TENNIS Thread! The French Open is coming- will it be #RG10 for Rafa?

(1000 Posts)
Raahh Mon 18-May-15 16:19:01

or number 1 for Djokovic?

given recent form, things look less than great for Nadal-but he likes the big stage and slams are a different beast to other tournaments.

So- new thread to talk ( mostly) about tennis- though it's not compulsory.grin, and we all have different favourites and respect that others might not love our favourites as much as we do.

so...a week to go. May Murray be less tired, Rafa more confident , and a happy tournament be had by all.

Vamos

InDespair Mon 18-May-15 16:20:57

Whats up with Wawrinka?

They were saying today on eurosport he has some 'issues' off court but didn't say what?

Raahh Mon 18-May-15 17:34:58

I think he recently split up with his wife.

Mama1980 Mon 18-May-15 19:13:41

Found you Raahh smile
So excited for RG and of course I am team Novak all the way wink wink
Stan has just split with his wife, bit messy apparently.

Raahh Mon 18-May-15 19:24:23

I am in a and e with a suspected broken big toe.

I will not be paying this year-)

Raahh Mon 18-May-15 19:24:51

playing ....

Raahh Mon 18-May-15 19:28:03

definitely team Novak winkwink

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 18-May-15 20:41:52

Oh no, Raahh. What did you do?

Mama1980 Mon 18-May-15 20:45:45

Oh no Raahh, what happened? Are you ok?

tadpole39 Mon 18-May-15 20:55:05

Hi raah, hope tennis doesn't interfere with viewing of doctors! They will use any excuse to not show it, although I don't think they routinely show the other grand slams?

tadpole39 Mon 18-May-15 20:55:53

Hope toe is ok!

Raahh Mon 18-May-15 21:04:33

thanks everyone.

Toe is ok- just very swollen and black, but no fracture.

I tripped over the dog in the kitchenblush. I also have two lovely symmetrical bruises on my stomach where I landed on the corner of his crate/open door. And I took a chunk out of my shin.

Fortunately, it is my left foot, and my car is an automaticgrin

It's karma, because these are the sort of injuries I have secretly been wishing on Rafa's opponentsgrin

Although I am now Team Novak winkwink

Tadpole- it is at this time of year I end up with weeks of Doctors I have to watch in one go- although it does go off during Wimbledongrin
I had to watch Corrie in the waiting room. I never watch Corrie. Made Doctors look like high class dramagringrin

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 18-May-15 21:07:37

I've got about 3 weeks to catch up. Glad it's just bruised. Although no home visit for you, now.

DramaAlpaca Mon 18-May-15 22:25:38

Found you! Thanks for the new thread Raahh & hope the toe is better soon.

magimedi Mon 18-May-15 22:53:21

Is El Pot in for the French Open??

If so I'm for him.

If not, I am on team Murray.

InDespair Tue 19-May-15 17:57:50

Rublev v Cilic on eurosport atm.

loving the Russian, hes got a 1970s look about him. the hair!!

good match.

get better OP. tennis

Raahh Tue 19-May-15 18:42:36

Thanks, In- toe feeling better, but it really hurts if I stand on it the wrong way. Good excuse to do as little as possible. grin

magimedi Thu 21-May-15 15:38:08

For those of you who don't have Sky or Eurosport: (me included)

:French Open Tennis Live
Sunday 24th May on ITV4 from 9:30am to 9:00pm
John Inverdale presents live coverage from Paris as the 2015 French Open begins. Expert analysis from 2013 Wimbledon Champion, Marion Bartoli, two-times Roland Garros winner, Jim Courier, Andy Murray's former coach, Mark Petchey, Fabrice Santoro and former British number one, Sam Smith. Commentary is by Nick Mullins, with Celina Hinchcliffe reporting throughout the tournament.

And that seems to be the times for every day next week.

Nearly 12 hours of tennis every day - what bliss!!

Raahh Thu 21-May-15 16:21:37

magi- I don't mind the ITV4 coverage- apart from the adverts and musicians by the commentary box. grin And the best thing about RG is that it plays on 3 Sundays. Unfortunately, this year it coincides with all of the 2 week Whit holiday- so the dcs will be off and expecting to be fed, clothed and entertained, the entitled buggers grin

tennis

magimedi Thu 21-May-15 16:56:43

Lock the little buggers in a cupboard & give them bread & water - do 'em good & toughen them up!!

I am just so berluddy delighted to get coverage at all!

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Thu 21-May-15 18:08:44

Hopefully, they might put some of it on itv player afterwards. Otherwise, I'm going to just have to watch the scores again.

Mama1980 Fri 22-May-15 08:43:48

Morning all smile how's the toe Raahh?
Raonic has withdrawn from the French, says he won't be fit in time. A shame for him but I confess to a little thought of well that's better for Rafa. Though of course I want Novak to win wink
RG draw today.

Raahh Fri 22-May-15 09:51:45

My toe is feeling a lot better, I can walk on it now, which makes walking the do easier grin
Oh dear,poor Milos was that sincere grin

I thought he was cutting it fine, really. Still, any seeding outside the top 4 is not great for Rafa. Am nervously awaiting the draw. Will Rafa do that? The previous winner usually does, don't they?

Of course, since I'm team Djok wink , I'm confident of a good draw.

grin
tennis

Raahh Fri 22-May-15 12:45:53

Well- here is the draw

Draw

Rafa will meet Djok in the quarter finals, if it goes to plan. I can't see anyone who might trouble Djok on the way- Rafa could meet Almagro or Dogsbollocks/Mannarino/Dimitrov before the qfs.

DramaAlpaca Fri 22-May-15 14:28:44

Looks like Federer has the easiest draw of the top players.

Djok, Rafa, Murray & Ferrer are all in the same half.

This thread is not accepting new messages.