High Needs Baby Support Group (thread IV)

(961 Posts)

Yoohooo! Over here!

<Waves>

The last thread was filling up so I've started us a sparkling new one.

The original thread was to support those of us with babies fitting the following criteria:

1. Feeds frequently daytime
2. Feeds frequently nighttime
3. Needs to be constantly held
4. Wont sleep alone
5. Hates the car seat/pram
6. Short naps

Some of our babies have grown out of some of those now, but we're still here to support each other through the sleepless nights and noisy car journeys and to offer hugs, chocolate and wine to anyone who's struggling.

So if that list sounds familiar then come and join us as we delight in our active, inquisitive, curious and restless babies or toddlers!

Oopla Fri 28-Dec-12 00:24:38

Hello waves can I join in please?
After 10 months of torturous behaviour I think it's time I admitted that my 3rd baby is in fact high needs. Or a baby terrorist grin

Have you all had a nice Christmas?

ticklemyboobsofsteel Fri 28-Dec-12 08:44:43

<waves to Oopla> Welcome! Come on in!

We had a lovely Christmas, ta. How was yours?

Hope everyone here is okay. Big cheers for the sleepers, and lots of <caffeine and matchsticks> for the parents of the non-sleepers!

DS will be 18 months in January. I don't know where the time has gone. Looking back, it has flown by. But when in the middle of the sleepless nights of his first year, it felt like eternity grin He's working on his canines at the moment (only his two-year molars to go after that! He's more teeth than baby!) and one has finally poked through up top - it looks evil, all pointy and pain-inducing. I sure won't miss teething when it's all over - they must suffer so much with it. I was shown a picture of a child's skull before they begin teething the other day - it looks horrendous! If you've not seen it, Google it but maybe make sure you've not just eaten and are sitting down I'm not sure where I thought the teeth came from, but I found it shudder-inducing!

DH is with his MIL at the moment. She is really struggling. She's always had mental health issues and we think she's bi-polar. But her anxiety is through the roof at the moment - it's terrifying how much she has changed in just the past few months. Lots of really concerning behaviour. She's having yet another assessment today - am hoping there will be another change in her medication as the anti-anxieties are clearly not working. Never seen her like this. I'm worried that, if nothing helps, she will need more care than either DH, his sister and myself can give her sad

Blimey, what an essay. Hope you're all well <snaffles brownie, gobbles it up>

ticklemyboobsofsteel Fri 28-Dec-12 13:31:51

So, my non buggy sleeping toddler appears to have fallen asleep in his buggy. Tis a Christmas miracle! But it now means I'm stuck wandering the streets until he wakes up and the sky is threatening to unleash. Just like old times <nostalgic>

I hope you didn't get too wet tickle? Sorry to hear that your MIL is so bad atm. I hope she improves soon, or that you get some proper support.

Natmu I'm glad you liked the brownies! smile I have a chocolate sponge recipe as well if you're interested (that's what I make the children's birthday cakes from).

Welcome Oopla, make yourself at home! smile

My tiny little baby boy is now one year old! And walking! It's gone so fast. I'm sure DD's first year wasn't this quick! He seems so grown up already. sad He's very wheezy atm so I took him back to the doctor this morning. Apparently it's normal after a bout of bronchiolotis and should go in a week or two, but he's prescribed an inhaler in the meantime. That's even more fun to get into DS than the antibiotics were, even with the volumatic thingy! confused

Nightmoves Sat 29-Dec-12 01:45:03

tickle that's rough about your MIL. Hope she gets the help she needs soon. No wonder you are all concerned. Also just checked out those pics of the teeth/skull. Yuck!! Horror movie stuff! Explains all the shouting poor babies. We are STILL waiting on the top two. And DS has cold now too so have Vicks menthol plug in, rub for his chest, teething granules and calpol on the go. Feel like a pharmacist. He has been up since 10pm and has temp too. Poor soul <helps self to matchsticks and coffee>.

joyful happy belated birthday to Baby Joyful. That is rubbish about the wheezing. Is he/you managing with the spacer ok? They can be tricky at first for adults never mind trying to get a wee one to use it. Hope he feels better soon.

Natmu Sat 29-Dec-12 03:50:56

Joyful yes please to the choc sponge recipe smile.

It's so exciting that DS is walking. It always amazes me how much change they go through in one short year. I look at DS1 now and marvel at all that has been already for him.

We have inhaler thingy for DS1 who is 4 and still doesn't get the full effect of it because they're so difficult to use. If you feel at any point that DS is struggling or wheezing too much then go to A&E as they might want to nebulise him if the inhaler is not getting through.

Here you go Natmu:

5oz plain flour
1oz cocoa
1tsp baking powder
5oz soft brown sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 tbsp vanilla
5 tbsp olive/vegetable oil
6 tbsp rice milk

Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa into bowl, add soft brown sugar. Whisk 2 egg yolks with vanilla, olive oil & rice milk. Add to flour & beat. Whip 2 egg whites till stiff, fold into flour mix.

Put in tin (one 8 inch deep one or two smaller ones). Bake at 180°C/gas 5 for about half hour, or 25 mins for two smaller ones. You can also use muffin tins if you want smaller cakes, and I've discovered that the Pure sunflower margarine makes fairly decent butter icing. smile

Thanks for the tips about the inhaler. Atm DS really doesn't like having the mask on his face but I've given it to him to play with so hopefully it won't be such a big deal. He was so wheezy last night - if I laid a hand on his back I could feel it. confused

Ah well done mini Puddle! How exciting. Maybe it will tire him out?

I was hoping but no, no discernible difference! hmm

I hope everyone has a nice evening planned - I'm being a bit grumpy and hoping that the wind and rain keeps fireworks to a minimum! grin

As we're almost at the end of this thread shall I start a new one? Then we can have a shiny new thread for the new year and I will be able to see what I'm writing as I type it instead of waiting for 30 seconds for it to appear

Good idea Joyful. Happy New Year! Just about to break out the scrabble here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now