I bloody love the MN haircut.

(745 Posts)
Psammead Fri 10-Feb-12 14:59:05

I've been doing it for 2 years now. I don't even want to know how much money I would have spend in the meantime at the salon. It's so easy! And I have the confidence now to try different styles, different ponytail positions etc. Goodbye long layers, hello shoulder length cut! And I don't have to sit in the hairdressers chair and cringe because I hate it when they brush my hair due to an old skull fracture.

That and the mooncup. Saved me a fortune!

Brilliant!

ReindeerOutdoors Thu 27-Dec-12 08:33:26

Oh no, every time I read these threads I get tempted to do it, even though I massively regretted it last time....

FairyTrain Thu 27-Dec-12 07:56:46

I did this last night too. I was ill at the start of the month so had to cancel my hair appointment and couldn't get another one. My hair was flat and annoying me, now it's bouncy and beautiful! I tied the back in a ponytail and cut across too shock so it's quite blunt but I love it! When I showed DH he insisted that we are not that poor and I can go to a hairdresser (bless!) but
I LOVE IT! Thanks Psammead

Fakebook Wed 26-Dec-12 21:29:38

I did it this this evening and am absolutely bloody shocked at how brilliant it looks! I have very very thick heavy hair so getting the beard brush shape was a bit a hard and took a few cuts to get right, but my hair is shorter (just at the shoulders at the back) and lighter with a longish fringe and just so beautifully layered I can't stop running my hands through it! I showed my sister on Skype and she was amazed that I'd cut it myself. I've just saved so much time and money, extremely happy with the results smile.

TrillsCarolsOutOfTune Wed 26-Dec-12 14:51:53

Good luck!

ReindeerOutdoors Wed 26-Dec-12 11:22:56

Let us know...

Fakebook Tue 25-Dec-12 15:27:27

I just read this whole thread in complete awe. It's been one whole year since I had a hair cut (had it chopped for ds's imminent birth) and haven't had the time or inclination to book into the hairdresser since. My hair is too long and pissing me off. It's always either in a bun or plaited (bleugh). I'm doing this tomorrow. If it goes wrong then so be it. That'll give me the kick up the bum to get to my hairdresser ASAP.

SomebodySaveMe Tue 11-Sep-12 15:27:30

I did my side fringe earlier from a YouTube vid. Going to attempt this tonight. Do you think DD is too young for it? She's 2 but her hair looks a bit straggly!

Muddymallard Mon 10-Sep-12 16:50:54

Well i never, done it! grin Chuffed to bits thanks Psammead saved myself £70! It looks really ok, I'm more pleased with the results than I would be walking out of my overpriced salon, just need to sort condition, drench my hair in Frangipani oil, another MN tip.

I have also bought a mooncup today!

Ooh I am spoiling myself, might even have a manicure later chopped down 15 foot fir tree today. Resourceful creatures aren't we, up yours recession!

WitchOfEndor Sat 10-Mar-12 10:01:28

Ok, I've done it! I've got a little bit of a fringe but I can still tuck it behind my ear so it's ok. I'll do it again deffo because I grudge paying at the hairdressers for essentially the same hairdo. I feel liberated
<swishes hair>
<tucks hair behind ear again>

I did mine today, was long overdue for a trim <sounds professional>. I only took a bit off as my hair is at its longest for years but good result as usual. smile

FarloRigel Sun 04-Mar-12 18:01:15

Done! I only took two inches to tidy up the split ends which it did very nicely. The unicorn was surprisingly even before I started, which confirmed my suspicion that it's basically the same hairstyle. I'm so pleased because I can't find a hairdresser I like as much where I live now as the one back home and it removes the need to have disasters trying new ones!

hazeyjane Fri 02-Mar-12 20:06:37

I have done it on me and the dds this week, dd2 has very fine curly hair - a bit like candyfloss, it really worked well on hers, dd1's is dead straight,long with a blunt fringe - hers was trickier, but came out very well with a bit of tidying afterwards. I've been growing mine out from a very short crop for ages, and it was a really good way of getting some of the weight out (very thick hair).

TrollopDollop Fri 02-Mar-12 20:02:23

Your hair looks great Psammead and your daughter is gorgeous. Love the pic of her in the slong smile

MamaMimi Wed 29-Feb-12 20:16:43

I did this on my longish, wavy hair.

It doesn't look an awful lot different but has improved because there is more body to it now, rather than it looking like it is being dragged down by the length and the weight, because the layers were longer before.

SpannerPants Wed 22-Feb-12 12:15:34

I did this earlier on - cut about 3 inches off my waist length hair so it's not made a huge difference length wise but it feels lighter thanks to the layers smile

I did mine this morning! Love it! Even DH complimented me. It didn't take much of the length like other people have said, but that's ok!
One of my friends has asked me this morning if I could do hers next grin

HSMM Sun 19-Feb-12 19:41:28

My 12 yr old saw me doing my hair the other day and went off and did her own today. She is very happy with the layers in hee curly hair.

diddl Sun 19-Feb-12 08:35:44

I´m glad it´s working for so many.

I think that my hair isn´t long enough-just shoulder length-also, I don´t want a fringe!

WhyAlwaysBoris Sat 18-Feb-12 21:42:36

Another positive review!

Just snipped away. I cut it longer and then re-cut much shorter for a second time so i've ended up with a fringe. It is a very nice haircut- not sure the fringe entirely suits my chubby cheeks, probably should have left it an inch or two longer. But i'm very happy with it nonetheless because it is an actual shape instead of its previous dead straight and staggly bag-lady impersonation.

Thanks for the idea OP

cheesebaby Sat 18-Feb-12 19:57:49

Another very happy customer here grin

I have very thick, wavy, just between shoulder and bra strap length hair, which had some very long and uninspiring layers in courtesy of my last cut in November. I ran straighteners through, did a unicorn and pulled the bobble down far enough that I only chopped about two and a half inches off. A bit of random snippy snippy stabby stabby later and I have the cut I always wanted but never bloody managed to get at the hairdresser with layers starting at about jaw length. I didn't take anything off the overall length, I don't think, but it's got rid of the awful hangy curtains I had before which always put me off wearing my hair down.

I would never in a million years have dared try this without this thread, so thank you!! thanks

DD's hair is done... it feels much better already no more split ends!
Been trying to get my hair tied, but I just can't manage to get it all nice and smooth... anyone tips? or will I have to wait till DH gets home so he can assist?

Right... I've just read through it all! will attempt DD and me later... grin
DD who is 3 has never had her hair cut before, so will only do a little bit, she says she likes long hair wink

Chickensinthekitchen Sat 18-Feb-12 15:37:01

Diddi i cut the unicorn very long ( i measured a jaw length piece and added a bit)
I got a jenfer annisten cut. I have very thick hair so it looks good.
I would tnk moving the unicorn back would put your layers on top of your head!!! So a fringe on the top.....
i would just be over cautious, i cut mine thinking i might need to do it again, i didn't.
there are loads of demos online....enjoy

countessbabycham Sat 18-Feb-12 15:30:06

Oh Plenty I'd love to have seen pictures of the before,after,and after the after grin

Maybe the satisfaction of this cut does depend ultimately on whether it suits the individual.

It was the haircut my hair had been waiting for all its life! Its perked me up no end,and I've even been spurred on to change where my parting goes...

<living on the edge...>

There, that's better smile

I'll probably thin the back out a little more over the next few days and it's not quite as even as it could be but it looks not bad at all, suits me a lot better and isn't in my face. It's just about collar length and layered all over.

diddl, wherever the ponytail is, that will be where the hair is shortest, so to put it further back could produce some odd results. I think some people on this thread did do that though, so perhaps read back and see how they got on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now