MN Vogue Vol 6

(1000 Posts)
noviceoftheday Tue 05-Mar-13 11:21:06

All are welcome to chat style and beauty on this thread!

shopafrolic Thu 07-Mar-13 16:14:55

Just to let you all know I emailed the staff at Style Passport with some of the positive comments we'd all made about their website, shopping experience and staff. I thought they could do with some nice words......I got this email back.....

Hi,
We noticed this on Tuesday! Thank you so much for the boost of confidence.

We tweeted about you today - see attached. Thanks so much for the support too!

Best
Ruth

This is the tweet:
style-passport ‏@style_passport
Thanks to all of our friends @MumsnetTowers for your kind words about the staff. bit.ly/Wwjv4E #saveSP #funding

carrie74 Thu 07-Mar-13 16:36:06

Awww shop that was lovely of you to let them know, and with their response, it makes me feel even sadder for the staff.sad

shopafrolic Thu 07-Mar-13 16:39:13

I know! I just felt really bad for them all..... sad

Oopsblush, link fail earlier, meant this dress..<shudder> at thought of wandering around town in little top and opaques grin

Like the gold slingbacks Grumpy!

Re spending £300 at NAP, my choice would be Gucci halter neck, over budget (mais bien sur) but beautiful...otherwise maybe a pair of lovely heels?

FrugalFashionista Thu 07-Mar-13 17:08:15

Shop how lovely! I feel really sorry for SP. They succumbed just before everyone on MN started placing orders. They had such a fresh, appealing approach. I loved their style editorials and found them really inspiring. Given all the grim and dysfunctional websites out there it's really a shame that they went under.

Am very much entertained by from Mme Genevieve. She has quite definite opinions - an umbrella can be evidence of your refinement or the glaring proof of hopelessly bad taste. Oh and no diamonds before lunchtime and no truly elegant woman wears black in the morning. And "an overcooked epidermis is very aging". Recommended reading wink

McNally Thu 07-Mar-13 18:18:58

That was really thoughtful of you shop re SP. It is such a shame for them (and the customers).

Love Mme Genevieve's words of wisdom Frugal. Really should give more thought to my umbrellas. Reminds me a bit of a book I was once given - "Orchids on Your Budget". Think someone was trying to tell me something. Entertaining read though.

Lovely dress sleep. Should try VW dresses one day as think they're good for curves?

Very good on curves Mcnally - Nigella is a big fan.

noviceoftheday Thu 07-Mar-13 18:46:42

Shop that was lovely of you.

Love the scarf Decameron. Shop has one on her Pinterest board that I love as well.

Marsha,I know! I will never buy lk Bennett boots again. Look great rubbish quality!

shopafrolic Thu 07-Mar-13 19:23:52

Which scarf do you like Novice?

FrugalFashionista Thu 07-Mar-13 20:47:50

Novice for your next pair of boots try these people. Semi-bespoke boots, you can specify your ankle and calf width and boot height from a range of styles. I've got bambi legs and these are the first pair that really flatter my legs (no gaping, and tall enough). I've worn mine all winter, they look and feel fantastic (I chose rubber soles, and they are leather lined), are very comfy and go with everything, and no resoling needed. The kitten heel option might be what you are after.

Okay, a confession. Trying to be frugal on this thread is like trying to stay sober in a bar. On the way to the gallery (yes, I wore my slim bootcuts with my black Zara coat - half of the women here wear bootcuts now, normally pulled tight over high wedge/cuban heel/platform ankle boots so that just the toes and the tiniest sliver of heel remain visible) I had to walk through the shopping hell of this city and... thirty minutes later I owned a Red Valentino coat dress and a Tara Jarmon evening coat. (I found coat dresses/evening coats about two years ago - blame Marni - they are perfect for my current preferred mode of socializing, ie stride in, take a glass, mingle and chit-chat, and walk out again - all this on a cold/rainy/wintery night.) Both are fantastic, very attractively -50%, solve a lot of outfit dilemmas so I will wear them a lot, and need no new accessories, but that's beside the point. I was not supposed to buy them. So may have to go on hiatus sad

I love style and fashion but I want to repermutate outfits, not acquire new stuff. Everyone on a shopping ban, how do you avoid temptations, curb cravings and prevent relapses?

MarshaBrady Thu 07-Mar-13 21:09:04

Frugal! I really want to find some Tara Jarmon for SS, both sound lovely. <no help at all>

shopafrolic Thu 07-Mar-13 21:19:10

Get the sole breadwinner in the family out of a job Frugal that'll do it! grin

QueenCadbury Thu 07-Mar-13 21:19:14

frugal we don't curb cravings and prevent relapses grin. I said just yesterday that I was on a shopping ban yet today ordered jeans and trousers! I think the only way is to step away from it all. With online browsing it's just too easy to want and buy stuff. I once made myself go a whole month without online browsing but that was before I found s&b!

shopafrolic Thu 07-Mar-13 21:19:49

Purchases sound fabulous though - any links so I can drool?

MrsRadicchio Thu 07-Mar-13 21:32:48

Can't keep up with the thread!

Firstly, am impressed with your resourcefulness Marsha, it would never have occurred to me that the jeans might still be there. How great that you got them back!

Sleep I like your whistles top.

Loving the £300 fantasy NaP shop...I think I would buy this. I really like preen but they are out of my league. I loved a bright pink full skirt they did a few years ago. Inspired by En Brogue's post today, I would also quite like a pair of those sparkly jimmy choos.

Liberty the loafers are lovely, reminds me I have a pair of H by Hudson ones languishing in the back of the cupboard, I should dig them out.

Frugal it took me a while to realise your previous incarnation. I am not good at restraint and will power so find that not putting myself in the path of temptation helps. As I love a bargain, whenever I got sent an email with a discount code, I would use it...even though it was on something I had not previously wanted / needed. So I unsubscribed from all the sites and now I spend a lot less. Need to ban myself from ebay for the same reason.

I find pinning helpful for looking for outfits that I could recreate from my wardrobe, thus saving me from buying new stuff. And I do think shopping vicariously through others, like this thread, helps!

"Being frugal on this thread is like trying to stay sober in a bar"!!!grin

Since starting on this thread in Feb i have:

Ordered 6 pairs of jeans online
Bought 4 pairs of shoes
Spent hours on Pinterest
Bought 1 blouse, ordered 3 more online
Bought a Chan Lou esque bracelet from Etsy
Salivated in Selfridges shoe gallery
Bought a green coat....in the sale saving £260!!!
Etc etc etc

I'm an alcoholic and my names Drywhiteplease...............smile

noviceoftheday Thu 07-Mar-13 21:47:40

Frugal! gringringrin Thanks for the link to the boot makers!

Shop I can't seem to see you autumn winter board but its a print scarf on there. I would wear it with your cream trousers, your grey hobb tee or the pink pastel one and your French sole loafers, making the outfit about your accessories and your top and jeans the palette. Very me!smile

shopafrolic Thu 07-Mar-13 22:02:07

Aaaaah this one Novice pinterest.com/pin/122230577358081399/

FrugalFashionista Thu 07-Mar-13 22:08:08

Marsha Tara Jarmon is very you. Yes - definitely something for SS.
My previous TJ purchases have been useful for years - the evening coat is white, extremely simple and clean lined, has white python embossed leather detail near the collar (very subtle, just adding texture) and hidden buttons. All very minimalist (couldn't find online).

RED trench is the antithesis, a hyperromantic explosion of pattern but pattern is very this summer. Perfect fit - that's a really dangerous feeling - just right for Easter, cold and rainy summer weddings, etc etc. with the plainest possible sheath dress under.

Thanks everybody for input... I'm definitely a recovering shopaholic and need a very, very restrictive environment grin. Ladies you all are lovely but I can't stay sober here. I need a shopping ban thread or a 12 step program. Pm me if someone starts one. In the meantime, I can recommend the book "To buy or not to buy" - obviously need to reread it asap grin).

QueenCadbury Thu 07-Mar-13 22:11:56

After mrsR realising who you are frugal the penny's dropped with me too. Duh, better late than never!

noviceoftheday Thu 07-Mar-13 22:15:38

Hi shop, I like that one too but would style with dark tee and different shoes. It's actually this one that i was thinking of and now i have seen again I wouldn't have the French sole loafers (which I love too) but would have plain/tan.

shopafrolic Thu 07-Mar-13 22:18:19

Nice idea Novice thanks! Was actually thinking about Ebaying that one but tried it again today and couldn't part with it so soon.

noviceoftheday Thu 07-Mar-13 22:33:22

Oh that would be one of the last to go for me. I think it would go with so many things. Eg blue jeans and plain tee like this combo. Also I think I saw a cream jacket on one of your boards so would do cream jacket, plain tee, blue jeans and that scarf. <stalker alert>grin

libertychick Thu 07-Mar-13 22:44:32

grin at 'not so frugal' frugal! With the exception of TKMaxx and charity shops I don't allow myself to buy on impulse anymore. If I see something I like, I write it down or pin it and make myself think about it for at least 3/4 days. It's amazing the number of 'essential' buys that seem less appealing after that time.

Thanks all for the £300 NAP ideas - a relative has some credit with them she has offered me and I was going to top it up. The Preen jumper Mrs R has recommended is calling to me....or else as Foxy suggests some basics and a bracelet. And love the C&P Dec but I am holding out for sale time with them.

Dec I like your outfit for today, very chic
Novice shock at the LK b boots and resoling
Sleep - your lucky MiL, great cardi
Grumpy I always go shopping when DH is being a pain!
Shop lovely of you to contact SP - hope you are feeling better than you did yesterday and grin at you and Marsha batting off the DCs when wearing nice sweaters! DD caught her thumb in a cupboard door this morning and wrapped herself around me howling resulting in mushy banana on the GD dress smile. It's those situations that baby wipes were really invented for.

libertychick Thu 07-Mar-13 22:46:07

Bloody hell, now that I have posted that I realise I have gone a bit mad with the emoticions - probably a fair reflection of RL self though!

This thread is not accepting new messages.