Are we ready for Mad Men tomorrow night?

(610 Posts)
Lighthousekeeping Mon 08-Apr-13 17:31:12

So excited. We're we starting to see cracks in the marriage last season? I hope we see more of Betty this time.

IdaBlankenship Tue 09-Apr-13 20:31:58

I only have Sky for this and <ahem> America's Next Top Model

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Tue 09-Apr-13 21:35:40

Ah it's whisky. Yummy

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Tue 09-Apr-13 21:36:43

God, I bloody love Americas next top model. How can we like both?? One is intelligent and classy and the other.....isn't.

IdaBlankenship Tue 09-Apr-13 21:42:28

Nooo Accidental, Tyra is actually really deep.. a modern day philosopher.... OK, OK I'm not even convincing myself!

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Wed 10-Apr-13 08:01:01

Ha! I've gone off ANTM myself. Maybe I am growing up, not like you immature loooosers.
(Might have to watch next season to check out the new judges though.)

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Wed 10-Apr-13 10:23:42

New judges <looks around> who, when, where?
I am currently hanging my head in shame that anyone knows I like ANTM (am very responsible and feminist in RL)

Anyhoo, back to Mad Men. Are we staying up to watch or sky plus sing and watching tomorrow?
I'm going to try and stay up (I'm an hour ahead of the UK) so will be a late one for me.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Wed 10-Apr-13 14:00:16

I have a five week old baby so I doubt I will get through a double episode until the weekend. Will come back to read analysis after!

Lighthousekeeping Wed 10-Apr-13 14:00:44

I'm beside myself. Just deciding if I need to get wine in or will it spoil my concentration? Don't forget it's two hours.

IdaBlankenship Wed 10-Apr-13 14:03:03

Accidental I'm a Guardian reading, lentil weaving, bleeding heart liberal in RL but I do love me a bit of ANTM.

But yes, Mad Men, I shall watch tonight - I read an interview with Matt Weiner where he said that this whole season is the answer to the question "Are you alone?" that the girl in the bar posed at the end of last season.

Hopefully we will have less Megan and more Betty - I'm loving Betty's new housecoat wearing, binging self as I always found her very hard to warm to (something the writers have done on purpose I'm sure), and I like seeing a chink in her armour.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Wed 10-Apr-13 14:37:22

I love Betty, she uses so few words and allows a silence to develop.
I love Joan, she's so sure of herself plus she's a visual feast.
I hope Peggy comes back to work with Don, I love their dynamic.
Bloody Megan with her zooby bisous bisous. Criiinge.

I feel deeply reassured that loving ANTM is not a sign of failed womanhood, even though I spend most of the time watching in like this hmm

NoseyParker4aHusband Wed 10-Apr-13 14:58:48

I used to love Mad Men, watched every single episode when the Beeb had it even though they screwed around with the viewing times so much (just like Damages). But we do not have Sky Atlantic so have missed the last series. I will have to try to find some way of watching it elsewhere sad. I totally agree with your comments on the women Accidental grin

IdaBlankenship Wed 10-Apr-13 15:23:13

At the beginning I really disliked January Jones and found her acting really static, but now I think it is actually a really good portrayal of Betty's brittle nature and her internalisation of emotions.
Joan is glorious and so tragic, when her capabilities were constantly overlooked at work and the choices she felt she had to make, always made me sad.
I think they'll find a way to bring Peggy back to Stirling Cooper Draper Pryce, as the dynamic between Don and Peggy was too good to lose.
Nosey - it is such a shame that the BBC no longer have Mad Men - their commissioning choices are a bit confused

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Wed 10-Apr-13 15:28:42

Yes, Joan agreeing to sleep with that awful man in return for a partnership when Don did such a great presentation they would have won it anyway. Don turning up to her house saying 'don't do it' and she already had sad

I love that Mad Men makes us think and work it out, I love it's subtlety. My husband's like this 'eh? nothing happens'

IdaBlankenship Wed 10-Apr-13 15:52:07

Exactly the same here! My husband doesn't watch it as he thinks its too slow and nothing happens. I think the beauty is in the slowness - my favourite Mad Men moment is a single look between Pete and Peggy when he has told the office that Trudie is pregnant - it encapsulated the whole of their history together in an instant - its on Youtube here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-g4m2OCkrk

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Wed 10-Apr-13 18:27:50

I agree Ida the beauty is in the slowness and the detail.
I absolutely love the casting too. Who else could have played Don and Roger quite as well as they do?

IdaBlankenship Wed 10-Apr-13 20:32:57

Oh man - how did I miss that it is a double episode? There's no way I can watch it all tonight grrrr angry.
lighthouse I think wine is mandatory isn't it? - MM is guaranteed to want to make you drink like a fish and start smoking!

Lighthousekeeping Wed 10-Apr-13 21:27:25

I have a Merlot but I'm scared as I'm up at 6 for work!! Damn, I thought it would start at nine.

IdaBlankenship Wed 10-Apr-13 21:34:07

Me too.. (the starting at 9 thing, not getting up with you for work at 6 - that would be a bit weird).
I have some Chablis, which is not very MM. I think I need to blow the dust off the Xmas spirits and see what I can find.

Lighthousekeeping Wed 10-Apr-13 21:43:32

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Sally is coming on.

Kneedeepindaisies Wed 10-Apr-13 21:58:15

It's about to start.

I am ridiculously excited smile

IdaBlankenship Wed 10-Apr-13 22:00:20

Wheeee!

Kneedeepindaisies Wed 10-Apr-13 22:08:20

She's still annoying then hmm

IdaBlankenship Wed 10-Apr-13 22:10:43

Wish I looked that good in a bikini though envy

Snazzynewyear Wed 10-Apr-13 22:11:50

Seven minutes in for the first ad break is taking the piss. <growls at Sky>

Kneedeepindaisies Wed 10-Apr-13 22:16:14

She is gorgeous.

And I agree, ad break is taking the piss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now