Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

DH's gift to OW

(182 Posts)
madgered Thu 17-Jan-13 19:48:52

Tell me what you think. My DH gave OW a £250 bracelet for Christmas. I saw a text he sent saying; "Hi gorgeous. Happy Christmas x". He says it was just a flirtation and nothing sexual happened. He says they met a couple of times for lunch and spoke on the phone quite a lot. What would you think if you were me?

MadAboutHotChoc Thu 17-Jan-13 20:26:34

I would be livid that he spent some of our hard earned cash on OW and that he has chosen to cheat as a way of resolving his issues.

They always deny and minimise everything.

My advice is to tell him to go away and give you space and time to consider whether you still want to be married to someone who thinks so little of his wife.

Get shirley Glass's Not Just Good Friends.

ProphetOfDoom Thu 17-Jan-13 20:32:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sunnysss Thu 17-Jan-13 20:42:52

poor you. do you know the ow? what has he said?

SomethingProfound Thu 17-Jan-13 20:43:38

So angry for you!

This is such a horrid betrayal, I agree with others if he is spending that kind of money on her then its an affair.

Don't let him try and talk his way out of this, you deserve better.

I hope your ok Madgered,

Xales Thu 17-Jan-13 20:44:49

What I think?

Did the box and the bracelet come from the same place?

Sounds like he may have spent ages shopping for the perfect gift for the person he really cares about and threw in a box for the person he had to buy a present for while in there.

I can't think of many reasons a married man would spend that much on a woman the only had a little flirtation with...

scottishmummy Thu 17-Jan-13 20:54:07

ok,so ignore the kick his nuts,nail the bastard.usual mn hyperbole
do get practical, keep any collateral evidence texts,receipts if from joint account
if you chose to instruct solicitor it all useful. what a ghastly situation.are you ok?

OpheliasWeepingWillow Thu 17-Jan-13 20:55:56

Sorry unless you are millionaires who give out expensive gifts like sweets he is in love with her.

sad

scottishmummy Thu 17-Jan-13 21:01:46

see you have the receipt,and text. save them safely.thats significant evidence

madgered Thu 17-Jan-13 21:05:42

We're in the early stages of divorce at the moment. This was the bottom line for me.

But because he won't admit it to me and he's told my older DC that it was nothing, and they believe him! It really haunts me. I'm doing really well working through my grief, seeing a counsellor, reading lots of self help books I'm coming out of it now.

But this issue is a persistent bugger that won't go away. I think I would be able to get over it properly if I knew that he really did or didn't. If he really was having an affair or if he was flashing his cash in order to get into her knickers. Either way its awful. But knowing for sure will help me move on. sad

AnyFucker Thu 17-Jan-13 21:08:33

You may never know "for sure" love

Adulterers are liars. The End. Some of them will swear black is white if they think it makes them look better.

Your energies would be better spent working on detaching from him, so that you no longer care.

LesBOFerables Thu 17-Jan-13 21:09:42

I would say with 99% certainty that he was having an affair. It would be very unusual for a man on an ordinary household income to buy a woman expensive jewellery, accompanied by that text message not to be sleeping with her. Short of secret footage of them actually shagging, I'd say that was pretty conclusive evidence.

Numberlock Thu 17-Jan-13 21:15:12

I'd be extremely annoyed he was discussing it with your children, is he trying to get them to take sides?

AnyFucker Thu 17-Jan-13 21:18:20

Involving your children in your relationship is very low indeed

To be honest, I don't think it matters whether it was a proper affair or him trying to get her to have a proper affair with him. Either way his intention was to have an affair. That says everything you need to know. You are much better off without someone who would cheat on you. Now you realise that you can move on with your life.

It doesn't matter that your older DC believe him. That said, I'd be livid that he'd brought them into his and tried to get them on 'his side'. That's really shitty behaviour.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 17-Jan-13 21:20:14

You're still sharing a house?

lubeybooby Thu 17-Jan-13 21:20:58

There's no way it was 'nothing'

ledkr Thu 17-Jan-13 21:22:44

I'd cut off his balls with cheese wire.

madgered Thu 17-Jan-13 21:23:54

Im sorry to say the DC heard the fallout when I discovered this on Boxing Day. They needed explanations mainly my 17 and 22 year old. The other two are younger and weren't in earshot. He's accusing me of turning them against him. I haven't mentioned this to them since. I won't unless they ask. My 22year old DD was terribly upset and believes it was just a flirtation. My 17 DS thinks he's an idiot.

People are so stupid, they just don't think about the hurt and destruction they cause.

Pan Thu 17-Jan-13 21:28:28

madgered - I'd appreciate you want clarity in it for your own very good reason.

I'm pretty sure you have the clarity on this thread. You couldn't be clearer short of walking in on it.

and of course he is going to deny it to the dcs if he can't admit it to you.

Darkesteyes Thu 17-Jan-13 21:45:45

This thread is giving me chills. My dad did this to my mum two years ago. But my mum moved into my room when i moved out 21 yrs ago so its not exactly the same.
OP im sorry you are going through this. Id be bloody livid.

scottishmummy Thu 17-Jan-13 21:58:10

I'm always bemused by the kick Him in clackers,kill him,garrote him,peel him shout outs
what exactly does such yo-yo sista hyperbole add?actually nothing it's like Kyle show
get what real life support you can,gather your pals, and accept it's going to be bumpy

Delayingtactic Thu 17-Jan-13 21:59:48

He's either had an affair or was desperately trying to.

Your poor DC. I cannot imagine being ok with my dad having a 'flirtation' - I would be pretty fucking upset.

I understand why this was the final straw for your marriage. If my DH did this now it would be out of the blue but would indicate that the writing was on the wall for our marriage, even though we don't have other probs.

I don't think given that you have adult children that your STBExH will admit to it, unless its years down the line or the DC have given up on him. Whilst he may not have anything to lose admitting it to you, he has a heck of a lot to lose with your DC.

TheSecondComing Thu 17-Jan-13 22:01:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

madgered Thu 17-Jan-13 22:10:41

Yes delayingtactic. you're right. he's not admitting it to me because like you say, he has a lot to lose with the DC. They're not stupid. they know.

whether he did it or not, the intention was/is there. It's the same thing really. Thanks for helping me think it through. I can go on and work through this now and continue through the healing process and move on. Xx

madgered Thu 17-Jan-13 22:13:28

TheSecondComing lol! I did seriously think of taking an ax to it. butt I returned it to him with a very dignified note explaining why I couldn't accept it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now