body hit my other shin. Poor little lady I keep saying sorry to her but it happened so fast I had no way of moving at all!

PillowPets Thu 24-Apr-14 11:11:37

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to tentatively start making contact with some of the rescues that I wasn't already aware of- hopefully, somewhere, there is the right dog for us, and we will be the right family for them!

HairyFairy- I am not yet a Hound expert, but would say that just trust your instinct that something is not quite right and maybe seek a second opinion if you are not happy. Hope she perks up soon...

Hello, can i join for a bit of advice please? I have a 6 yr old female greyhound named Roxy smile We adopted her a year ago and she is the most adorable thing i have ever known, but lately she seems a little 'off'.

She house trained very quickly but over the past couple of weeks she has been wetting her bed quite frequently. She is walked twice daily and let out into the garden at regular intervals but she seems to be favouring her bed!

Also her breath is becoming a real issue. It is absolutely revolting and smells like rotting fish. We brush her teeth daily with doggy paste, she always has fresh water and we feed her hypoallergenic food.

She eats very well and has on numerous occasions been found stealing leftovers from the bin [grin

Added to that the vet weighed her last week and she has lost 3kg, which i cannot understand.

The vet is unconcerned and says the wetting is a behaviour problem, the bad breath is nothing, and her weight loss is her body adjusting to home life after racing but im not convinced.

She seems to have aged very quickly and always looks sad to me. Im worried we're missing something or doing something wrong.

Can anyone offer any ideas or advice on what to do/try next? Starting to lose sleep worrying about her. sad

mistlethrush Thu 24-Apr-14 09:11:59

OW! (exactly where is that? hmm) Did she knock you to the floor or just into you?

Mistlehound decided to be particularly loving when I was helping MC with his lego after we got in from karate (its a complicated Technics one that just needs an eye kept on things as it would be a nightmare to try to work out what had been put in wrong when it didn't work when it gets finished, and I was sticking stickers on so that they were straight and flat) and stretched up and got her claws caught in my hair hmm.

She actually course several rabbits last night - close on their tails and skidding turns. She was flat out all evening after that!

Got lola'd!

PeanutPatty Wed 23-Apr-14 19:38:51

Another greyhound rescue is Birmingham Greyhound Protection. Dogs Trust also have a few lurchers in at the moment. However I would go with Lurcher a Link if we were ever to get another as they allow trial foster periods to see if you and the dog suit/match.

There are lots of videos online of cats kickin dogs off their beds! My first greyhound was an excellent racer but had been retired due to loss of keenness and my current one had 6 failed trial races and was then retired at less than 2 years old! Perhaps it's worth looking around for greys that have retired through similar reasons as both were fine with my cats instantly. Our local RGT don't cat test so you take a dog which you will perhaps return or will have a stressful time with which is not ideal. We took our whippet x on the basis that the rescuer thought she'd be ok judging by her reaction to chickens and while out on walks. She's very playful but not hunting at all, she also smaller so our cats were definitely less intimidated by her than the greyhound when first introduced.

stottiecakes Wed 23-Apr-14 12:18:43

Yes thats what i find strange, before i had the yorkie he would lay sleep sprawled out the length of his bed with his legs in the air but now for some reason since getting the yorkie and the new bed he insists in squashing himslef in a bed which is too small for him. He doesn't look comfortable but has the option of either bed. Maybe he just likes her to sleep on him and if he lays on his bed she will sleep next to him instead of on top of him. I suppose if he was uncomfortable he wouldn't do it

mistlethrush Wed 23-Apr-14 11:58:23

I know someone with two lurchers, including a bully one, who got a kitten - and the kitten immediately ruled the roost! grin

I think being squashed in bed - either that or completely sprawled out - is another sighthound specialty!

I find the 'hunting' thing interesting too - when normally out for a walk mistlehound spends about 40% of the time with her nose down (unless we're in a field with scary sheep when its more like 90%), scanning or looking round the rest of the time. When she's in hunting mode (her whole stance changes so its easy to spot when she's in it) she is looking around about 95% of the time. She normally keeps her head low when she is hunting - but will sometimes stand with her head up to get a better viewpoint. We can also help to show her things - sometimes even holding her front paws up so that she has extra height to be able to see something to chase.

stottiecakes Wed 23-Apr-14 11:52:13

Yes thats what mine do, she will sleep as close as she can to him all cuddled up. She wont sleep in her bed alone, instead for some reason he will get in her tiny bed and she sleeps on top of him, i dont know why they dont both get in the big bed and prefer being squashed in the tiny bed

This thread is not accepting new messages.