Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can we talk about MNSN, and the community/support/chat etc?

(1000 Posts)
silverfrog Tue 05-Mar-13 11:23:43

This thread may not be a good idea. I am severely sleep deprived (ds has decided yet again that sleep is for the weak, and I have had about 4 hours sleep since Sunday), and had the morning from hell getting dd2 off on a school trip - change of routine, needed ot wear tracksuit not uniform, different drop off/pick up - you all know the score. If you all think it is a bad idea, please feel free to report and have it deleted.

Anyway.

Can we have a thread where we try to sort out some of the perceived isues with MNSN?

I keep seeing, on the main boards, posts saying that MNSN is not suportive. That some faces don't fit. That it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Fine. I get that not everybody is the same, and may not want the same things form this board as me, or other posters. But it isn't really said here, and so we don't reallt get right of reply.

It's a bit like talking about us behind our backs.

I know there have ben disagreements and differences over the years. I have been part of some of them, but on the whole I thought we muddled through quite well - expcially given that we are all under a reasonable amount of stress most of the time, and that we all face fairly different challenges on a daily basis.

So - what do people want form MNSN? Is there anything we (as a community) can do to welcome people who feel left out? Anythign we can do to help posters who lurk rather than post?

I am rather hoping htis might be a moving forward discussion, rather than a re-hash of any he said/she said grievances. BUt as I said earlier, maybe this is entirely misguided. Sorry if it is.

zzzzz Mon 11-Mar-13 17:25:48

Oo now obviously I meant " bring me great joy", but "Mr Great Joy" sounds shock grin interesting.

PolterGoose Mon 11-Mar-13 17:40:03

Yes, zzzzz who is this Mr Great Joy? grin

zzzzz Mon 11-Mar-13 17:51:35

Well off to parents evening, so perhaps it's yet to come? How's the fooderamma going?

PolterGoose Mon 11-Mar-13 18:02:25

Fooderama has come to a halt. Which is fine. We made more progress with food last week in 4 days than we had made in the previous 7 years grin

Hope parents evening goes well thanks

hazeyjane Mon 11-Mar-13 18:25:17

Hope parent's evening goes well, zzzzz and Mr Great Joy is all he's cracked up to be grin

If he has time maybe he could visit Wiltshire way, I have had my own personal rain cloud following me around all day.

TheNebulousBoojum Mon 11-Mar-13 18:52:02

'We made more progress with food last week in 4 days than we had made in the previous 7 years'

DS makes progress like that, never smooth, always a sudden lurch and he can do something that was previously impossible to consider. Last thing was catching a train on his own to London to meet a friend, and using the underground without company.

'Ah, so they would be equivalent to the very helpful posts in teenagers saying things like "I wouldn't allow that" and "my children wouldn't stay out/steal/smoke/whatever" and "why don't you just ground him?".'

Yes. That's something a caring carrot would say, and they'd do it with a slight incline of the head, a concerned look and possibly a small pat on the arm.

btw, I have never heard of a MNer being accused of caring carrotology. I think it has been exclusively mentioned in relation to a professional who should KNOW that fecking sticker charts don't work for children with PDA or that children with ASD don't learn social skills simply from BEING under the table spinning things IN a preschool.

bialystockandbloom Mon 11-Mar-13 20:57:52

Mary, you just need to set some boundaries, y'know? wink

Maryz Mon 11-Mar-13 21:44:43

Oh, yes, ds had a counsellor who was the master of caring carrotry.

She thought I was a control freak hmm, and then said she wouldn't see him any more when following her advice led him to run away and sleep rough for a week. Fucker.

bialy, I know, I am a sad failure of a mother grin

hazeyjane Mon 11-Mar-13 22:31:18

Before the thread is all filled up, does anyone think an ongoing general chat thread would be a good idea? Open and welcoming to everyone on the sn board, and not about anything particular.

There is probably a really good reason why this is bad idea, but it has been nice to dip in and out of this thread, and interesting to see the different twists and turns it has taken.

Galena Mon 11-Mar-13 22:35:14

Yeah, I think it would be nice - I don't know if the Friday night thread still happens, but I would always miss it and then feel like I couldn't chat any other time of the week...

zzzzz Mon 11-Mar-13 22:46:29

I like the concept of the Friday night thread, because I pretend I have a life. grin but actually this is much more accessible for me because I can dip in and out, and also I find it really difficult keeping track of everyone's week blush

MN SN common room? Or perhaps bar? "The Goose and Carrot" your local MNSN Tavern, though perhaps the anti geese wouldn't like it?

justaboutalittlefrazzled Mon 11-Mar-13 22:48:27

I would LOVE a general chat thread. Friday night is (obviously) not Friday night for me.

hazeyjane Mon 11-Mar-13 22:52:58

I like the idea of it being like a coffee shop or pub, where you can pop in and out, and see who is in, although I have a feeling I would end up being one of those Barflys who prop up the bar every day, just soaking up the conversation! One of the thongs that has even nice about this thread is that it isn't limited to people with younger or older children or children with ASD or any particular sn, but we all have a common thread in our lives.

justaboutalittlefrazzled Mon 11-Mar-13 22:54:08

I wonder if it would be worth approaching MNHQ to ask if it is a thread that could be deleted - I do see what some people mean about privacy. Just a chat-to-be-deleted-thread, because you CAN'T start a thread in chat about SN, it would be invaded by "just use consequences"

hazeyjane Mon 11-Mar-13 22:54:25

Aargh, 'things' not 'thongs'blush

<thongs are an alien concept in Hazeyjane house>

hazeyjane Mon 11-Mar-13 22:56:48

Hello Justa!

Yes a thread with a shelf life would be good, the trouble with the sn chat thread on off the beaten track was that no-one knew we were there!

PolterGoose Mon 11-Mar-13 22:58:58

The Goose and Carrot grin

It can have links to the goose and carrot threads

Maryz Mon 11-Mar-13 23:05:24

Yes, we had an adoption tea room at one stage which was nice. But there weren't enough of us (only about ten regular posters) so it sank too quickly.

I might revive it, actually. It was nice to keep updated as to where everyone was.

coff33pot Mon 11-Mar-13 23:45:33

HONESTLY!

I go visit family and come back and the thread has another twist into Mr Great Joys and thongs! shock

And then the recommendation of a pub!

Sounds great idea as long as there is cake too smile

alwayslateforwork Tue 12-Mar-13 04:10:49

Carrot cake?

alwayslateforwork Tue 12-Mar-13 04:11:01

<innocent>

You know you could have a weekly chat thread that STARTS on a friday night in OTBT and is titled the date.

Then you could start a thread in MNSN called 'The Goose and Carrot', and post a link on it every Friday to the new OTBT thread.

A bit contrived but it would work.

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Tue 12-Mar-13 08:26:24

Argh, sorry this is the last post, but I was thinking along the lines of Starlight's idea. Have a Welcome to Holland the Chat Thread on MNSN, the first post could explain what it's about, then a link to Honking and Caring Carrots, maybe, then each week a link to the ongoing Chat thread in OTBT for that month? I think they get deleted after 30 days. Keep bumping the MNSN linky thread.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/special_needs/1705982-Can-we-carry-on-talking-about-MNSN-til-we-get-a-Chat-Thread-sorted-out

In the meantime, above thread to keep discussing this idea?

This thread is not accepting new messages.