Is it too early for a school run dress thread?

(68 Posts)
TheRealMaryMillington Thu 24-Apr-14 19:26:54

And are these

[[ www.whitestuff.com/daisy-pom-dress-prod407574_willow_grn/ exhibit a]]
exhibit b

a. horrible
b. mumsy
c. fresh and summery
d. it depends

Never usually look at White Stuff, its all a bit Abersoch for me but like these colours. FWIW I ould change the belts for a proper belt and wear with brogues.

Any better suggestions, esp for something a bit more urban?

Or indeed is the whole school run dress concept O.V.E.R.?

TheRealMaryMillington Thu 24-Apr-14 19:27:57

epic link fail

dress 1 www.whitestuff.com/daisy-pom-dress-prod407574_willow_grn/

dress 2 www.whitestuff.com/bella-dress-prod407576_ivory/

clarinsgirl Thu 24-Apr-14 19:30:48

What's a school run dress?

TheRealMaryMillington Thu 24-Apr-14 19:32:32

ah, see maybe the whole thing has gone away

is a dress you bung on for the school run/similar when you want to look ok but have been farting about in your shorts/bikini/house pants all day at home

casual summer wear

Floggingmolly Thu 24-Apr-14 19:33:07

God knows, clarins, but I doubt it's either of those hmm

thenightsky Thu 24-Apr-14 19:34:49

The bella one looks like a goer to me. Not that I've got DC that need picking up any more.

<old>

I like the look of both of those but would depend on the fit and fabric - WS stuff often v thin and droopy looking.

NachoAddict Thu 24-Apr-14 19:38:00

Never heard of a school run dress, the second one is nice in general but the first is mumsy.

TheRealMaryMillington Thu 24-Apr-14 19:38:03

why the hmm molly?

or this? www.peopletree.co.uk/womens/dresses/maggie-dress-in-blue-balloon-print

really just want an idea if these are any good. never been any good at casual

clarinsgirl Thu 24-Apr-14 19:38:38

Sorry, can't imagine buying clothes specifically for the school run. I wear whatever I'm wearing to work or whatever I've been wearing at home.

CuntyBunty Thu 24-Apr-14 19:45:28

I like the first one, OP.
hmm Is Floggings signature face, the real. At least 50% of her posts have that sour old face on 'em.

Don't like the People Tree one.

LovelyMarchHare Thu 24-Apr-14 19:50:58

Seriously, is this a thing? Who are you dressing for? Your children? Teachers? Or, God forbid, other parents? 55 quid to do a school run? The world has gone mad.

WhoKnowsWhereTheChocolateGoes Thu 24-Apr-14 19:51:31

I don't get the school run thing either, I go in my old joggers if I've been gardening or whatever, dresses are work only clothes for me. However if I was choosing for work I would put these in the category of a) horrible I'm afraid, especially the Daisy one.

LovelyMarchHare Thu 24-Apr-14 19:51:34

Seriously, is this a thing? Who are you dressing for? Your children? Teachers? Or, God forbid, other parents? 55 quid to do a school run? The world has gone mad.

WhoKnowsWhereTheChocolateGoes Thu 24-Apr-14 19:52:23

Missed the Peopletree one, I don't like that either, the sleeves are too big and shapeless.

CuntyBunty Thu 24-Apr-14 19:52:32

Well, no. I have a couple, but I'd also wear them in the garden, messing about on the beach etc. OP just means a one piece to pop on over bikini etc.

Oh for goodness sake - she just means a summer dress that is easy to put on in the morning and forget about.

Ruprekt Thu 24-Apr-14 19:52:42

The idea came about a few years ago from a hilarious, controversial poster called cod.

The idea was, in the summer, you would be mooching around in the garden in a swimsuit/ bikini and just pull on a school run dress to pick up the kids.

It was quite a phenomenon!!!!!gringringringrin

TheRealMaryMillington Thu 24-Apr-14 19:54:48

yes its a Thing (search old threads for detailed definitions)

but just shorthand for an easy summer dress

no need for the bosom-hoiking, most people wear clothes after all

LovelyMarchHare Thu 24-Apr-14 19:55:28

Ah, sorry, it was all a joke. Apologies.

TheRealMaryMillington Thu 24-Apr-14 19:56:23

in any case, could you answer my question? are these horrid or not?

(thanks for the frankness those who have - it's what I am here for)

TheRealMaryMillington Thu 24-Apr-14 19:58:12

no worries LMH -(but are they horrid? divided opinions thus far)

Bit mumsy I think.

The original concept was something that had straps wide enough to cover bra/bikini straps, and errr.. easy pull on style. maybe like a t-shirt/tank dress, in a breton stripe for instance. nothing too fussy.

maybe a cheaper version of this, pelona at anthro in case link doesn't work www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/clothes-dresses/4130084325523.jsp?cm_sp=Grid-_-4130084325523-_-Regular_3

maybe a peasant dress www.hm.com/us/product/27050?article=27050-B

tank dress www.hm.com/us/product/27590?article=27590-B

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now