M N Vogue vol 3

(1000 Posts)
shopafrolic Thu 18-Oct-12 22:09:57

A continuation of style chat for anyone wanting to talk fashion, new purchases etc.....

Hope you find your way back to us Dona!

mignonette Mon 26-Nov-12 18:31:20

Hopefully

A dress with an interesting neckline or an accessory such as a dramatic necklace/collar would be good for sit down occasions where you'll be 'on display' from the neck up for a great part of the evening.

What budget do you have? Pending an idea of that, here are few of my finds....

I love this 3:1 Philip Lim but it is quite pricey for such simplicity -
www.mytheresa.com/en-de/draped-shirtdress-with-paneled-lace-trim.html

here is a Rag&Bone Grecian style in black with a higher and interesting neckline

or you could trust Helmut Lang with bodycon here

and here is an Alexander Wang bodycon in purple-

Or Diane Von Furstenburg in deepest pink and long here....

Or go sequinned here with Alice & Olivia

This here is not body con but i like it

and this Karl dress here is super glamourous

www.net-a-porter.com/product/321571

or this coated Michael Kors bandage dress here

This is my party dress -http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/198718

and I've earmarked this day dress from Theory -https://www.cocosa.com/Sale/Product/?pid=39064&sid=17051

We spent a few days in Leeds this weekend having decided not to do the drive in one day. We were rather taken aback by the choice of graduation outfits by many of the females. I tend to regard graduations as solemn academic events and never have I seen so many inappropriately dressed people wearing outfits that looked more suited to either a prom, a club or a street corner.

One girl was in a long black strapless evening dress, breasts hoiked up until they were overflowing, with two front splits to the crotch (and we were treated to flashes of her barely-covered-by-her-pants pudenda!), hundreds of them were in stripper shoes that they could barely walk in. There were plenty of evening 'prom' style gowns-strapless etc, sequinned bodycons, evening dresses with fake tanned legs, stripper shoes, trowel loads of make up and 'evening hair'...Words failed me. It was a true cornucopia of very very bad style choices considering what the event was.....shock

Saw one girl wearing truly cool dark pink punched leather Brogues and another in a Helmut Lang style knotted hem dress but hardly anybody dressed in what I would call 'appropriate' day wear. Spoke to the dean and he said he was considering issuing a guidance sheet regarding the nature of the occasion for next years event considering that knowing how to dress appropriately is a pretty useful life/employment skill.

Otherwise, I love Leeds. It is a seriously beautiful and atmospheric city. We walked around the Victorian Arcades at 11 p.m and because they were deserted, we could properly appreciate the architecture. Stopped off at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park on the way home too.

shopafrolic Mon 26-Nov-12 20:17:40

Mignon the Philip Lim is divine. If only I had A. A party to go to B. Enough money to buy it!
I've never been to Leeds but remember inappropriate clothing at graduation ceremonies in Manchester only too well!
I've been seeing all the magazines recommending sheer evening dresses after the Twilight premiere. I dread to think how badly this could go wrong in clubs and bars around the country grin
I still don't dare to wear the camel coat with all this wet weather. I want to buy a roll neck sweater to wear with it. My go to colour choice would be black but as a newly diagnosed Autumn I'm not supposed to go there. Any other colour suggestions welcome - brown feels too dull? Perhaps red?
I bought myself some brogues with my Jones vouchers (on my AW board on Pin). They look good with my deep red chinos. I have always been wary of brogues in the past, how to wear them without looking too masculine (short hair doesn't help in this instance).
I also bit the bullet and ordered the Hobbs pug tee. There was 20% off so it was rude not to!
Plans last weekend all cancelled due to horrid cold. Fingers crossed for colder, sunny days so the coat can come out.
Waves to all
X

mignonette Mon 26-Nov-12 21:32:44

Hopefully and hope you will soon feel better-Here are my suggestions of colours to put with Camel -

Pale duck egg, ice and airforce blue, cold raspberry and burgundy, purples in the colder indigo spectrum, navy, creams, primrose yellow (a cool yellow, not warm) and buffs (think Burberry raincoat buff), Ochre, marl grey (not dark) and metallic greys...I think I posted a link to some of my pins that showed camel clothing worn with unusual shades earlier on this thread.

Maybe the Brogues and chino's would look especially lovely with a lace edged blouse worn under a sweater so the lace edge peeked out underneath? I also think pale shell pink or ballet slipper pink looks good worn with red and burgundy so maybe look out for a washed/faded effect sweatshirt or slouch sweater in one of those shades and wear with a feminine print scarf or that lace or crocheted bordered blouse/top?

Could you get your coat scotchguarded? Do they weatherproof woollen coats? I know what you mean as I have a cream cashmere blend single breasted winter coat that is a few years old. I hardly ever get to wear it because 1) I am not a glamorous 'cream coat' type and 2) the combination of road grit, salt, mud and rainwater thrown up by traffic along our narrow Victorian and Georgian pavements would ruin it.

I disliked Kristen Stewarts premiere dress- I am a pretty covered up dresser so would not wear anything like that. Glad that Hollywood broke out of its usual misogynistic pattern of behaviour and dropped Rupert Saunders instead of her from the next Snow White film. She was, after all, little more than a naive adolescent whereas he is a mature man who should have exercised some restraint. I do feel sorry for her. So young and too much attention....

shopafrolic Tue 27-Nov-12 09:34:47

Thanks Mignon I'll take another look at those camel Pins again. I think I'll have to play it safe with marl grey or perhaps try airforce blue as the cooler tones aren't supposed to work wit my autumn colouring (still finding my way with my colours.....)

I like the idea of a lace or crochet bordered blouse with chinos and brogues so am now on the hunt for a blouse with a lace collar of some description. There seem to be plenty around but all acrylic so far.

I rather like this embroidered collar but it's the wrong colour:

m.reiss.com/womens/tops/aimee/ink/

A sweatshirt or box knit is something that is missing in my wardrobe. I've had my eye on this for a while but it may be a little too pink?

m.reiss.com/womens/knitwear/cate/dusty-rose/?q=Sweatshirt

I also like this but can't decide on colour......

www.frenchconnection.com/product/77XC8/Ditton+Sweatshirt.htm

Am off to the dry cleaners this morning so will ask about protecting the coat - this rain feels as though it's here to stay.

I meant to ask Mignon did you ever see those tree bark shots I posted on my Mumsnet profile? Not the best way to view but they are there if you're still interested.

mignonette Tue 27-Nov-12 11:26:59

Sorry Shop - I meant to add your name to my previous post on colours to wear with Camel after wishing Hopefully better.

I like the grey marl and the techno pink FC sweatshirts to go with the Chinos as both shades look really good with dark red. That Reiss is really feminine yet has that urban look that can be softened or hardened according to accessories.

Have you a haberdashery store nearby? I can buy lovely lace or beaded collars at mine which you can either lightly sew onto any kind of top or just add ribbon ties to and wear on their own. V W Rouleaux sell them online and John Lewis haberdashery is amazing-truly old school in service and the skill levels of the staff.

I can't seem to click onto your profile, Shop and would love to see those pictures.

shopafrolic Tue 27-Nov-12 13:19:03

If you're happy to PM me your email address Mignon I can email them to you?

MarshaBrady Tue 27-Nov-12 13:55:17

Oh gosh I love those links Shop and Mignon.

Shop love the pink and yes would look fabulous with dark red. I have a blush pink one which looks best with dark red V Bruno skinnies. Although I didn't get the right size grr and they have a tendency to get too baggy.

Mignon love your dress. Am so green that you have that Rag & Bone one! I have been eyeing that up for ages. Love it! And the Philip Lim is divine.

I haven't bought anything for while, have hit a bit of a lull.

Was so interesting to see people from 10 years ago am still thinking about it. I really had the feeling I 'got out', as does dh (he does his own thing now and not employed which is better for him and he is happier too). I developed two different work things which are much freer and nicer than that of ten years ago. So pleased, would never want to go back to it.

I might start pondering sales shopping items.

MarshaBrady Tue 27-Nov-12 17:08:15

Gorgeous suggestions to wear with camel. It's making me yearn for a camel coat!

Blimey at graduation outfits too.

shopafrolic Fri 30-Nov-12 09:33:58

Well the Ditton sweatshirt arrived from French Connection and is going straight back. It is incredibly thin fabric with 3/4 length sleeves and not what I was hoping for at all. I wanted the body of it to be sweatshirt weight fabric. Never mind. Still waiting for the dusky pink Reiss one to arrive.......

mignonette Fri 30-Nov-12 09:48:16

What a shame. Have you tried Uniqlo or Gap for sweatshirting Shop? They have always washed well for me. I wear a Uniqlo in bed to read and slop about in. They are comforting and if you get a size larger and do the Flashdance off the shoulder thing,it won't destroy your sex life smile.

Am lazily still in bed watching Housewives of NYC'-new series is jaw droppingly badly behaved. I'm trying to recover body and soul after a grim few months. I have been invited to write a short article on a little known biscuit with historical origins in the town for a local paper and am pretty excited about that and what it could lead to. I maybe need to think about P/T nursing but am stricken with guilt about my client list if I do that....

Anyway am off to Sardinia the second week of Dec for 3 days and need to plan what to wear. We are staying in Alghero old town with a family we know there which is lovely as we have a view of the gorgeous tiled church roof from our window and can lie there listening to the campanile bells...What to wear.....?

We are not flying RyanHell any more after the last flight when this gentleman placed a briefcase on the seat next to me then wandered off towards the front of the plane. When I told the stewards that there was an unaccounted for unattended bag they did not care, insisted that the flight not be delayed to enquire after it. Only after several people got very angry did they make an announcement. They were actually going to fly with an apparently abandoned bag on board....[shocked]. Anyway the guy was reunited with his bag but the security implications put me off for life. So we are flying to the south of the island via another scheduled airline and having a lovely scenic drive up. Which is no hardship...

mignonette Fri 30-Nov-12 14:07:30

US Elle has feature on the cool collaborations between Target and American designers in Decembers edition. Rag&Bone have designed a flask with four shot glasses with their logo moulded onto the glass which looks better than it should for $50, Derek Lam has a skateboard and Jason Wu has designed a set of glass tree ornaments with a black lace pattern/applique on. The best of the lot is Thom Browne's black blazer with white corded lapels and pocket edging for $129.

Definitely worth a look if anyone is headed there or had friends going to the USA.

I see Valentino Garavani has lace espadrilles out for a snip at $475. I'll have two pairs for gardening in I think!

I saw this competition with Madewell on pinterest that looks fun-

pinterest.com/elle/mix-well-with-madewell

You have to style a holiday outfit on pinterest using 5 Madewell pieces.

mignonette Fri 30-Nov-12 14:07:50

pinterest.com/elle/mix-well-with-madewell

MarshaBrady Fri 30-Nov-12 14:18:35

Hey hey Mignonette. Glad you are taking it easier now. Your holiday sounds gorgeous. You'll need loads of warm things. Cosy and comfy.

I am doing a whole lot of 'life admin'. Replying to party invitations, doing bookings for holiday, emailing some work contacts. Rather satisfying to tick loads of things off a list.

Shop ah that's a shame, also how about American Apparel. And the Reiss one looked great.

I need to start thinking about an actual summer wardrobe in the depths of winter at some point for holiday.

MarshaBrady Fri 30-Nov-12 14:19:00

And love the sound of the biscuit article!

mignonette Fri 30-Nov-12 17:42:05

Thank you.

My Laptop has just blown up its screen- the pixels appear to be melting off the lower part of the screen so will have to now 'waste' money on a new one. Trying to type with a psychedelic display flashing across the screen!

mignonette Fri 30-Nov-12 17:42:35

How many times did i type the word 'screen' in one post?!

Bonsoir Fri 30-Nov-12 18:03:56

Hello smile

Is it as freezing everywhere else as it is in Paris? It is just horrid today - my eyes are sore from being outside in the cold wind. Or perhaps from not getting enough sleep. Or both. I feel like hibernating but in fact have a really busy social weekend ahead - a girls' lunch tomorrow for a friend who has come up from Geneva for the weekend, drinks at a friend's house tomorrow evening and then dinner out, a big family brunch at DP's aunt and uncle's on Sunday (for which homemade cake is required from me)... both DSSs are out at parties and of course usual tutors/tennis lessons/gym/homework to fit in. I feel like running away! I impulse bought a navy down coat on the way home from the market this evening and it was definitely some sort of reaction to the stress of the cold and way too much activity.

I am very envy of people off on holiday in balmier climates, though I am sure it is amply deserved!

mignonette Fri 30-Nov-12 18:08:41

It is so cold here too. Am in major hibernation mode. Have to have Sunday lunch with 20 members of family and stepmother at the place where we had my Father's wake. Personally speaking I would rather never see the place again but StepM wants a family meal for some reason so we have to go.

So will wear deepest black I think!

Bonsoir Fri 30-Nov-12 18:21:03

I'm going to light my Diptyque candles to make the apartment seem cosier and I have just put the potatoes on to make mash to go with the slab of salmon I am cooking for supper. DP is picking DD up from her painting and drawing class this evening, so I luckily don't have to go out again. It's a mixed blessing in a way because the atmosphere at the studios in the Musée Nissim de Camondo, where the class is, is really great on a Friday evening - all the children are relaxed after painting and excited to show their parents what they have done, and the teacher is beyond lovely. Oh well - DP gets the benefit and his week has been hard so he deserves it.

mignonette Fri 30-Nov-12 18:25:52

You have painted a lovely picture of your family life, Bonsoir. Have changed into slouch grey marl sweatshirt Grandad top from Uniqlo belonging to DH and faded red/cream pinstripe long John style pants plus thick cream wool sock/boots. All set for a night in with the psychedelic 'disco screen' of my broken laptop!

Watching Real Housewives of NYC. DH has gone to his company Christmas evening out and no doubt it'll get real ugly so will endeavour to be asleep in bed well before his return. I expect the drunken declarations of how wonderful life is since he met me will no doubt be loud and slurred enough to awaken a corpse though. Would be vaguely disappointed should he not make these drunken comments!

Bonsoir Fri 30-Nov-12 18:37:35

Thank you smile. My family life is very important to me... all those years of hard slog in the corporate world with no meaningful personal life because it was under constant onslaught from work made me very aware of my priorities.

Have a cosy evening in, mignonette!

MarshaBrady Fri 30-Nov-12 19:28:47

Family life in a lovely part of Paris does sound divine indeed Bonsoir.

Getting dh to do a drop off and actually see the school is one of my favourite things. We agree that the first school was gorgeous and the second, well, we agree on our verdict with that one too.

Although my plan to diminish the drudge of the school run is underway and by chance I bumped into two mothers on my street who do the same journey every day. It was funny as we chatted and smiled then finally admitted how much we hated it, in hushed tones. Feel a bit better knowing this and can share or something.

Aw at drunken declarations of love mignonette. Bad luck on the lap top. Ds2 pushed dh's mac off the table once, I declared I knew nothing (was in the same room day dreaming). Luckily dh loves buying macs so he finally got excited about the opportunity but I was in the bad books before he clocked his eyes on a 27" mac.

It is very cold here too.

Topazandpearl Fri 30-Nov-12 19:54:28

Very cold here in the NW as well. Have had a very busy few weeks but recovering tonight with a little retail therapy. The Red Direct code (40% off until 3rd Dec with MERRY1240) previously posted has helped with some Christmas shopping, for me and others! Sorry about the laptop mignonette. Your fri evening sounds lovely bonsoir. Have a lovely weekend everyone.

Bonsoir Sat 01-Dec-12 16:50:27

I had lunch out with two girlfriends, one of whom was up from Geneva for the weekend, and conversation turned to schools and to the school run. We all agreed that the school run is dire (and mine is by a long way the least dire of the three of us, but I do it more often - up to four times day) and only gets more tedious as our children grow. Makes me think, because I want to move DD to another school... how far are we prepared to travel?

Had a lovely afternoon with DP (and DD in tow, but she was being angelic) choosing an armchair for him - a huge, comfortable, man-snooze-sized one. He is feeling quite low at the moment, as work is a huge struggle (as it is for everyone, and he is grateful to have a good job). Choosing an armchair was good for his morale!

MarshaBrady Sun 02-Dec-12 17:31:56

Sounds lovely Bonsoir. Yes the school run, it is the pits. I have now swapped some days with neighbour but I am feeling a bit stressed about having to take even more children on my turn. So am only swapping one day to see how I feel. Would you consider moving or do you love where you are too much?

Dh bought a beautiful Bang & Olufsen analogue music thing (record, radio) something. Anyway the sound is beautiful, rich and deep. Sometimes digital just doesn't cut it in the same way. And he too is very happy now.

Had a lovely lunch yesterday, and to a party. Ended up being a very long event lasting nearly all day, but was great. Feeling a bit jaded today.

Hi Topaz!

Dona how are you doing?

This thread is not accepting new messages.