Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

DRY 5

(476 Posts)
allhailqueenmab Sat 19-Jul-14 22:09:02

Starting this before the old one gets filled up!
this is the thread for the alcohol free.
Join us!

Fattymcbatty Sat 19-Jul-14 23:07:36

Hello, marking my place as I love our thread! thanks

Lucy2610 Sat 19-Jul-14 23:12:30

I'm in! Off to bed with me sleep easy herbal tea smile

Fattymcbatty Sun 20-Jul-14 00:48:59

I'm on day 8, feeling great but am really over compensating with chocolate.... guess I'm going to have to address this before I pile on the weight. Anyone else replaced booze with something naughty but nice?

CornChips Sun 20-Jul-14 07:49:47

Hello new thread!

Fatty, I also replaced with chocolate and crisps - neither of which I like generally.

Put on 7 pounds which I am still trying to shift.

merce Sun 20-Jul-14 09:18:32

Hello all! Have been away from the thread for a bit, but just had a good catch up and wanted to mark my place on the new thread.

Welcome to all lovely newcomers. And Darkness, I just lived loved loved your post on what a sober Christmas is like. Spot on. Being a sober mother at Christmas is a blessing, not a punishment.

Have been v remiss re my AA meetings recently and my mood/behaviour/tolerance has deteriorated in predictable way..... Need to get my arse into gear - always that much harder during school hols, tho.

SundayMorningComingDown Sun 20-Jul-14 09:53:58

I loved the sober xmas post too. I want a xmas like that.
Fuck chocolate. I woke up this morning and thought "there is no SEX in my life!"
Seriously, not for (gulp) years.
Maybe I could replace booze with sex?
Just need to meet a willing victim partner.
Anyhoo, glad to see you all.. I am hopefully back on the straight and narrow after a shitty couple of months in RL, during which I stayed sober and hated it, or drank and hated myself, but I am trying again properly, like I knew I would because stay on this thread and I see that it's possible.
I hope it's possible for me. Feel a bit of a lost cause tbh.x

MistressofPemberley Sun 20-Jul-14 11:19:14

Just popping on to say hello on new thread. Back from a fabulous wedding yesterday. Bloody love being sober at weddings. Danced my little socks off. Up at 6 with baby and no hangover. Hard at first as all the booze was from a local vineyard and was my absolute favourite wine, but once I got over it, and started smelling that sour smell on people's breath I remembered that after 3 plus glasses, no wine is nice anymore.

Not far off 5 months now, and while I still get pangs every now and then, I've never felt better. I replaced the booze with sugar, and then the sugar with exercise so I am fit as a fiddle and slimmer than I've been for years. Not showing off, just wanted to reassure that it can be done.

Keep on trucking everyone.

Lucy2610 Sun 20-Jul-14 11:36:45

Morning all smile
FMcB I replaced it with chocolate and cake for a good 6 months but things improved naturally after that so don't worry too much it will right itself in time imo.
mistress - awesome job!! I'd be well chuffed with myself and be lining up a lovely sober treat as a reward wink

Haggismcbaggis Sun 20-Jul-14 12:07:30

Hi everyone. A new thread - fabulous!
Mistress - so well done on the wedding. Gives me hope for my first one in September. And 5 months - that's so cool.

stayingdry Sun 20-Jul-14 19:22:56

Here on the new thread.
try subbing your sugar fix, chocolate with a diet fizzy popsmile

CornChips Mon 21-Jul-14 07:11:19

Morning all. [waves]

Bigglesfliesundone Mon 21-Jul-14 08:36:16

Just checking into the trendy new thread grin.

stayingdry Mon 21-Jul-14 09:49:49

got 10 assorted builders in, bathroom and kitchen refit, not feeling the serenity todaysad Then I remember that if it was last year my only concern would be how to sneak my drinking inangry coming upto 11 months, one day at a time.
Had to miss last 3 AA meetings and feeling it, but going tonight and can't wait, need to get my fixgrin

Bigglesfliesundone Mon 21-Jul-14 13:12:07

Nine months next Monday. Quite astounded that I have actually done this grin

Lucy2610 Mon 21-Jul-14 18:10:40

Afternoon all!
Congrats stayingdry on almost 11 months and Biggles on 9 months. I'm 10 months today grin

stayingdry Mon 21-Jul-14 18:31:03

lucy,10 month birthday, fantasticwink grin and bighles brilliantsmile grin

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Tue 22-Jul-14 00:29:21

Look at how well everyone's doing. I love it! Mistress I particularly always like your updates, because you're just a squeak ahead of me. I have not replaced anything with exercise, admittedly, but everything else you've said rings true here as well.

CornChips Tue 22-Jul-14 06:57:09

Morning all. smile

Fingers crossed for another glorious day.

CornChips Tue 22-Jul-14 11:11:27

God a scary thing just happened to me. Sorry, feel a bit unsettled, and have to share.

I have been finding the last few days hard and feel as if am building up to a slip. I have really been resisting. Today I was driving at speed along a dual carriageway, thinking if I would just pop in and get a bottle. I was really focused on the yes/no yes/no of it. Anyway, I changed lanes at 40 miles an hour without thinking and without looking in my mirrors. I was seriously so intent on the internal struggle. Thank GOD there was no-one around me, but FFS I COULD HAVE CAUSED A CRASH. I am so shocked at myself.

I feel really shaky and like I seriously don't want to get in my car again today.

Thank heavens my wakeup reminder to take more care did not cause an accident. Thank God for that.

Haggismcbaggis Tue 22-Jul-14 11:58:04

Cornchips. That's scary. On both levels. Is there anything that has triggered these thoughts. Anything you think would help avoid it happening again. Invariably for me when I stop and think about the HALT acronym (hungry, angry, lonely or tired) - it's one of those things I'm feeling. So I try and address those with something and soon the desire to drink passes.

I'm really glad you are ok.

CornChips Tue 22-Jul-14 12:03:05

I just feel so so stupid to have been so pre-occupied while driving. When I think about it is is horrifying.

A good reminder to myself.

Lonely and tired has been what it has been the past few days. DH is away again for work. I have been getting up about 4.30 to try and finish a work project.

Had a treat planned for trigger times today- driving DS and I to the beach and fish and chips. I don't really want to drive again today.

Haggismcbaggis Tue 22-Jul-14 12:15:10

How about a picnic in your garden or nearest green space. No cooking needed - than bed when your son goes to bed - with a movie or rubbishy book

CornChips Tue 22-Jul-14 12:20:13

Yes. Perfect. smile Walk to the fish and chip shop then to the park near us. Then definitely bed for me when DS goes. And I am awash with rubbishy books. grin

Sorry, I sound whiney. It has seriously shaken me up.

Haggismcbaggis Tue 22-Jul-14 12:38:31

You don't sound whiny. You sound self-aware and that must be a good thing.

I think of all the times my driving was dangerous in the morning due to hangovers and on occasion I'm would probably have tested over the limit if it had been a late one. Think of all thosebmornings you've avoided recently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now