A Crepey is not just for Christmas...

(1000 Posts)
oldqueencrepey Wed 30-Jan-13 08:43:47

It had to be done.
Phew that feels better.
Over here crepeys. All very welcome (but only if you're crepey).

CointreauVersial Sun 17-Feb-13 18:58:00

46 today!

Breakfast in bed from DH and the DCs (although I had to tear open my gifts double-quick as the boys were late for football).

A lovely silver and pearl ring and bracelet from DH (how fortunate that he spotted the turned-down page corners in the catalogue...hmm ), to go with the forthcoming perfume workshop, and a scarf and necklace from DM. Chocs from the DCs.

I have done sod all all day (I was contemplating some gardening but couldn't be arsed). And now we're off out to dinner.

Blackduck Sun 17-Feb-13 19:03:51

Happy Birthday CV glad yours was a vast improvement on mine... grin

hattymattie Sun 17-Feb-13 19:08:41

mrs s hope you're feeling better. We've got through industrial quantities of Lemsip this winter - I've even converted French husband. By the way my DH equally useless for birthdays cointreau - I could leave a catalogue in front of my DH open with gift circled and he still wouldn't get the hint.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 17-Feb-13 20:21:42

Happy Birthday CV.

I have gone back to bed now. sad

Cremolafoam Sun 17-Feb-13 20:58:51

Happy birthday CVthanks
AND happy belated Mrs S

motherinferior Sun 17-Feb-13 21:21:53

For the first birthday I had after taking up with DP I got nothing...except a positive pregnancy test, which was A Bit Of A Shock.

motherinferior Sun 17-Feb-13 21:51:45

Happy birthday CV!

CointreauVersial Sun 17-Feb-13 22:42:35

Hope you feel better soon, MrsS.

And if you are forced to struggle out of bed to meet with AB tomorrow, make sure you give him your cold. With knobs on.

Blackduck Mon 18-Feb-13 09:03:13

MrsS here's hoping you are tucked up in bed with a nice drink and a good book and sod work....

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 18-Feb-13 16:03:19

Came home at lunch time as temp started to go up again, had nice sleep. Now having a lem sip. Feel very odd - have absolutely no energy and feel like I did when I had glandular fever years ago.

Blackduck Mon 18-Feb-13 16:10:15

MrsS take it easy - listen to your body!!!

Spent the morning with my father putting the National War Museum right - and spent afternoon re kitting ds after two laaaaarge glasses of white....

Cremolafoam Mon 18-Feb-13 20:01:27

Oh sympathy Mrs S. if its the same wretched thing I had Im v sorry for you. Heavy limbs weepy blurry eyes temperature etc.
Décontracté un peu!thanks

motherinferior Tue 19-Feb-13 19:37:25

Oh dear. MrsS, I do hope you feel better soon.

I have had a rather spectacular day during which I discovered I have made a fuckup faux pas which will cost Rather A Lot Of Money to repair. (A photoshoot that went wrong. There is stuff I never, ever knew I was meant to do in connection with this. Never. Ever. Nobody told me. Eighteen months down the line, though, I merely look like an imbecile.)

A question, mes amies crepusculaires. If a friend, totally hypothetically you understand, was possibly going to be doing some work on a hypothetical relaunched women's mag, a fairly thinky-read-y mag targeted at women who're capable of reading a few paragraphs strung together; not a seriously Intellectual magazine but one taking an intelligent look at those things like friendship/sleep/happiness/how we 'tick'....what sort of thing would you be wanting to read? And if you don't read women's mags at the moment (or only as an entirely guilty-snack pleasure) why not? Is there stuff you'd like to be reading?

Entirely hypothetically, obvs.

Cremolafoam Tue 19-Feb-13 20:31:28

I weaned myself off magazines to save cash about 10 years ago but now when I pick one up I do mostly feel somewhat alienated from the content - perhaps I'm just looking at the wrong ones.
Stuff I like to read about:
Putting outfits together for my body shape and age that's relevant to what can be bought currently.
Room transformations on a budget.
Weekly meal planner ( fresh from naice ingredients) with modern ideas and divine pictures.
Allotmenteering.
Eco politics articles
Developing your career after 40.
Loving that programme about small spaces with George Clark - something along those lines??
Solid book reviews and suggestions within genres.
Proper DIY articles( not decorating a Poundland mirror with shells FGS)grin

Ill shut up now. Maybe all that exists somewhere but I don't know ?

MrsSchadenfreude Tue 19-Feb-13 21:29:30

I am back in the land of the living and spent the day interviewing (interviewer, not interviewee).

It is easier to say what I hate about magazines. grin

I hate the "look for a lifestyle" articles beloved of GH where "Lucy and her Stockbroker husband gave up the rat race and bought a bijou 8 bedroomed cottage in the Cotswolds/Cornwall, where Lucy has taken up macrame/tatting/insert useless craft of your choice here, which she sells on line..." I want to stab Lucy. It is never a single mother who works full time and lives in a grotty flat in South East London with unsociable neighbours.

I hate meal planners, which assume you have all day to shop and ponce about looking for obscure ingredients, rather than coming in late from work yet again, to find that there is no milk, and the only ingredients available in the cupboard mean that you can have either the Meal of Last Resort (tuna pasta bake) or a take away.

I don't want to see room transformations that require an architect, an interior designer or anything from Osborne and Little.

I would like an occasional, well written short story, not a la People's Friend, but something a bit dark and thought provoking. Book reviews and suggestions are good. I'd like to read about normal careers, not people earning megabucks or someone's little job, but stuff like most of us do. Fat Fashion, provided that nothing is made from polyester, comes from the Fat Shop (Evans) or is simply voluminous amounts of fabric "accessorised" with a large polyester rose and large (enormous) beads and a haircut that looks like a helmet.

Travel, focusing on a region/place and what to do. I don't give a fuck if Gillian had a lovely all-inclusive in Lanzarote that cost her an arm and a leg, but the food was delicious. I don't want to know.

Health and happiness, yes. A good article about wine - regions/grapes etc. Not simply where to get the cheapest Sav Blanc. And similar on food (I mourn the passing of "Fromage Gourmand.") Friendship and how friendships change as your life progresses.

Does that help?

Cremolafoam Tue 19-Feb-13 23:55:49

Mrs S you put that much better than I did. Lol
Esp regarding kazillion pound revamps and girls called Camilla who make a living fabricating yogurt.
Or those gamin types whose daddy bought them a fucking fripperies shop. Boke.

rubyrubyruby Wed 20-Feb-13 07:07:35

shock
Is this what I'm missing?!
I never read women's mags, except in the hairdressers when the only other option is to look at myself in the mirror for a few hours.

hattymattie Wed 20-Feb-13 07:28:15

Well - pretty much like Schadenfreude. I do like looks for body shapes though and makeover stuff How to put your make up on if you're beyond help. Like decorating for normal people. Hate crafty stuff (probably jealous of aforementioned Camilla).

I like the Marie Claire articles on women in the third world etc. Also maybe a bit of science/Geography. Art and Culture

Like book reviews - also there is a magazine where somebody well known choosed books that mean a lot to them - like this - a sort of Desert Island Discs with books.

Travel - but as Mrs S says - proper travel with proper information that real people can afford.

Don't think my sort of magazine exists hmm. Did have a very happy afternoon in the hairdressers though with Paris Match/Elle combos - am up to date with the gossip now.

Mrs S - how to you say "avoid helmet head" in French - it was exactly what the woman next to me had. Happily I have a sort of Emma Watson thing - although unfortunately not the gamine features to go with it!

alto1 Wed 20-Feb-13 15:41:12

Another one who gave up on magazines, not just to save money but because they are so unsatisfying.

Going back to the LRB, having been reminded wink why I loved it so much. Want to read thoughtful articles which are long enough to develop arguments properly.

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 20-Feb-13 17:35:12

I go to Tchip, Hattiemattie, and they do a damn fine job - 56 euros for highlights, cut and blow dry, but they do have definite ideas about how they want to cut your hair. No helmet head, though, and they avoid that 1980s/1990s sculpted immoveable hair look that is much beloved of French hairdressers.

hattymattie Wed 20-Feb-13 18:29:42

Wow - that is good - I paid 82 in my local Franck Provost for the same.

motherinferior Wed 20-Feb-13 18:42:59

Many thanks. Keep 'em coming. My hypothetical friend thanks yougrin

motherinferior Wed 20-Feb-13 18:44:01

Am loving the Paris haircut chat grin

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 20-Feb-13 18:55:37

82 euros is not bad!

I am in an utterly foul mood and have barely held it together this afternoon at work. I didn't even get an interview for a job I thought was perfect for me. Just an illiterate letter of rejection. I left early rather than running round the office shouting "Cunts! The whole fucking lot of you!" at the top of my voice, and smashing things, which was the alternative. We are definitely coming back to London in the summer now, and now have to go through the palaver of sorting out schools for the girls and giving notice to the tenants.

Cremolafoam Wed 20-Feb-13 19:51:32

Oh mrs s you are really coming back to the uk? < gives up dream of Paris meet up >

Also loving paris haircut chat. I had a 'brushing ' last summer and was very impressed that the chap actually did proper brush styling and was not as reliant on a pair of GHDs as his uk counterpart. Felt swooshy after instead of ironed.

This thread is not accepting new messages.