Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can we carry on talking about MNSN til we get a Chat Thread sorted out?

(209 Posts)
EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Tue 12-Mar-13 08:25:26

Just wanted to link to this before the other thread got full.

TheNebulousBoojum Tue 12-Mar-13 08:26:50

Sounds like a good idea to me, an informal chatty thread means that people can pop in and out, and they can ask questions without any stress.

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Tue 12-Mar-13 08:28:41

Just copying this over from the last thread.

'I was thinking along the lines of Starlight's idea. Have a Welcome to Holland the Chat Thread on MNSN, the first post could explain what it's about, then a link to Honking and Caring Carrots, maybe, then each week a link to the ongoing Chat thread in OTBT for that month? I think they get deleted after 30 days. Keep bumping the MNSN linky thread.'

MerryCouthyMows Tue 12-Mar-13 08:35:02

Lost? Will have to catch up on reading the other thread.

TheNebulousBoojum Tue 12-Mar-13 08:36:57

Enjoy!

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Tue 12-Mar-13 08:38:11
justaboutalittlefrazzled Tue 12-Mar-13 08:43:31

Yes, sounds good to me.

Maryz Tue 12-Mar-13 08:53:11

That was an extraordinarily well-timed last post on the other thread EllenJane [impressed]

Galena Tue 12-Mar-13 09:20:09

Do OTBT threads disappear 30 days after starting, or after they have been inactive for 30 days? If 30 days after starting and we have a monthly thread, you might be halfway through a discussion when it goes poof! Maybe worth doing a new one every 2 weeks...?

porridgeLover Tue 12-Mar-13 09:40:19

Marking place. (too tired for anything philosophical after night with wakeful DD1 who wanted to watch the snow at stupid o'clock)
Anyone got coffee?

silverfrog Tue 12-Mar-13 10:00:27

I totally understand why people might want an OTBT thread.

but I still have the same reservations as last time it was mooted - that posters would chat about the difficult times, the bits they don't want hanging around, and valuable advice would be lost.

Maybe it's just me. I still search the archives if I have an issue, because I want (as always) a range of advice, and fashions/current thinking changes. what is popularly advised now might not be the solution which suits us best, or the poster who might have proposed the best solution may not beposting anymore - just last week I worked out how to deal with something quite troublesome by re-reading old SN threads.

I would hate that to be lost because advice is posted and then goes poof!

lougle Tue 12-Mar-13 10:14:58

I share those reservations, silverfrog.

It would be great if there were some way HQ could make a thread that was opt-in, opt-in...sort of double opt in grin Then there would be no mistake that you knew it was a SN thread before you posted, etc.

Maryz Tue 12-Mar-13 10:23:54

Yes, I've asked before for an OTBT where threads don't go pooft, so that continual chat threads could continue. I don't actually mind chatting online, even though I'm pretty identifiable, as I'm beyond the stage of tribunals and schools and worrying what people might think of me.

But it seems to be a choice of open to all for ever and ever, or gone in 30 days.

An ongoing support thread in SN would work, wouldn't it? The first time I posted a thread in teenagers about really troubled teenagers I got slammed by a whole lot of people. Recently I started one entitled "support thread" and asked at the start for parents of toddlers and those who think cannabis is fun people with simplistic solutions to stay away. And they have, which has surprised me.

I share those reservations. I don't like OTBT for that reason, and I don't like PMs for that reason either and rarely respond to questions via PM. (It's a dangerous strategy for an OP and too much responsibility for me to be the only person commenting on a situation).

troutsprout Tue 12-Mar-13 10:35:20

<< whispers>>
What is otbt please

It's a secret part of MN, where you can talk but the information doesn't come up on search engines. I don't think it is in active convos either so you have to go there specifically.

It is where some people go as a group to discuss something in 'private' though anyone could read it and post if they made the effort to hunt it down.

Maryz Tue 12-Mar-13 10:39:32

Oh, yes, exactly that on pm's.

trout, it's a topic called Off The Beaten Track

Maryz Tue 12-Mar-13 10:40:01

Sorry, maybe I shouldn't have linked?

I don't like it for MNSN because I think the value in this board is that the information is always on display.

I also think the nature of SN issues can be emotionally draining and hate the thought of a group of posters going to OTBT to support a particular high need poster and getting caught up without any objective observation and other contributions.

And finally, I hate the idea that a problem is solved collectively by a group of MN who put in hours of their time, for that solution to be lost instead of available to lurkers and future people that have similar issues.

I don't think linking to it is against the rules.

troutsprout Tue 12-Mar-13 10:41:48

Aha ... Clearly passed me by ( there's a surprise)
That sounds like work

Maryz Tue 12-Mar-13 10:46:11

I agree with all those reasons Starlight.

But I think the most important one is the emotionally draining thing. If a thread is started in OTBT, by it's very nature only those who are told about it know about it, so you don't have fresh minds coming to it all the time. If I, for example, started to support you there, but then I couldn't (or didn't want to) any more, that would leave you feeling pretty abandoned.

I feel the same about OTBT threads about mh issues. I think they are isolating and can be dangerous.

bochead Tue 12-Mar-13 10:47:50

Another one who likes to search the archives of SN.

Certain topics seem to go in and out of fashion like dietry interventions or the current PDA fad, yet often the info I need on a specific issue is at the back of the queue, so to speak.

I felt on the last thread there was a section where it got a bit out of hand where perhaps 1/2 the partcipants where having a 2nd convo somewhere else like via pm's or facebook? That meant the rest of us got well confused and some people more than a little irritated.

Aso share the reservtions re pm's simply cos I'm only one Mum, and don't have all the answers iykwim. Often I've been corrected on the main forum.

I don't see why the regular Friday night thread can't just be renamed "The Goose and Carrot" but the chat continue in a meandering fashion throughout the week rather than at a set time, that so many miss. A new thread could then be started every Friday just so it doesn't get full.

troutsprout Tue 12-Mar-13 10:49:38

Thank you for link ... lol its just laziness on my part tbh. I wouldn't even have gone looking without link grin
Oh it's not just Sn ?
I only do Sn or camping.... Life is easier i find

Oooh, now camping is something I really do need to spend some time on.

Not been there much at all, and tbh with the current weather thing it doesn't quite feel appropriate, but really, I LOVE camping and would live in a tent if it wasn't so blimming cold in this country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now