MN Vogue Vol. 5

(1000 Posts)
shopafrolic Fri 15-Feb-13 13:32:10

A continuation of style and beauty chat. All welcome.

noviceoftheday Sat 16-Feb-13 16:15:09

Marsha make sure you don't leave it too late to get the shoes. Look what happened with my Helmut Lang cardigan! <Bitter>

Have a good time skiing sleep. I would need a whole new wardrobe for that smile

noviceoftheday Sat 16-Feb-13 16:25:23

I took delivery of this surprise gift about an hour ago from my lovely sil. grin

MarshaBrady Sat 16-Feb-13 16:27:32

Wow Novice! I rather like your sil too grin

I know on the Lanvin it's because I don't know what outcome of job thing will be and it's making me think about them too much. But am zipping it til I've ordered grin

noviceoftheday Sat 16-Feb-13 16:31:42

Marsha, I was having a wonder round Lavin on 2nd floor of Selfridges yesterday then thought to myself “what are you doing you loon??!!" and scuttled off quickly!

MarshaBrady Sat 16-Feb-13 16:32:48

Did you you could really do Lanvin am sure!

noviceoftheday Sat 16-Feb-13 16:40:14

Marsha, it always seems a level of chic way above me. I am trying to get out of my comfort zone so when the purse prises open again, I might look.

Thanks Pickled. I have a 4 year old too so have just done the scooter thing too. i think I just love cuddling a newborn. Dh is v afraid!grin

shopafrolic Sat 16-Feb-13 17:10:40

Thanks for the link Anni I think they are a bit too blingy for me, more the stripe at the heel than the toe cap though. I also think I'd like patent (for it's wipe clean with a baby wipe quality - essential with 2 yo DS!!). I did like those Dune ones so will take a look at them in RL although the last Dune pair I tried on didn't fit my in between sizes feet. Lots of lovely links to catch up on so need to read back once DS is in bed.
Marsha buy the shoes (free returns if job doesn't work out??)
Novice if only my BIL had such great taste and generosity! grin

shopafrolic Sat 16-Feb-13 17:13:43

Amber thanks for the R&B insight. Won't be going there then!

Marsha, the reality is you are going to get those shoes, irrespective of whether you get the job, and how gutted would you be if they sold out? Buy, I say.

Shop, MN Martin Lewis at your service.

Had a lovely evening out with DH last night. Wore Helmut grey tee, Freda leather leggings, black Zara blazer with zips, Pure snakeskin scarf and my Louboutin pigalles. Oh and Rocco, obvs. I really liked it, felt very me.

shopafrolic Sat 16-Feb-13 20:16:53

Outfit sounds great Martin grin

MarshaBrady Sat 16-Feb-13 20:40:06

Haha that made me double take. Great outfit Amber.

Ok am not mentioning but yes agree to all that you are saying.

QueenBOObread Sat 16-Feb-13 21:42:50

Novice I can't begin to say how green with envy I am at your spree and your SIL. I hope that took a little of the sting out of losing the Helmut?

Also envy of Amber's glammed up evening out. DH and I need a bit of that (she says, as she spends another Saturday night on t'Interweb).

I'm taking your wise words on board and returning the Ganni sausage dress, and will use the funds towards one of the things which has been on my SS list FOREVER (so definitely not a new, scatterbrained addition) - a pair of boyfriend jeans.

I tried on a pair of the Paige Jimmy Jimmys in my local QA today and LOVED them, so am trying to track them down for the most bargainous price.

I've managed to find somewhere in the States where I can save about £65 all in, but VAT won't be pre-paid (it's not a Shopbop type place) so I will have to faff around making the payment on arrival.

Has anyone done that? Will it take forever to get here? It's a decent enough saving to merit a bit of faff, but not toooo much....

I have just finished reading my way through Vol 4 - I feel like I am home...

grin I am lusting and loving and definitely going to be losing money over all these lovely pieces!!

Amber and Hopefully Your blogs are fab!! I am currently working on my wardrobe in Pin and will link once it's done smile

Sigh So glad I've found this thread!!

Gingersnap88 Sun 17-Feb-13 08:11:16

Bravo Novice! Sounds like an excellent way to celebrate (although my DH would have dragged me towards some geekery after 10mins!)

Very glamorous Amber, am looking forward to be able to have nights out again sans baby..

On another thread, someone recommended a blog all about flat shoes, called enbrogue.com - has anyone else come across it? Read all of it in bed last night with a poorly DD.

Can I pick your collective premium denim brains? I've fallen in love with a pair of Paige skinnies, I am a standard Topshop 12/30 so unsure if I should go for the 30 or 31?

noviceoftheday Sun 17-Feb-13 08:17:13

Amber, that outfit sounds fantastic!

QueenBoo, Gingersnapps* it was definitely a one off spree! grin I am however lucky to possess very stylish, glamorous and generous mil and sil. Over the years, mil has given me the most amazing jewellery and sil likewise with handbags! They're always check to make sure that dh properly spoils me for major occasions. grin It does mean I like to dress nicely when I see them and also getting gifts they will also like is always stressful as dh leaves that task to me hmm.

I am disappointed about the Helmut cardigan. This other Helmut kinetic cowl necked top turned out to be a disaster! Can't emphasise how bad I looked in it sad Straight down to the post office before work!

Welcome Blondiedollface! This thread is so addictive isn't it? Everyone links such beautiful things, from high street to designer.

shopafrolic Sun 17-Feb-13 08:21:05

Morning Ginger, morning all. I can't help with the Paige query I'm afraid but I'm sure someone here can!
I've just started to skim the enbrogue blog and it looks fab (and expensive!).
Off out for lunch today with all the NCT gang, thinking about Sashas with this blouse my Florettes and my camel coat
The sun is shining but it's freezing cold - not sure if this is a little too gloomy?

Hi everyone, just a quick tip off, there's a voucher in today's Sunday Times giving £30 off a £150+ spend in Liberty, valid til end of May. Could come in handy!

Gingersnap88 Sun 17-Feb-13 09:42:42

Shop that blouse is gorgeous. I'm so sad about Aubin & Wills, I discovered them late and now they are no more! I shall have to hunt eBay instead. The colours are lovely and so are the boots...

Yes, I've read en brogue before. I like it a lot, I naturally lean towards a flat shoe. It has made me bitterly regret passing up a pair of rose gold brogues in the R&B sale last summer.

noviceoftheday Sun 17-Feb-13 11:06:39

Shop that looks a great outfit! Esp love the camel coat.

MarshaBrady Sun 17-Feb-13 11:11:06

Shop I love that outfit, very chic.

Thanks Sleep! will definitely get ST today then.

Ginger I really like that blog, big fan of flat shoes.

Welcome Blondiedoll. What would you really like for SS?

I am in the garden today, it's really gorgeous. Need to get new wellies, might go for cheapos.

pickledsiblings Sun 17-Feb-13 13:04:41

Shop, lovely outfit, especially like the coat. How are the Sashas? My Topshop indigo Jamies look like a poor man's Sasha but 2% elastane vs 1% spandex. Actually the Sasha's look long in the leg which is not much good for me. I washed mine yesterday with a fiver in the pocket and it's now a lovely indigo colour.

libertychick Sun 17-Feb-13 14:59:35

Welcome blondiedoll.
Shop your outfit sounds great. I just spent the morning at a food and craft market, so good to be outdoors with the sun shining. Wore grey velvet monsoon skinnies, black woolovers cashmere/merino sweater layered over a couple of vests, H&M animal print scarf and brightened the look up with an old Dotty P mid blue denim jacket and pink supergas.
Ginger I recently saw that blog too and have bookmarked but haven't read it yet. 'I have only very recently started to buy premium denim and haven't tried any paige yet so can't help with your query.
Sleep thanks for the tip off - I usually do buy the ST but haven't today so will pop out later and pick one up.
Novice I can imagine getting gifts for your MIL and SIL is stressful but the reward is gifts like your bag which is fantastic!
grin at pickled's indigo £5

McNally Sun 17-Feb-13 16:24:04

My only Paige jeans are 29 Ginger. I'm a 12. Not sure what I am in topshop but they're quite small aren't they? I wonder if 30 might be a bit big for you. Is there anywhere you can go to try them?

Hadn't heard of that blog, but looks like a good one.

Amazing SIL gift novice! Must be great having such stylish and thoughtful ladies in the family.

Hi blondie!

shopafrolic Sun 17-Feb-13 16:25:06

Hi pickled the Sashas are good, and yes, very long which is why I love them. I think I should have gone a size down though as they do gap at the waist a bit. The knees are also lightening up a bit too quickly for my liking but that's probably because I spend most of m life scrabbling round on the floor after toy cars and trains at the mo!!
Nice lunch,lovely to see all the kids together again. Need to read through this thread in more detail when I have sometime. Sorry to anyone's posts I have accidentally ignored!

This thread is not accepting new messages.