Strictly Come Dancing 2012 Thread 4. Sparkly and shiny and MAHR-VO-LOUS!

(998 Posts)
AndiMac Sun 18-Nov-12 13:01:44

Just starting a new thread before tonight's elimination, as I'm sure we'll all have something to say about that.

digerd Tue 04-Dec-12 19:30:49

opps " his head" - hungry and waiting for dinner to be ready.

digerd Tue 04-Dec-12 19:32:50

Karen Hardy is not OLD, Frankly??

AdesteFiderer Tue 04-Dec-12 19:40:04

According to the hallowed pages of the Wiki, she's the same age as Darcey Bussell. Maybe the other judges didn't want her.

<pointless speculation emoticon>

franklyidontgiveadamn Tue 04-Dec-12 19:41:50

Gosh - Darcy is actually older than Karen! I really thought she was sort of older well-preserved type, maybe it's the hair-do.

digerd Tue 04-Dec-12 19:47:50

Arlene was in her 60s, now 69.

RedZombie Tue 04-Dec-12 20:29:00

Perhaps they thought Karen isn't a big enough 'name' for prime time telly.

digerd Tue 04-Dec-12 21:18:47

Yes, that's probably the reason. Shame.
She is very bubbly, and knows her stuff - just what we need imo

ppeatfruit Wed 05-Dec-12 08:57:35

Sometimes Karen H annoys me 'cos she goes OTT and gabbles a bit maybe it's nerves but she was spot on about Lisa's dance yesterday. Morning all BTW!

AdesteFiderer Wed 05-Dec-12 09:25:55

True, she does a bit and it's all rehearsed, there always seems to be a rush to get through it all.
I think though the live show would be different and she would still be spot on.

Len seems a bit lacklustre these days, has he been US-ing it again?

Biscuitsandtinsel Wed 05-Dec-12 09:59:23

Yes he has been in the US but I think he said that DWTS is finished now so he's back. Hopefully he'll get a bit of sparkle again.

What did KH say about Lisa's dance? I sort of half watched ITT but was flitting in and out and missed some of it.

theliverpoolone Wed 05-Dec-12 11:19:54

RedZombie, when it first started, Len, Bruno and Craig weren't household names at all - most of us had never heard of them grin. Nor the dancers - now people like Brendan, Flavia etc are big names too (well, among those of us that watch Strictly!).

ppeatfruit Wed 05-Dec-12 11:44:38

Biscuits Karen H. said the lisa's shoulders were up too high and there was 'gapping' between her and Robin (i hope her partner is Robin!).

frankinsensible Wed 05-Dec-12 15:50:59

Xmas name change...

Previously the judges have criticised Lisa for 'leading' too much and Lisa said it was a false impression created by the fact that her 'front' fills up all the space. Perhaps if there was 'gapping' she has overcompensated (if I have understood 'gapping' correctly)?

Len has definitely been on autopilot- lost count of the times he's said "I thought you did a good job so well done!" Then again Bruno has been doing the same trip to US and seems to be on cracking form, def the best judge this series ( maybe they should be scored as well!)

ppeatfruit Wed 05-Dec-12 16:09:07

Yes you understood 'gapping' correctly.Poor Lisa she's damned if she does and vice versa hmm.

Len is no spring chicken he must be in his 70s and however much botox they have it doesn't help the brain grin

I was thinking they should change the judges about; like 2 women and 2 men one week or all different on another week, why not? it would be good for job sharing and or P.T. jobs. Yeah and as you say they could be judged too a brilliant idea!

frankinsensible Wed 05-Dec-12 17:05:53

Definitely need a refresh and good idea to change from week to week the only trouble likely to be, as discussed further up the thread, the increasing tendency of the audience to start booing as soon as there's any hint of a negative comment and screaming at every compliment.

Apparently Len is 68 - a year younger than Arlene.

digerd Wed 05-Dec-12 17:59:13

In ballroom hold - my sister is a teacher- and said the hips must be" glued" to each other. The gap was between the hips. She also knows Len, if not personally, and during one of the previous SCD had a rant to me about him giving somebody's tango a 10, when it had all the technical faults she quoted that I don't remember details of now !!! Probably heel leads.
She was going to tell him off next time she saw him, but chickened out!!

AndiMac Wed 05-Dec-12 18:16:15

I don't really like the idea of the judges regularly changing. By keeping the same ones, they can see the improvements (or not) of different celebrities and can also be consistent in how they are marked. I'm not saying they all mark fairly or consistently all the time, but changing people would change what judges were looking for or liked and that would be tough on the dancers.

frankinsensible Wed 05-Dec-12 18:17:55

You've chatted to her digerd? Were you in the audience? (sorry if I missed you mentioning it already)

Understand the gapping thing now but really that was the least of the problems with that dance which seemed a shambolic. I think the judges damaged her confidence with their reaction to her dance the previous week where I thought she displayed poise and seductiveness and smooth lines and all the stuff they go on about and then they pulled her to bits and told her 'it's not your dance' (subtext:'because you're too fat')

I feel sympathy for Lisa because she was obviously brought in to be this season's joke-fat-celeb intended to be dragged around and fired out of a cannon and torn to bits by the judges before being summarily booted out. It didn't go to plan when she actually displayed real dance potential even if there's not enough time to develop it.

AndiMac Wed 05-Dec-12 18:25:26

I disagree. On her other serious dances like the tango, they gave her full credit for a good performance. I agree, it just didn't look comfortable, never mind her size.

TheDailyWail Wed 05-Dec-12 18:29:13

I don't want Lisa to stop dancing. But I feel that her time in the competition is nearly up.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Wed 05-Dec-12 18:53:55

Watching ITT, lol at Robin having to hold onto his bouncing moobs during the Pro challenge.

digerd Wed 05-Dec-12 19:04:50

Lisa been on ITT tonight and admitted she made lots of mistakes last Sat.
Louis and Flavia doing my favourites RUMBA/ Argentine Tango Fusion dance.
Dani Charleston/Jive
Lisa Tango/Cha cha.

FRANKIN Don't understand your questions at the beginning of last post. No, I wasn't in the audience, why did you ask??

digerd Wed 05-Dec-12 19:08:42

Lady
I was worried about Robin as he looked exhausted and knackered.

digerd Wed 05-Dec-12 19:13:51

Big news announced that this year there will be 4 in the final??!!

Minichristmas Wed 05-Dec-12 19:13:59

I am worried about Robin, he does not look fit and well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now